Thread: Acoustic set up question

Acoustic set up question

Friends,

as you may have read, I got my first steel strung acoustic (the Washburn parlor) recently.

I had no experience with steel strung acoustics and felt the action a bit too high, so I tightened the truss rod 1/4 turn, the action got a bit better, then I did that again.

Last night a friend came over with his Taylor for some fiddling around and his guitar has a yet less bowed neck, the action being even smoother.

Do you guys think I should give the truss rod another turn or would it be better to take it to a tech? Acoustics have less stuff to tinker while setting up than electrics, as I can surmise, so maybe just some more truss rod rightening will do the trick just fine.

Re: Acoustic set up question

I'd get a setup.... sometimes you need to lower the saddle to improve the action.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Give it a turn. On an acoustic the setup is easy but you can only sand the bottom of the bridge so much and then you need a new one.

I'd level, crown and polish, set the action and then set bridge up.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

"Jusssst one more quarter turn ... *SPANNG*"

Oops

I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, but if is tight don’t force it.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

All righty, the feedback.

Fearing my own lack of experience with setting up acoustics, and since I had the entire free afternoon after a morning in court, I took the guitar to a tech I know, who works at the local instrument shop.

He said he'd rather sand the bridge along with that slight tightening of the truss rod.

The result: the guitar got a pleasant low action, acquired a very nice playability... and a NASTY case of fretbuzz in the lower frets.

Horrible.

I complained and got a new bone nut to replace the one he ruined. I did the job myself and now it plays quite all right and no buzz.

Chalk one more point up for OA (Chuck). I should have done it myself in the first place...

Sérgio, did you get referrals for this tech you used? When I first started getting back into guitar, I took my (then) two guitars to a luthier who I had researched exhaustively and gotten recommendations for. Mind you, this guy was a luthier and not just a "tech." He had several guitars hanging in his shop he was building/restoring. As with many very talented people, he was a bit quirky and not the most amiable guy, but when he put my guitar on his workbench and started measuring and eyeing, I knew they were in good hands.

I would have no qualms about taking any guitar to him. And I have.

On the other hand, you've got hands-on experience that will serve you well in the future. Good for you!

He is indeed no proper luthier, just a guitar shop tech/salesman.

Please, guys, don't get me wrong: I wouldn't let such a dude get anywhere NEAR my Fenders or even my Gibson, which is in many ways a lesser guitar to my own taste. Not in this life.

But I was sure no harm would be done, because this little Washburn is a $150 guitar and all he would do was sand the bone bridge, which is instantly and cheaply replaceable.

Although I am a newcomer when it comes to steel strung acoustics, I am no fool!

Anyway, all's well that ends well, as the Bard would say.