Thread: Clocks forward Sunday - I'm so confused!!!!

Clocks forward Sunday - I'm so confused!!!!

The stove and microwave will be trouble - and forget the clocks in the car... Happy Sunday everyone. Helping my daughter with her taxes and then brunch with her. Then I want to rewire my mixer in the music room.... I would put the snowblower way, but it looks like another N'oreaster is headed our way!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Re: Clocks forward Sunday - I'm so confused!!!!

I sure wish daylight savings time would be abolished forever. Don't know why we need it. Don't know why it is forced on us. I don't think it's nescessary. People can adjust to the seasons as it was intended. Just my opinion! It's like getting adjusted to the adjustment? Good luck with the taxes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    I sure wish daylight savings time would be abolished forever. Don't know why we need it. Don't know why it is forced on us. I don't think it's nescessary. People can adjust to the seasons as it was intended. Just my opinion! It's like getting adjusted to the adjustment? Good luck with the taxes!
    I think it originally had something to do with war production.

It looks like another sunny but low 30° day here so no snow shoveling/blowing but not quite temps yet to sit on the patio and have that Bloody Mary so we're off to our usual gathering of friends for those libations with breakfast and coffee.

I'd be happy if they just leave it on DST forever and not flip the clocks back in November. I hate 3:30 sunsets in winter. This is my favorite time of year.

On a total wild hair last night, I took a Realistic aka Radio Shack HiBall dynamic mic that I've had forever and put it through the Behringer UMC404HD into Garageband. Yes, I had to max out the gain and it was hissy as get out, plus there was tons of fan noise from the humidifier and tower fan in the next room and the heating system's preternaturally loud pinging and banging. Instead of a mic input I used a guitar amp sim, first a 60s bass combo, then a british break up sim that I think is supposed to be an AC-30.

The results surprised me I got my first keeper takes this month, not counting the one I had on the 1st that my computer somehow ate and won't regurgitate upon demand. There's 16 MB in there somewhere but it will not open Anyhow, I was able to put down a rhythm track and two overdubs, and panned the latter left and right, added a little EQ, compression, reverb and finishing compression and what the hey.

I forgot to mention that I used my nephew's Jasmine acoustic which he loaned to me last year. The guitar that had a terrible buzz coming from the bridge. Well, I had picked it up last week with the intent of putting it back in the gig bag to free up the guitar stand when I decided to try playing it again. And lo, the buzz was gone. I think after 3 solid months of humidification in spite of the heating system being on nearly 24/7, it finally swelled up whatever was loose.

Not much going on. My sister has been taking my mom to church on saturday afternoons lately so I'm not getting the sunday morning reprieves I used to have. Her dementia has taken a couple more steps downwards this past few weeks. I'm calling her neurologist tomorrow at his new office at a different hospital. We were supposed to have a dentist appointment on tuesday and we're looking like we're in for a storm. This will be the second time this winter that a storm has rescheduled a dentist appointment for her.

Got a lot of sleep last night but am still exhausted. I'm hoping the coffee will bring me around.

It's not cold here today, just gray, showers coming.

I've got to get ready to go back to work--prep classes, clean house, etc.

My physical therapist is urging me to stretch my arm out as much as possible. As long as I'm careful, I can even play a bit of guitar, very little but some. So I may fiddle about with it today if I get time. As much pain as I'm going through, I'm still really lucky that it was scar tissue and not a tear. After a week of physical therapy, I'm able to use my arm a lot. Unfortunately, that means I have no excuse and must vacuum...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Yay! The clock in my Miata is right again! It's a summer car so I don't bother setting it back in the fall.

I love DST. Having it light in the evening works well for me. I can't imagine not having it and never having sunset later than 7:30pm in the summer.

We put new rear brake pads and rotors on my son's Dodge Ram dually yesterday. It's not a super hard job (though the axles do have to come out to get the rear rotors off), but everything is so big, heavy and tight! Thank goodness for impact wrenches!
    After we were done, he installed a steering box stabilized. Now it steers like a GM or Ford truck!

I plan to rest today. They're predicting a bunch more snow so we better make sure the yard is ready.

Got the backline moved into the new studio yesterday. Today we'll focus on maybe setting up some recording equipment. Looking for some tapestries to hang. Got lights sorted out so we're not in the dark. Maybe if I wash my hair I'll shoot some video.

We're going to fire up the band this evening. So far we dig the acoustics. Time (and recording) will tell.

Love DST. Up here in New York any sunlight after 6PM is welcome. You can go do things outside before the bugs get so bad you have to in.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Both my microwave and conventional ovens have manually-settable clocks. And my second car, a smart Electric Drive. Everything else, from my home thermostat to my security camera system set to DST automatically. So I woke up this morning feeling like it was my normal 6:14am wakeup, and found the clock telling me it was time to get ready for church!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Actually, our Gov her in FL is getting ready to sign a bill that would place FL on DST all the time.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Actually, our Gov her in FL is getting ready to sign a bill that would place FL on DST all the time.
    I saw that and wrote my representatives to do the same. I'd totally be in favor of that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I could go for that! Actually, we've talked about switching to Atlantic time. That'd only work if the rest of New England joined us.

if atlantic time gets me a later sunset in winter I'm all for it

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    if atlantic time gets me a later sunset in winter I'm all for it

Me too!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain