Thread: No! Snow! No snow!!!

No! Snow! No snow!!!

Anyone here who has read any of my posts knows I'm a Robin Trower fan. Have been for over 40 years. He's the only guitarist in my pantheon of "guitar heroes" that I've never seen. I've seen Page, Townshend, Clapton, SRV, Beck, California (nee Wolfe), Segovia, di Meola, (Alvin) Lee, Zappa, Santana, Hendrix, Fogerty, (Steve) Miller, and more.

I have a ticket to see and hear Trower tomorrow night at The Birchmere, a small venue in Alexandria, Virginia. It has a bar and serves food. Seats maybe 500. The last time I was there I was a guest of the Lofgren family, to see Nils play. I helped load up his gear afterwards. But I digress...

The weather forecast is calling for 5-8 inches of snow. WHAT??! Today is the first day of Spring and we haven't had but a dusting of snow all winter. Are you freaking kidding me??! In this neck of the woods, just the mere mention of the white stuff is cause enough to close the government, close schools, and panic the populace into rushing to the store to by bread, milk and toilet paper.

I am watching hour by hour to see how the weather develops. I am NOT GOING TO MISS THIS SHOW. Only if Trower cancels/reschedules this event (he won't - it's a tour stop) will I not be at the Birchmere tomorrow, "For Earth Below" songbook in hand (yes, I'm going to try to get him to autograph it). But %@#!%& it, of all the days for it to snow...

Re: No! Snow! No snow!!!

Good luck! I've heard of The Birchmere. Didn't Riders in the Sky record their live album there in the '80s?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Good luck! I've heard of The Birchmere. Didn't Riders in the Sky record their live album there in the '80s?
    Funny you should ask that. I don't know the answer, but Riders In The Sky will be performing their 40th anniversary concert tour at The Birchmere this Friday!

Edited: According to Wikipedia, Riders In The Sky recorded their "Live" album at The Birchmere on March 5-6, 1983. Good call, Don!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Edited: According to Wikipedia, Riders In The Sky recorded their "Live" album at The Birchmere on March 5-6, 1983. Good call, Don!
    They mention it in the recording. I loved that album but haven't heard it in years!

as of 20 minutes or so ago they downgraded the snow from 5-8 to 1-3, maybe you'll get lucky

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    as of 20 minutes or so ago they downgraded the snow from 5-8 to 1-3, maybe you'll get lucky
    Not in my area. To the surprise of absolutely no one, the governments (federal and local) are closed, the schools are closed, and the plows are out trying to keep the streets clean (I've seen the plow twice in my third-level neighborhood already). The snow is coming down sideways in a near white-out.

Of course, it's still early, so hope abounds...

Problem solved. Sort of. And not in the way I'd prefer.

Wed. Mar. 21: ROBIN TROWER -7:30pm- $55.00 SOLD OUT! Tonight’s show has been POSTPONED due to Artist Illness. We are actively seeking to reschedule, so please hold on to your tickets for a bit, while Robin gets better & we figure out the new date.

aw man that's a pisser

how much snow did you end up getting? It still hasn't started here yet, we're in the middle of a bald spot in the radar

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    aw man that's a pisser

how much snow did you end up getting? It still hasn't started here yet, we're in the middle of a bald spot in the radar
    Sorry to hear about the show being postponed. I hope he's doing better soon.

We got a dusting of snow here in southeastern Massachusetts and it all started after 6am this morning. My car was clear when I woke up at 6am and I had to brush it off to go to work at 7:15.
    Luckily, this storm was a bust. Oddly, I kinda root for the storm!

It gets worse. We got about 3"-4" of snow, which pretty much ended around 4pm, so travel to the Birchmere shouldn't have been an issue.

But after getting the first notice about rescheduling

Your event is still happening, but due to illness it will be at a future date yet to be announced.

Robin Trower
    Birchmere Music Hall
    Wednesday, March 21st at 7:30PM

NEW DATE: To Be Announced

I received a follow up email

Unfortunately, your upcoming event was cancelled.

The good news is we already refunded your money including fees(except UPS if applicable). It should post to your account within 7–10 business days.
    Cancelled:
    Robin Trower
    Birchmere Music Hall
    Wednesday, March 21st @ 7:30PM
    Robin's illness has caused him to cancel the next stop on his tour, New York City. That's gotta hurt!

he's supposed to be in Boston April 2nd. and no, I don't have tickets. If I had a companion to go with I'd comp with the gas and parking, as long as I have a sitter for my mom.