Thread: When In Doubt, Post in The Whammy Bar

When In Doubt, Post in The Whammy Bar

I noticed today's (March 22, 2018) "Stupid Deal of the Day" at Musician's Friend is the XVive U2 Guitar Wireless System. This is the wireless rig I purchased about six months ago. I really like it! In fact, yesterday I was playing and went from my practice area to the kitchen to get a drink of water, and the signal carried well through walls and halls (only about 60 feet or less). Just thought I'd pass it on for those who might be interested.

Re: When In Doubt, Post in The Whammy Bar

Whoa, is that the entire gear? I mean, you plug one into the guitar and the other into the pedalboard/amp and that's it??

That's as cool as it gets! How much does that cost in the US? I like it!

P.S. please pardon my naive question, but I really never cared for anything wireless regarding guitar playing. Now I really got interested! Do you think it is lossless enough for small/medium venue gigging?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Whoa, is that the entire gear? I mean, you plug one into the guitar and the other into the pedalboard/amp and that's it??

That's as cool as it gets! How much does that cost in the US? I like it!
    P.S. please pardon my naive question, but I really never cared for anything wireless regarding guitar playing. Now I really got interested! Do you think it is lossless enough for small/medium venue gigging?
    That's pretty much it. There is a charger included, which will recharge the Li-ion batteries. The original cost in US$ is 154.90. Here's the marketing slug:

Xvive U2 guitar wireless system features digital wireless technology that delivers incredible audio quality, simple setup, and is extremely reliable for gigging musicians. It delivers a full 20 Hz-20 kHz frequency response, so you’ll hear your guitar tone in great detail with only 6ms of latency.

This wireless system operates at 2.4 GHz ISM band for crystal-clear broadcasting ensuring the integrity of your signal on stage and covers 100 feet of range without any signal dropout. The Li-ion batteries help makes the U2 wireless system environmentally friendly that can last up to 5 hours per charge.

The chassis is made out of a durable ABS plastic that can withstand the rigors of touring and the harshest of climates. This wireless is a perfect fit for any pedalboard thanks to its simple and compact design. Go wireless with the Xvive U2 system.

Damn, I'm buying one too!

Damn, I'm buying one too!
    Your needs may be more critical than mine. I bet your ears are better, too. Enjoy!

TFF Stage Crew

Heck, I could use one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Heck, I could use one of those
    Not long ago I posted about buying a Line6 AMPLIfi 30 (the small one in the photo) for use as a living room tabletop practice amp. Combined with the XVive wireless system, I can practice in the comfort of my living room without having to worry about wires splaying all over the place. Plug one end into the amp, the other into my guitar, and I can sit, walk, move around and play in comfort, and never worry about tripping over a cord or making a mess in my living room!

I saw that and considered it. It'd make it easier to get a cold beverage during rehearsal!

I've wondered about using a wireless before, I'd have to play it and hear it to see if I can live with the latency. It would be nice to have one less cable getting caught in the wheels of my chair and tangled with the headphone and microphone cables. Or I could put an amp in the bathroom and sit in the music room at the computer. Or put the amp in a stairwell. etc.

wonder if it works for mics too, with an XLR to 1/4 adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I've wondered about using a wireless before, I'd have to play it and hear it to see if I can live with the latency. It would be nice to have one less cable getting caught in the wheels of my chair and tangled with the headphone and microphone cables. Or I could put an amp in the bathroom and sit in the music room at the computer. Or put the amp in a stairwell. etc.

wonder if it works for mics too, with an XLR to 1/4 adapter?

The software the company I work for produces used to do a "cache switch" that lasted approximately 7 milliseconds. According to this article, it takes 13 milliseconds for the brain to identify an image. I admit I'm probably less sensitive to this than others, and I don't play in a live venue with others, but my sense is that 6 milliseconds is frightfully quick.

I check the stupid deal every day and haven't seen anything I was interested in in a long time. It figures I'd be traveling and miss this one...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I check the stupid deal every day and haven't seen anything I was interested in in a long time. It figures I'd be traveling and miss this one...

Doing so can cause severe damage to one's wallet. Why, I just bought a Fender Deluxe Hanging Guitar Stand for $19.99 ($20 off list price). I don't even know WHY, as I have plenty of guitar stands already!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Bingo! However I have found they offer 20% enough that I can usually hit those I miss. The good price was gone on these before I could get it. But that means I'll offer the price offline to somebody else and I can usually get it.

TFF Stage Crew

Late posting to this thread, but that’s because when it was posted, I read a few more reviews online, then snapped some up. They arrived two days ago, and I got to try them last night in the home-studio. LOVE them. I really did that they’re so small and rechargeable, so I didn’t have to make my pedalboard bigger to accommodate a big receiver unit.

I’ll reserve full judgement until I can gig with them, because hopefully our wireless IEMs don’t interfere with the four channel options. I’m not a wander-the-stage guy, but I love not having a cable underfoot at live gigs.

Thanks for heads-up!

I had a chance to get a Line 6 Relay G10 Digital Wireless Guitar System from Guitar Center using loyalty points. It was a a piece of crap. I had to send three back before I got one that worked. The other thing that sucked was that to use the points they deduct the amount from the sale price (OK) but if you return it you only get back the amount you actually paid - so I would have gotten screwed out of $99 if I tried to return it. First lesson - don't ever buy one of these units again - second - never bother with Guitar Center loyalty points again. Now that I have one that works - I really enjoy it.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I am seeing some pretty bad reviews on them. Please keep us posted on how you feel about them. Dropouts seem to be a problem. But I do have to say that figuring out if they are worth a crap by using reviews on the web is tough as pissed off people have a much bigger tendency to post.

TFF Stage Crew

I saw a lot of both--good and bad reviews. Most of the dropout complaints seemed to be talking about WiFi router interference in their homes, but yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic. Once I know it won't battle with our IEMs, I'll feel better. I wandered all around my house while testing mine and no problems, and we have several WiFi router/repeaters around our place. Fingers crossed.

I've used wireless for a long time.
    The only issue I have is if I get too far away form the amp on big stage the sound delay messes me up a bit, but that's the air and not the wireless. It RARELY happens anyway. Usually by that point everything is mic'ed and and you're pumping out huge from the mains. Which is well, fun!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

Forgot to mention it, but I’ve now gigged the wireless unit(s) shown in the original post above, and they have been flawless. Not a single dropout or glitch all night. We only use one wireless mic, but several wireless IEMs, and apparently they’re all on different frequencies. All good. Thanks again for the tip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Forgot to mention it, but I’ve now gigged the wireless unit(s) shown in the original post above, and they have been flawless. Not a single dropout or glitch all night. We only use one wireless mic, but several wireless IEMs, and apparently they’re all on different frequencies. All good. Thanks again for the tip!!!
    how was the latency?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    how was the latency?
    Completely undetectable; same as a cable to my ears. The farthest away I tend to wander is over to the drummer, so I'm not pushing the limits of the signal transmission either. I just love having no cable at my feet on live gigs.

cool. I might get a set. Still want to record in the stairwell and in the shower stall, and be able to run the DAW. Might be cool to see if it can reach outside to see if I can hear it at my usual playing volume.

Oof! I notice in todays STOD the Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator pedal is $100 off - a 50% reduction.

Someone, somewhere recently opined this was the pedal to end all pedals. Anyone care to confirm or refute?

wrong thread, please ignore this post... My bad

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Completely undetectable; same as a cable to my ears. The farthest away I tend to wander is over to the drummer, so I'm not pushing the limits of the signal transmission either. I just love having no cable at my feet on live gigs.
    OK. I'm goin' in...