Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Still Own Your Fave Strat Ever?

Do You Still Own Your Fave Strat Ever?

I bought and sold 4 other Strats before I got this one 10 years ago now. It's my fave Strat of all I've owned, so yes, I still own my fave Strat. I swapped pickups in it a couple of times before I found what I was looking for. Fender 57/62s have made it sing for me. I love the feel of the neck and fingerboard. BTW, that sticker comes from Shakespeare & Company bookstore in Paris, from one of my journeys there. So if I were to give the guitar a name, pretentiously I'd call it "Shakespeare"

Not being able to play just at the moment makes this guitar even more attractive to me, and I can hardly wait to get my paws back on it, and that's motivating me to keep up the torture chamber called physical therapy.

Last edited by ch willie; 03-10-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Do You Still Own Your Fave Strat Ever?

I believe I do! I dream of an incredible Strat. It's my favorite guitar design for many reasons. This 2005 Hwy 1 that I bought new has evolved to the point that it's no longer even a Fender guitar!

the one I parted out in Dec of 2016 was probably my best yet. The one I built last month is growing on me. I don't think I've had a favorite of all time in Strat yet. I did in a tele and sold it (Nash T-63). I've had quite a few strats over the years and it hasn't been until the turn of the century that I've finally started finding some I liked a lot. Quite frankly building them as gotten me spoiled. If I can bring myself to spend about 4 benjamins on a custom built neck I might finally get all the features I want, dark rosewood (maybe even braz), headstock truss rod access and no I don't believe in the theory that it makes the headstock weaker, split shaft tuners no lockies, bone nut, 21 fret 6105 stainless steel and the part that makes me suck in my breath and wonder if I'll dare to or not - 9.5 to 12" compound radius.

I'm also thinking of making the next build with slip on connectors so pickguard changes can be done in minutes and no soldering. When I want a certain sound for a project, drop in what I need. You can store 2 or 3 pickguards a lot easier than 2 or 3 guitars.

This is an unfair question!

I only recently obtained my favorite Stratocaster. Problem is, I don't know which one it is!

Forum Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W4o3dZ]
    This one is my first strat and old favorite! A 95 Strat Plus in Sonic Blue! with original Lace Sensors

Forum Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FnNKA5]
    I love all the Blues!

Forum Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JyM9TT]

Forum Member

You guys have some really nice ones! I especially like both two tone sunburst Don and willie, and the far left Old Strummer! That is the RT strat ,Wow!
    Last edited by Jeffp; 03-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    You guys have some really nice ones! I especially like both two tone sunburst Don and willie, and the far left Old Strummer! That is the RT strat ,Wow!
    You're right, Jeff. The far left is the Robin Trower autographed Strat. It's probably the best player I have. But all of my Strats are my favorite when I pick one up and start playing. Even the aluminum one!

Here is a phtot of my favorite (only) strat, being played by non other than Offshore Angler! A few years ago I was in a Guitar Center and they had a set of '69 Custom Shop pickups for a ridiculous sale price so I picked them up - not even owning a strat. Later I went guitar shopping with TeleBob (Telenator) and found this guitar. Bob was terrific wiring the pickups into a new pickguard and we realized pretty quickly that somebody had installed the custom shop pickups and returned the old ones (which probably explains the sale price). Fender made good on it, however and sent me a brand new set. It sounds really good!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ha ha, it made me happy to see our Offshore Angler, and I love that Strat!

JeffP, I knew a guy with a Strat Plus, and his guitar sounded great. I like the color on yours.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Ha ha, it made me happy to see our Offshore Angler, and I love that Strat!

JeffP, I knew a guy with a Strat Plus, and his guitar sounded great. I like the color on yours.
    He he, That was my cleaned-up short hair years. You wouldn't recognize me now.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Looks like youre having fun! And thanks Willie! I like the blue.
    Last edited by Jeffp; 03-12-2018 at 05:18 AM.

We've had some great jams thanks to this forum!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I missed several perfectly good opportunities to take some glamour pics of my strat outside. I do need to peel the plastic off the pickguard. The gold Lace sensors are probably here to stay. Down the road I may install some slip on connectors so I can have multiple loaded pickguards. Or I may just build another guitar. I kind of think a tele is my next build, though so it may be a while.

Most certainly I still do own my fave strat of all times... And I doubt I'll ever part with it. I played this guitar in most of my gigs and it is the sweetest one I've ever laid my hands on.

Forum Member

No, but strangely enough it is an excellent reproduction of the original I had. And second best to it.

oooo, noice. what is it? I could get into that real easy

I came real close to wanting a burst finish for my project but the nice ones kept going 100 to 200 more than I wanted to pay. I was 'lucky' to get the LPB for what I paid. and it was still 30 dollars over my max price. I just couldn't stand losing any more auctions.

