Thread: First Sunday of March

First Sunday of March

I know it's not Sunday, yet. But it feels like it!

I'm on my annual pilgrimage to Florida to attend a black-tie dinner I've been going to for over 30 years. I took off Friday to travel, and now I'm going to spend the early part of the day visiting my dad's grave and seeing familiar territory and going to some favorite restaurants.

The high winds that have hit the mid-Atlantic came just as I was leaving, so I'm hoping I don't return to destruction. Three years ago, I had a sprinkler head freeze and burst while I was on my trip, so it wouldn't be the first time. All I can do is pray.

So, please forgive the day-early Sunday post. Let's just call it an early placemark.

Re: First Sunday of March

hope you weren't on the plane I heard about last night where basically everybody on board threw up.

They had the fish.

Ha ha. When I saw the thread title, I thought, "Old Strummer's a little confused"--I've actually mixed the days up and posted a Sunday thread on Saturday.

It reminds me of a story. My mother always got my father on April Fool's Day. Every year, she tricked him with something or other. One year, they were on the road, and the truck started gasping and stopping, and Dad told Mom that it was dying. Dad did something, and the truck was fine again, and Dad said, "April Fools!" Mom said, "You poor thing. It's March 1st"
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The lawn looks like it never got raked this Fall, but other than that I think we did OK. Didn't even get any snow... The power blinked off for just a half-minute (just long enough to get clocks flashing 12:00-12:00) but that's OK. Dodged a bullet from what I heard.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

just rain and a whole lot of wind here. yes, my yard looks like it needs a clean up already. Still too early in my opinion although it seems like the birds and critters seem to think we're in for an early spring. I seem to remember a couple extremely cold days last year in March that caused massive freeze burns to flowering trees. I have't seen any robins yet and that is my true harbinger of spring. I'm keeping an eye out for them.

We got a lot or wind and rain here. We lost power and the power company can't say when we'll get it back. With a generator, wire nuts, a hemostat (damn POS Nest thermostat) and my brother's advice, we have heat and hot water! We have the refrigerator running too.

It's still pretty windy.

This was on the bridge 2 miles from where I work-

This wass about 20 miles away from that-

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    We got a lot or wind and rain here. We lost power and the power company can't say when we'll get it back. With a generator, wire nuts, a hemostat (damn POS Nest thermostat) and my brother's advice, we have heat and hot water! We have the refrigerator running too.

It's still pretty windy.

This was on the bridge 2 miles from where I work-
    Wow! Here on the Wisconsin Lake Michigan lakeshore it has been an absolutely beautiful day with a temp around 40 F degrees and the sun shining with tomorrow being a repeat of today. My wife and I are headed out To one of our favorite dinner clubs tonight.

This happened in the town next to us! 80+ mph winds on Cape Cod and pretty windy here, too!

This is near Boston (about 45 minutes from me)-

There are electric service trucks from Canada all over town.

The power's still out, but it's very comfy in my house but I see FB friends mentioning that it's in the 40s F in their house. It was about 59F in my house last night and I think I got a better night sleep than usual.

I'm thankful that it's not snow and 0F!
    Last edited by Don; 03-03-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Sorry about all the bad weather you guys are going through. Here, we're having floods. The sad thing here is that if it gets much higher, it'll hit the poor part of town, and those folks already have next to nothing.

I have my shoulder surgery tomorrow, so today, i've got to get the house cleaned up. May be a couple of weeks before I feel like vacuuming again.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

DAMN! That's some wind! Hope all fare well. Kinda rainy here and as soon as my second flu is gone I'll have to mow the yard.

that picture of the building with the roof missing is one I haven't seen yet. the power poles/street lights & wires picture is from Cambridge, I think. we were pretty fortunate. Don't even think we got the usual number of twigs and branches down from the storm. Probably because they blew into another yard before hitting the ground. Hopefully folks get their power back soon, looks like we're in for snow middle of the week.

the critters around here sure seem to think spring is here. my cat is apoplectic watching the dance of the chipmunks in the backyard. At one point 3 of them were running around like crazy. birds are looking for places in our gutters to build nests. still waiting for my first robin sighting.

my brother took me out last night for my birthday. went to the riverwalk cafe in downtown nashua. great little room, almost like a large living room. saw two bands and they were both great. Sonic Avionics and the Tim Gearon band. Solid performances and a boisterous audience probably bolstered by people who didn't get out the night before due to the storm.

