Thread: NAD: 1998 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50

NAD: 1998 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50

So this is my first foray into the Marshall world. Normally I'm a Fender guy. My first Marshall.

At this store (Dave's Guitar Shop) they had both a DSL 100 and DSL 50. I played both and found the 50 to be plenty loud but also had a slightly more likeable tone to my ears.

I REALLY love the green channel with crunch engaged. I find it to be a perfect classic rock tone. I'm a classic rock guy, that's the style I play in (Young, Perry, Page, Slash, etc). I plugged in my old 1964 Gibson SG Special with P-90s and got a great tone. I also plugged in my R0 and it sounded great also. I definitely am very happy with the amp thus far. The 2nd gain channel is a bit much, lead 1 is usable but lead 2 is a bit too metal for this 70s rock guy. I can always gas up the green channel with a boost and I think I will hang with that for now.

I've had a Marshall cab for years laying around. A JCM900 straight cab with G12T-75s. But no head until now. I find I really like the sound of this amp but I'm thinking of a speaker swap.

Re: NAD: 1998 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50

Looks nice. My primary amps are modelers (Fender Champion 40, Mustang II), and they both have Marshall settings. A bit too much drive for me, but I prefer more clean than driven. Enjoy yours!

That looks like fun! I just made my first foray into a full size Marshall style circuit as well (though mine's an Avatar). I'm loving it!

I've always been intrigued by the DSL50! Maybe one day! I'd probably be in the same boat as you- loving the green channel crunch. I'd probably end up wishing the amp just had the two mode on the green channel and wishing that they were footswitchable (I've had this problem with a couple of Mesa amps.

Gotta have at least one Marshall in the stable.

Cheers!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I've had a '67 JTM plexi 50 watter and a DSL JCM 2000 50 watter and if I had to do it again, I'd go with the DSL. Heresy I know but I can abuse the shit out of a DSL and not feel bad if or when it blows up. When a '67 blows up, there is a disturbance in the Force that is quite disheartening

Is that new or used? There's a DSL out now but I don't know what they're like. The DSL 40C is nothing like the DSL 401 of yore. And yes, the green channel is pretty sweet. I've been saying for years now that Marshall should make a single channel Green channel only 50 watter. That would be the ultimate amp for me. If I can find somebody who can build me one, I'd do it in a heart beat

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I've had a '67 JTM plexi 50 watter and a DSL JCM 2000 50 watter and if I had to do it again, I'd go with the DSL. Heresy I know but I can abuse the shit out of a DSL and not feel bad if or when it blows up. When a '67 blows up, there is a disturbance in the Force that is quite disheartening

Is that new or used? There's a DSL out now but I don't know what they're like. The DSL 40C is nothing like the DSL 401 of yore. And yes, the green channel is pretty sweet. I've been saying for years now that Marshall should make a single channel Green channel only 50 watter. That would be the ultimate amp for me. If I can find somebody who can build me one, I'd do it in a heart beat
    The '67 would be a lot easier to repair (though hard to get correct original parts for)!

That DSL50 is an older amp. They don't make a DSL50 now. Besides, it says JCM2000 on it. I don't believe that the newer ones do.

I've had 2 DSL401s, a DSL201 and have repaired others. The DSL40C is a very different amp. Better in some ways- more Marshall like sound, better reliability (from what I've seen- I've only repaired one). I'd miss the independent tone controls, though.

I think I'd like a green channel only 50 watter too! There's two sales!

Thanks everyone! Count me in also for a 50w green channel amp. I absolutely love it and it does everything I want out of a Marshall head.

@fenderguitar1988

Tell us more about the the Tele!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

great! Congratulations! Enjoy!