Thread: Favorite Basses and Why?

Favorite Basses and Why?

This topic might be horribly lame, but I'm just finding myself more and more interested in bass again and enjoy ANY conversation about basses.

I love my Jazz bass most at the moment because it's so versatile, but I'm GASsing for a Precision. The Jazz does so many things so well, but it doesn't have the same kind of punch that the Precision has. Likewise the Precision doesn't have the same snarl and growl that the Jazz has. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to be without the Jazz.

Now, I couldn't imagine being without the Rickenbacker either. It does what it does so well, but it's not as versatile as the Jazz or the Precision. If I had to choose just one of my three basses, I'd keep this one, mostly because of the sentimental value of it--in 78, I worked at McDonald's for 6 months in order to buy it, and I have the greatest memories of playing it live.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Favorite Basses and Why?

I'll Play -

I have several basses and play them all at some point. I have had a couple of Yamahas I REALLY liked - but the best one had a crack in the neck and I got rid of it rather than fix the neck. That one would have been a contender. I have several Jazz, all are different in sound and feel - and response. I have P bass with a J neck - love the feel - and its a squier - with older Lace Sensor Pup. there is a Jaguar in the stable, and it gets a LOT of love. I still have my first SX - and that is a great bass - with transplanted electronics and bridge. American P bass dlx - love and hate right there. Its beautiful - feels good and after a LOT of work recently began to play and sound ok by me.

The race narrows down to a parts Jazz-in-Stein with a Reggie Hamilton Neck and the Sunburst (1 of 2 - the other is Fiesta Red) Roadworn Jazz Basses. I think the Roadworn is THE favorite.

Now, I say all that to say this......
    I am supposed to take Delivery this week of a Suhr Antique J bass in Nitro sunburst.
    Lets see what Happens >:^{I)>
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Can't wait to see that Suhr!

Have you got a pic of your bass collection? It'd be cool to see them all together.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Can't wait to see that Suhr!

Have you got a pic of your bass collection? It'd be cool to see them all together.
    Unfortunately, Homeland security rules don't allow them to all be displayed in one location.

I'm sure you understand
    Kenny Belmont

I Suhr bet that new bass is going to be awesome! Seriously though, they make great gear.

As for me; I have a lot of basses, A LOT! I used to have more but got to the point where I felt like the only reason I had so many was because I liked switching basses during shows. It was partially because each felt a little different, and the other was because they each sound a little different. But at the end of the day I always sound like me.

So I sold some off and now have my main stable: a Franken P with a Gibson Recording Bass pup, Squier J with DiMarzio’s and an upgraded bridge, and my Ric. I mainly play the P or J, the Ric is for “special” occasions where I need the clang and growl that ONLY a Ric can do. I still have a couple others, but the P is my #1, it does pretty much everything I want while feeling and playing great.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

The last one I played professionally. A Gibson blonde 'something' (just looked it up. A 'Grabber') with a pickup you could slide towards the neck or away from it. Really. Me and that thing just got along really well. 'Til I find it again I have an active pickup Elrick and a passive pickup B&G. The B&G is very light which I like. The Elrick has more sounds than you can shake a stick at.

Those are gorgeous - I don't deserve to touch anything like that!
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    As for me; I have a lot of basses, A LOT!

That should have been a line in The Blues Brothers movie--Duck Dunn could have had a catch phrase!

Glad to see you around, Chucko.

Love those basses, renderit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Those are gorgeous - I don't deserve to touch anything like that!
    Bull! You deserve to play the snot outta anything you want! And they DO get played. A lot. I never did figure out why I never ended up with a Fender Bass for long though. I played a bunch but never kept one.

I spent part of yesterday watching Daryl Jones playing his Jazz for the Stones. I know there are better basses out there, but I really dig Fenders.

man that B&G is sweet. I like their guitars a lot and would love a Little Sister

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I spent part of yesterday watching Daryl Jones playing his Jazz for the Stones. I know there are better basses out there, but I really dig Fenders.
    I always loved hearing other people play them and I always want one. I just don't sound good or play well on them for some reason. I'm sure it's a mental thing. I feel kinda 'lost' on one. Probably because I suck.

Ok - lets see if this becomes a favorite........

https://images.talkbass.com/attachme...5-jpg.2958296/

Ok - looks like the pics won't post
    https://www.talkbass.com/threads/suh...1330439/page-2
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 03-21-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    Kenny Belmont

Nice, Kenny!

I'm down to two basses now. A MIJ Fender P/J (modded) and a new MIC Fender Starcaster. I've had some pretty decent stuff in the past but I'm happy with my current stable. Now that I'm not gigging, I could make do with just the PJ recording and jamming.

PJ on the left in the photo below. It's my favorite since I love the white-tort combo, the P+J combo, active/passive switch, stacked tone controls, awesome neck and fairly light weight. I don't own the SUB Ray5 anymore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I'm down to two basses now. A MIJ Fender P/J (modded) and a new MIC Fender Starcaster. I've had some pretty decent stuff in the past but I'm happy with my current stable. Now that I'm not gigging, I could make do with just the PJ recording and jamming.

PJ on the left in the photo below. It's my favorite since I love the white-tort combo, the P+J combo, active/passive switch, stacked tone controls, awesome neck and fairly light weight. I don't own the SUB Ray5 anymore.

I always wanted a SUB. The only thing that kept me away is you also needs figure in a small donkey to hold the damn things up! P.S. Love the Jazz above in FJ's post.

Not sure if you can hear the bass well on this or not - but this COULD be my NEW #1 or #1B anyway
    Kenny Belmont

I could hear it though not well. You guys are a tight band.