Thread: Hofner, anyone?

Hofner, anyone?

Do any of you regulars are some of our lurkers own a Hofner bass? I love mine. Bought it because of McCartney and didn't expect it to be anything but a toy, but it's a hell of a bass.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Hofner, anyone?

I haven't seen a real Hofner in years. There's the knock-off they sell at GC, can't remember the name of the top of my head, Aria maybe?

Apparently the electronics aren't the big story with those but the placement of the pickups is. I did some reading about them years ago. Can't remember much of anything about it. Apparently the ones made back in the day (think Beatles) were in a certain location and the later ones were elsewhere. To make things more complicated, the distance between the pickups varied as well. Then there's the whole hollow vs semi-hollow and they start to make Fender look orderly and obvious in their Stratocaster lineage over the years.

Re: Hofner, anyone?

I don’t know much about pup placement on them. I get some good Beatly tones, but it does a lot more than that too. I’m going to use it on the next song I plan to record. I’ve just got to really capture its strengths.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison