Thread: Moving Day

Moving Day

We signed the lease on our new rehearsal studio.

Today we load up we trucks and start moving in. As soon as we get the new place in some sort of order I'll see if I can post some video. It's in an abandoned industrial site and we can make all the noise we want 24-7. Should be recording our new CD pretty soon.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Moving Day

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    We signed the lease on our new rehearsal studio.

Today we load up we trucks and start moving in. As soon as we get the new place in some sort of order I'll see if I can post some video. It's in an abandoned industrial site and we can make all the noise we want 24-7. Should be recording our new CD pretty soon.

Chuck
    The description gives me the idea of the place. Looks like my kind of rehearsal site.

Hey, if you don't mind, post pics of it, before and after you set the gear up.

I'd really like to see that!

Chuck, I'm glad you've found rehearsal space. I thought about you a lot after you said you were thinking of giving up live playing. I said the same thing 3 years ago, and lately, I've been itching to join a band. In spite of all the stupid shit one has to go through, playing live gets into the blood. I've always been the lead singer and often times the lead guitarist. This time, I just want to stay in the background, play bass, and perhaps sing backing vocs. But the thing is, I just want to play in band again.

Good luck with your new place. I hope it gives you a refreshed impetus to do live gigs. We've got to keep guitar music alive in our small ways. It's a duty to the goddess called music.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Chuck, I don't mean to be pushy, but if you don't mind, share some pics of the place! I am dying to see it.

I am even searching for such a place for our band too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Chuck, I don't mean to be pushy, but if you don't mind, share some pics of the place! I am dying to see it.

I am even searching for such a place for our band too.
    Ya man! Pics or it didn't happen!

A couple of years ago I was walking by this old building downtown and thought it might be interesting, so I entered to check it out. I wasn't wrong... The penthouse was a very wide and well-spaced loft that was almost entirely empty, just a couple of piles of painting and acting stuff here and there.

It reminded me a lot of the place where Lionel Dobie (Nick Nolte's character) lives and paints, in Martin Scorsese's short called "life lessons" in "New York Stories".

I knew I had a picture somewhere, and just found it in my instagram account:

I wanted to rent it and give a couple of parties (with our band playing of course) but it wasn't for rent.

Ours is not nearly so fancy. It's a 20' x20' room with grey walls and stained carpets over a plank floor.

But on the plus side - a friend is building a a huge post and beam building at his winery near me here in the NYS Finger Lakes Wine region. It's going to house his classic car collection and have a HUGE state-of-the-art recording studio. He want's to do something similar to "Live at Darryl's House," only have famous musicians come in and talk about their music, their cars and wine - and he asked me to be in the house band. Drummer, keys and bass are all good friends of mine too. We've often talked of getting together so this will be a fun project.

More to come. My hair is now almost shoulder length, getting back into "show biz" mode, LOL! They may have me color it so it doesn't "flare" under lights.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

That sounds great, Chuck--the house band, that is. Putting color in the hair? Nahhhhhh. Hair dye never matches the skin tone. Gray is dignified; coloring yer hairz, not so much.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ours is not nearly so fancy. It's a 20' x20' room with grey walls and stained carpets over a plank floor.

Sounds cool enough

But on the plus side - a friend is building a a huge post and beam building at his winery near me here in the NYS Finger Lakes Wine region. It's going to house his classic car collection and have a HUGE state-of-the-art recording studio. He want's to do something similar to "Live at Darryl's House," only have famous musicians come in and talk about their music, their cars and wine - and he asked me to be in the house band. Drummer, keys and bass are all good friends of mine too. We've often talked of getting together so this will be a fun project.

Chuck
    Rock on!

https://youtu.be/srhqol-H0C0

Some video of the early part of the move in. Can hardly move in there now. It was dark so I had my old man "Get off of my lawn" glasses on.

that's cool. did I see white boards and chalk boards in there? That could be very useful

https://youtu.be/srhqol-H0C0

Some video of the early part of the move in. Can hardly move in there now. It was dark so I had my old man "Get off of my lawn" glasses on.
    Chuck, thanks so much for recording a video for us!

Quite a nice place!

oh and I really liked the chalk board idea!!

Forum Member

We that live in "flyover country", never think about rehearsal space. During our R&R days, the guitar player lived in town, but we rehearsed in a 30 x 30 building on my property. We had neighbors maybe 150 yards away, but no complaints.
    Another plus was for the kids. My kids brought their friends over, and they had a full PA and monitor system to play through. Pretty much fun for teenagers! We did lose a speaker once in the keys rig, but the kid playing guitar learned something from the experience. (I can't say that I cared for the "metal" material most seemed to like, but I was glad they were at least playing!)

Now, don’t hold my feet to the flames over this, but I really don’t understand having to lease a space to rehearse a band.

For the last (almost) sixty years I have played in ten piece bands, eight piece bands, five piece bands, quartets, trios, duos, but never a solo act (bass player) and have never had to purchase, lease or rent a rehearsal space. If need be we’d park in my living room (usually the man-cave, but I do have a heated/air-conditioned garage) and work out what we wanted to do. I never felt the need to have the production equipment set up and used to learn what we were doing in our show. If you can make it sound great with virtually no support equipment it is going to kick when you put the show on stage.

I know I must be missing something like maybe if you live in a major city rehearsal space is hard to find so please help me out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Now, don’t hold my feet to the flames over this, but I really don’t understand having to lease a space to rehearse a band.

For the last (almost) sixty years I have played in ten piece bands, eight piece bands, five piece bands, quartets, trios, duos, but never a solo act (bass player) and have never had to purchase, lease or rent a rehearsal space. If need be we’d park in my living room (usually the man-cave, but I do have a heated/air-conditioned garage) and work out what we wanted to do. I never felt the need to have the production equipment set up and used to learn what we were doing in our show. If you can make it sound great with virtually no support equipment it is going to kick when you put the show on stage.

I know I must be missing something like maybe if you live in a major city rehearsal space is hard to find so please help me out here.

Indeed, it is great when you have enough room/comfort to rehearse your band at home.

I have played, rehearsed and jammed in garages and yards many a time, but thing is: it gets hard To do these days when people live in apartments and condos and noise isn’t tolerated.

Down here playing at home with amps on is almost as hard and “annoying” as lighting a cigarette in a public space. People WILL complain and report.

It is nice when you have a room with proper sound-insulation (is that how you call it in English?), our former bassist has one.

otherwise, studios are practical and makes the band work more professionally (you’re buying the time).