Thread: Sunday Thread March 18

Sunday Thread March 18

Apart from all the normal Sunday house and class prep duties, I'm going to try to enjoy this day. Usually I get a bad case of the Sunday blues. I'm trying to change that by scheduling something fun or doing something other than reading or just jamming alone.

So today, my daughter is coming home, and that's already something to take me out of my usual Sunday routine. We might take a ride out through the countryside, play a game or cards, or watch a movie together. Then I'm going to take her out to dinner.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday Thread March 18

Gonna chill after a long night and then this afternoon I'll probably drive over to the studio and work on vocals for "The Way" by Fastball.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

It's a clear blue sky and temps around 50° F today so it should be a great day to get out for a bit of a walk in this pre-spring day following our usual breakfast with our friends.

We spent the afternoon and early evening watching the five divisions of Wisconsin High School basketball play their state championship games yesterday. I love watching those games as the kids are really out there playing with heart; not for a pro scout like the college level games and not for cash like the pros. A couple of the games came down to last second buzzer beaters so it made for a fun day of just vegging out.

very chilly 20 degrees out there today, cold wind a blowing, no clouds and quite bright with all the snow out there. We've gotten almost 3 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks and not a 50 degree day in the ten day forecast. Winter is making us have to pry its cold dead fingers off our throats.

I've been on a mic testing binge this week. Almost gone through all of them. Getting a feel for which mic might be more suitable for particular sounds. They're more different than I used to think and I think the ability to record on the computer with greater ease has made it far easier to compare them than recording to tape. especially in the area of playback.

One thing I really like about recording with mics is putting down tracks hasn't run into any processing limits like I've found with using the amp patches in GB. Since I'm clearly not ever going to release any of these recordings I'm not giving a flying hoot about the background noises and that has been very liberating.

nothing much on the docket today, just staying warm and waiting for spring. Probably going to shoot down to GC in a few to pick up a mic cable that they left out of an order a couple weeks ago. It may be quiet enough to try a few things while I'm there.

It's cold here too, but I have this to keep me warm!

My grandson's 12th birthday party is this afternoon. Other than that I need to pack. I have a 6 AM flight tomorrow to Montgomery AL to do some training for the state Association there. That will be all week - out Monday and home Friday. It looks like I'll dodge Nor'Easter #3 this week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Lunch today at a hoity-toity country club. Then, I think I'll come back and play some new-found backing tracks on YouTube through my Apple TV and see if I can keep up.

Spent the morning drinking strong black coffee and playing some tunes on my acoustic, just like yesterday when I had my trip and rehearsal cancelled due to my drummer being ill...

I am enjoying this little devil a LOT. I even named it "the outlaw"

It's 2 pm here right now and I am heading to my gf's grandma's house for some more coffee (did I tell y'all I like coffee?) and some family chat. I really like her family, especially her uncle who happens to play and manage a Beatles cover band and own a couple of Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars...

Happy Sunday everyone.

Really chill and chilly weekend up here. Still lacking energy in recovering from pneumonia. Stamina is lacking! Even stayed home St Paddy's Day!

Got a call from one of my oldest buddies and bandmates this week - he's looking to add steel guitar to his band's instrumentation and called me up. So I've been spending time polishing up my steel skills. he sent me the repertoire and it looks like lap steel for some stuff (Stones-y/bluesy stuff) and pedal steel for the more countryish stuff (Delbert McClinton and Little Feat). Been groovin' on LF's Willin' with Sneaky Pete on steel. Wow.

I spent the weekend running the chainsaw. I can’t say it was fun but I made major progress towards our future happiness here.

Still so so many things I need to get to before the heat of summer catches up to me.

I need to find some time to play before I forget how.

Be well my friends.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?