Yup - still winter out there!

Now that I'm bandless (by choice), I've been conceptualizing the next project with some buds of mine. Going a little bluegrass this time. Since alt-bluegrassets have done remakes of classic rock and metal tunes and done it to death, I think we're going to try some well-knows 70s love ballads and give those the bluegrass treatment. Think 10cc's "Not In Love", uptempo, with a backbeat and you've got the idea. We've got bass, guitar and banjo and four vocalists. I'm on dobro and I think I'll give mandolin a shot, too.

Not intending to gig, but we'll give it the youtube treatment and see where that goes!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Sorry about all the bad weather you guys are going through. Here, we're having floods. The sad thing here is that if it gets much higher, it'll hit the poor part of town, and those folks already have next to nothing.

I have my shoulder surgery tomorrow, so today, i've got to get the house cleaned up. May be a couple of weeks before I feel like vacuuming again.
    Luckily, the flooding doesn't reach us. The south shore of Boston is a mess due to flooding. They've been saying that our power will be back up on Tuesday. They just changed that- they're saying power back late tonight. I bought more gas just in case.

Good luck with your shoulder surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    that picture of the building with the roof missing is one I haven't seen yet. the power poles/street lights & wires picture is from Cambridge, I think. we were pretty fortunate. Don't even think we got the usual number of twigs and branches down from the storm. Probably because they blew into another yard before hitting the ground. Hopefully folks get their power back soon, looks like we're in for snow middle of the week.

the critters around here sure seem to think spring is here. my cat is apoplectic watching the dance of the chipmunks in the backyard. At one point 3 of them were running around like crazy. birds are looking for places in our gutters to build nests. still waiting for my first robin sighting.

my brother took me out last night for my birthday. went to the riverwalk cafe in downtown nashua. great little room, almost like a large living room. saw two bands and they were both great. Sonic Avionics and the Tim Gearon band. Solid performances and a boisterous audience probably bolstered by people who didn't get out the night before due to the storm.
    This storm was pretty strong by our standards- especially considering it's the second one like this we've had this season. 62 mph winds here. 80 on the Cape! I don't care what you think of climate change, the storms were not this strong or this often when I was a kid!

The pic of the power lines down was in Watertown- next to Cambridge.

Happy birthday! That sounds like a great place! Nashua is almost close enough to me for a night out. A little over an hour drive.

Best luck to you Willie.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Thanks, CG

Good luck! Hope everything goes well....

Good Luck, ch willie

Thanks, guys.

How are you doing Brother Willie?
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    How are you doing Brother Willie?
    Yes. Check in when you can, Willie.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Yes. Check in when you can, Willie.
    It all went well. They did a nerve block so the real pain is yet to come, but I’m taking the meds just as they told me. Doc said that because there was no tear, just scar tissue that I ought to have a lot of mobility in a few short weeks. I’ll have pt every day for two weeks. It’s taken me forever to peck this out with one finger. Haha. Thanks to all for your concern.

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. Don't over do it!

Hang in there amigo!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Getting old ain't for pussies!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    sure ain't

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    sure ain't
    It beats the alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It beats the alternative!
    You got that right. Every day above ground is a gift.

It all went well. They did a nerve block so the real pain is yet to come, but I’m taking the meds just as they told me. Doc said that because there was no tear, just scar tissue that I ought to have a lot of mobility in a few short weeks. I’ll have pt every day for two weeks. It’s taken me forever to peck this out with one finger. Haha. Thanks to all for your concern.
    Good to hear, Wilie. Heal fast, but take it easy!