Thread: NGD: PRS SE Bernie Marsden

NGD: PRS SE Bernie Marsden

It was just a matter of time- that Avatar 45 had me hankerin' for a Les Paul guitar and, of course, the guitars I have aren't good enough. I looked into what was the best bang for the buck Les Paul type of guitar available for someone who doesn't actually like the fit of a Les Paul. The PRS SE Bernie Marsden seemed to fit the bill.

I found this virtually unplayed 2014 model used and cheap locally. Everything still had the plastic on it and the gig bag straps are tight and unadjusted. I met a nice guy tonight and brought it home. I haven't even heard it though an amp yet! That'll have to wait until a couple of jam sessions tomorrow.

It plays great and sounds nice on the couch!

Sorry for the lousy pic, but I play them, not photograph them, besides, it's late here.

Re: NGD: PRS SE Bernie Marsden

Beautiful top!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Beautiful top!
    Thanks. This guitar has a mahogany body with a maple top and a flamed maple veneer. The flame actually has pretty good movement.

I just played this at a small jam session (3 acoustic guitars and 2 electric) and it sounded great! I'll play it with a complete band tonight with the Avatar 45. It should be good.

Cool, what's the scale length on it?

I never made my peace with the three knob Pauls but that's my shortcoming, not the guitar's.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

24.5" scale length. It feels nice. There's a little lack of versatility due the the lack of a second tone control, but to be honest, it seems like it loses less treble when the volumes are turned down compared to the normal setup. I think the wiring is similar to a Flying V or an Explorer.

I just played a jam with the guitar and my Avatar 45 amp. They sounded awesome! I set the channel volumes to about 6 and the master about halfway up and rode the guitar's volume control to get clean and dirty sounds. Jangly and sparkly clean to Marshall roar. The amp would work just as well set up clean and loud with an overdrive or distortion pedal used for dirt.

I think I've been using little 12-20 watt EL84 and 6V6 amps for too long!
    Last edited by Don; 03-31-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Nice guitar enjoy!

Forum Member

Nice! Enjoy!