Forum Member

That's a John Cruz Master Design (not built by him but by a team under his direction - read - cheaper) '63. But I have only had the two. So unfair answer to a fair question. How are they to a MIM? No idea. The actual 63 was alright. But that was a LONG time ago. My sons each had American Fenders and I like either of mine more. But probably because they were pre-beat so they were comfortable like old jeans.

Yes I do. I guess you could say I left the best for last. ‘62 style John Mayer 3 tone sunburst body, vintage white plastic, all USA metal goodies and a ‘69 style big headstock Mighty Might liscensed neck with the prettiest red hued rosewood board and a reverse middle set of pickups with flat pole pieces. I’ve discovered the flat pole pieces give a Strat a more Hendrix Plexi “knock” when using a single 12” 18 watt combo. ( a souped up 1482 Silvertone).
    Last edited by style0; 04-02-2018 at 08:37 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

Sadly, I do not. My favorite Strat ever was a 1961 I bought in 1988 for about $450 out of a pawn shop in Kent, WA. I had a few mods done to it, but nothing visible (9.5 radius, 6105 frets, 5 way switch). I sold it to a friend & he sold it to a friend, & then around 2009 I saw it on a Japanese website for crazy money! The serial number is 71818. If you see it, say hello for me
    Last edited by Cogs; 03-31-2018 at 06:01 PM.

I'd have to say my favorite was my 2005 seafoam green closet classic Custom Shop. Had I know how hard it would be to get another that nice I probably wouldn't have sold it. I should amend that, if I knew how expensive it would be to find another that nice, I would not have sold it.

it's serial number was R 21917. The likelihood of it being unmolested are probably slim but I'd really like to get it again. I strive to get that feel and tone when I build. It was just a wonderful guitar.

I've only owned one Strat. TBH, not even my favourite guitar ever. That would have been the Gibson ES-137 I foolishly sold a few years back.

My favourite Fenders have been my basses - Ps, Js, PJs and now a Starcaster!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

The answer is no. It was stolen back in 1983. Don't remember the year of the Strat.
    Second best one is the one I have currently. Not much actually fender on it. Just the body. Warmoth neck, Callaham hardware, Schaller hardware, Fralin pups.
    Mark

Forum Member

This is my favorite Stratocaster guitar. I bought new, open box Standard Strat, from MF for $117, 6/21/2004, Shoreline gold. Added GFS Premium Hot Alnico Stagger Pickups and Strap locks. Pickups were wired according to the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster diagram 0107100/7102. Fender American pots and switch added. I scalloped the bottom 6 frets on the neck and added a GPS brass trem block. Tortishell pickguard and back cover. I polished the fretts and rounded the fretboard a little to give it a worn in feel when I play it. It weighs in at 7.6 pounds.

She has a TON of mojo, Mike. Cool guitar!

Is it my impression or did you have the neck scalloped too?

I dig the stickers!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    She has a TON of mojo, Mike. Cool guitar!

Is it my impression or did you have the neck scalloped too?

I dig the stickers!
    I scalloped the first 6 frets and makes a lot of difference when you're playing leads in that area. I can do all my own work. I didn't mention it but this one is also shield with heavy copper craft foil, the stuff you make drawings on with a wooden pen or nails. I did it before everyone started selling copper foil tape. Held in place with double sided tape and then soldered sealed. Pickguard has the same stuff on it.

Forum Member

Yes and here she is.

TFF Stage Crew

Nice, & out of the ordinary pickup configuration!
    That body looks like mahogany

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I believe I do! I dream of an incredible Strat. It's my favorite guitar design for many reasons. This 2005 Hwy 1 that I bought new has evolved to the point that it's no longer even a Fender guitar!

USACG is the BEST

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
    Yes and here she is.

VERY cool. What pickups are those?

I've had a bunch of Strats over the years, but the first one is still my fave. I got it new in 1987. It is a MIJ '72ri. I bought it new from Angela Instruments in Maryland for $300 including the hard shell case. It has outlasted 8 Les Pauls, 1 SG, 5-6 other Strats and various "experiments. It is not stock anymore as I have replaced pick guard, pots, and pickups. I also have a 2016 American Standard Shawbucker that is a really fantastic guitar, and a 2003 American Standard, but that 72ri is sacred to me.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    VERY cool. What pickups are those?
    Thanks. EMG HZ loaded guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Stunning

Thank you so much! Here is a pic of my "other" guitar!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Thank you so much! Here is a pic of my "other" guitar!

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'd buy that for a dollar! (hat tip to Robocop...)

Gorgeous guitars in this thread.

Yes I do... an abomination to some but she's my girl and I love her... AmStd with solid rosewood neck, Fender lockers, Fat 50's & SD SSL-5 at the bridge, Gotoh 510T tremolo, and a few other mods. Maybe some of y'all remember the project thread. Haven't posted in a while but hope y'all are all doing well. Cheers.

That's a beauty, HPD. Good to see you on the forum.

Thanks so much, Willie! Still here... just sitting quietly in the corner these days lol.