Thread: Slapping and Popping

Slapping and Popping

I've not spent days and days on it, but I've spent hours trying to slap and pop, and I just can't seem to get it. Have any of you mastered it? Tricks?

I'm not a big fan of it. I mean, it can sound good if it's done tastefully, but it can be annoying. I remember an Elton John concert in the early 80s. Dee Murray, one of my fave bassists, decided to slap and pop on nearly every song, and it was just awful, so out of place on most of the songs.

Still it's one of those things I feel that I ought to be able to do.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Slapping and Popping

not a fan of overuse of it either and more than 8 bars is over doing it IMHO

when I saw SRV open (OPEN?!? are you shitting me?) for Joe Cocker, I stuck around for a while after Steve was done. The bass player for Joe was super slap and pop happy, to the point of being totally annoying. I think I left after about 3 songs. I was so disappointed that I got there late and missed half of SRV's set. I fully expected Steve to be the headliner

I don't really care for most of it. I did teach myself a bit when I had a Stingray and was into the Chili Peppers pretty heavily. But that was a long time ago. I remember getting a hell of a blood blister on my left middle finder from the popping!

Forum Member

Like this? I like this guys subtlety. More pop = HARDER PULL UP. Let the string vibrate UP and DOWN (in relation to the FB, not you) and bounce off the FB. Good slap and pop technique at about 56 seconds. Keep it in the wrist. Heel down and rotate!

Forum Member

Slap AND pop on this one is awesome and easier to see because he is doing it most of the time. If you are good you can make it sound like a piano...

Last edited by renderit; 03-24-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Slap AND pop on this one is awesome and easier to see because he is doing it most of the time. If you are good you can make it sound like a piano...

THAT is very nice!! Very cool!!
    Doesn't fit in with what I am doing, but I could watch and listen all day to someone who really knows what they are doing
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Great bassist! Gadzooks! I see what he's doing. I guess I'll just have to plug on and see if I can replicate it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I now have some serious GAS for that bass. That's a beaut!

Forum Member

Aside from being a fabulous sounding beast the weight is wonderful for a bass. The 'Popping' one above went with the f-holes uncut. I considered that on mine figuring almost all the semi hollow basses I ever played had "dead spots". The 2 I have played with the f-holes had NO dead spots at all. Very lively for a bass as well.

how's the balance? Any neck dive?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Great bassist! Gadzooks! I see what he's doing. I guess I'll just have to plug on and see if I can replicate it.
    I know. Every time I hear that clip I go back and try to learn some more...

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    how's the balance? Any neck dive?
    Nope. No neck dive. It sits pretty neutral which makes it feel even lighter because the strap does not pull tighter on either side. The weight bears down at the apex of the shoulder and not the front or back. Bear in mind that it is a semi-hollow. The back and sides are one piece African Mahogany and the center block is substantial. The neck is Honduran mahogany (reclaimed) and the fingerboard is Brazilian (reclaimed).