Thread: So... Two years of work, JM and PRS together...

So... Two years of work, JM and PRS together...

...and they come up with a...

...strat copy.

http://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/bolton/silver_sky

I really like John as a player, and I even admire him in some aspects. And Hey, I am sure he had his own personal reasons to cease the partnership with Fender as a company, which I obviously don't criticize. To each his own, and he is entitled to use the amplification he likes best, right?

But it would be a bit more graceful to acknowledge that he loves the Stratocaster and can't really do without it.

As much as I believe this "Silver Strat" is indeed an outstanding guitar, I doubt that it does ANYTHING a real Fender Strat doesn't do.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: So... Two years of work, JM and PRS together...

I saw that. I scratched my head & kept moving

The headstock just looks wrong to me. I’m sure it’s a good guitar, but it peeves me that companies get by with such obvious takes on Fender’s bodies. And in this case, when PRS is so associated with their own body style that they’d do this, I don’t understand why.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It's a strat with a PRS neck.. Just what we all need another strat style guitar...

Clearly, you've never played a Suhr.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Well, I have. Why?
    Last edited by S. Cane; 03-06-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammar

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    ...PRS is so associated with their own body style that they’d do this, I don’t understand why.
    Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Just sayin'
    question mark in a blue square surrounded by a white border? not quite sure how to pronounce that so I can't say it

TFF Stage Crew

I don't know why the image isn't showing up for you, but the pic is of a Les Paul & a PRS Singlecut side by side

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I don't know why the image isn't showing up for you, but the pic is of a Les Paul & a PRS Singlecut side by side
    I was thinking about the same thing regarding PRS's designs

I don’t understand how Gibson has sued Tokai and Ibanez but not PRS.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

And I know Suhrs are sacred, but how do they get by with it? A slight difference in horn isn’t enough to make you think of anything other than a Fender

TFF Stage Crew

I don’t understand how Gibson has sued Tokai and Ibanez but not PRS.
    They did! Pretty sure they lost that one, though

And I know Suhrs are sacred, but how do they get by with it? A slight difference in horn isn’t enough to make you think of anything other than a Fender

I haven't found out yet what people find so heavenly about Suhrs.

Suhrs are the best Strat's I've ever played. Workmanship and materials are top notch and the playability is unmatched IMHO. Look, a Strat is an iconic guitar but even "Custom Shop" Strat has a certain shall we say - "unsophisticated" assembly line nature to it. A Suhr has taken that and added the nuance and polish of a hand-made instrument. There's a reason why they are played by everyone from Knophler to Paul Pesco. They're not "Texas" anything or built to fill a slot in a collector's inventory or fill some wannabee's dream of sounding like (insert three letter acronym blues guy here). With a Strat, it's always hit or miss. You may get a keeper, you may not. Look how many guys here have changed things on a factory Strat. It seems to be the rule and not the exception. A Suhr will be perfect the day you buy it.

They look and feel great, they sound awesome and any time you go to Rudy's you see what Suhr is for sale.

Look, I think a G&L is better than a Fender too. At some point after George and Leo left Fender the company decided to stop improving an start selling the same guitar over and over again, with "innovations" like changing the number of pickguard screws and lams and calling it "vintage".

G&L kept refining it. I think G&L had the street cred and pedigree to call themselves legit when it comes to the Stratocaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Suhr, is a true custom shop axe, not one that was assembled out "selected" production parts. They're prized by professional players the world over. You may not see a difference and that's cool, but man, they work for me!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Meanwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Suhrs are the best Strat's I've ever played. Workmanship and materials are top notch and the playability is unmatched IMHO. Look, a Strat is an iconic guitar but even "Custom Shop" Strat has a certain shall we say - "unsophisticated" assembly line nature to it. A Suhr has taken that and added the nuance and polish of a hand-made instrument. There's a reason why they are played by everyone from Knophler to Paul Pesco. They're not "Texas" anything or built to fill a slot in a collector's inventory or fill some wannabee's dream of sounding like (insert three letter acronym blues guy here). With a Strat, it's always hit or miss. You may get a keeper, you may not. Look how many guys here have changed things on a factory Strat. It seems to be the rule and not the exception. A Suhr will be perfect the day you buy it.

They look and feel great, they sound awesome and any time you go to Rudy's you see what Suhr is for sale.

Look, I think a G&L is better than a Fender too. At some point after George and Leo left Fender the company decided to stop improving an start selling the same guitar over and over again, with "innovations" like changing the number of pickguard screws and lams and calling it "vintage".

G&L kept refining it. I think G&L had the street cred and pedigree to call themselves legit when it comes to the Stratocaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Suhr, is a true custom shop axe, not one that was assembled out "selected" production parts. They're prized by professional players the world over. You may not see a difference and that's cool, but man, they work for me!

All good if you feel a real difference.

I didn’t when I had one in my hands but maybe It was a lemon.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Meanwhile...

Forum Member

Shouldn't we wait until they are available & have been played before putting them on trial? just sayin...

I just looked at this PRS guitar more closely. I don't like it! PRS changed a lot of Fender's little design touches, I suppose to make it more their own, and ruined them. It looks like a child's picture of a guitar.

I'll bet it plays really well and sounds great, though!

OA's comments on Suhr guitars has piqued my interest. There's a shop near me that sells them. I can't afford one right now, but I'd love to try one (probably a bad idea).

Forum Member

I love Suhr's. I intend to have one. I loved this better though. Still one of my top 5 guitars. Carved like a Les, set neck, carved soft V, Strat scale, sounds to die for. Ugly as hell but you get to loving it after playing it a bit.

You have to understand PRS. They make a CNC guitar that could easily be built in Korea, but put an exquisite paint job on it. I'm sure that will be the differentiator here as well.

I would have liked them to use the typical PRS "tweener" scale, that would make it fit into its own special place. Instead they just created another twangbox, and there are already better alternatives out there.

My overall feeling? PRS fans are rabid collectors of their guitars and this was simply a chance to create a new "must have" PRS to add to the collection. I'll bet it works too. They know their market. It worked with the McCarty. Next, after the silver they'll do the Dragonburst.

Copying Fender again!

Yes. Sadly, Fender branded shoes in real life!

TFF Stage Crew

I'm dyin' here

too bad that the Roasted Earth is just a prank, they should make it