Thread: Punk Rock?

Punk Rock?

I was reading a thread about punk rock down at Fender's own board, very interesting replies about the music and how to set up the gear for achieving the characteristic tone (I especially liked the single coil and volume hints)...

So, does anybody here like the genre?

I am currently reading Commando, Johnny Ramone's bio, and it amuses and amazes me how a technically limited dude like him could have such impact on music by being basically a gatling gun of powerchords.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 02-16-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Re: Punk Rock?

It’s not a genre I go to all the time but I love the Sex Pistols first album and some of Lydon’s Work after that. The Misfits, The Clash, and Dead Kennedys are among my favorites. If you can call them punk, I rank Butthole Surfers among my fave bands of any genre.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I don't know how hardcore fans of The Clash feel about London Calling but I feel like it is 4 sides of some of the best rock and roll ever put on record. An absolute desert island album

I find this thread somewhat - shall we say - enlightening. The original punk rockers were mostly terrible players using crap gear, and now people are cork-sniffing their tones as though a Sidejack into a dimed Silvertone is the Holy Grail of tone, LOL.

I played some Punk back in the day when you could earn a little money and honey with it, and generally all I used was classic surf tone minus the drip. Which, if you think about it, is pretty much the sound of a Sidejack into a dimed Silvertone.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Cork-sniffing? I didn’t see anybody gourmandizing anything anywhere.

The discussion was about how to sound like the early punk records using the gear they have... Nothing fancy or artsy

When I've played punk, it was with a Tele and a DRRI. Dammit, I should have gotten a Silvertone! ha ha

A lot of punk was not about musicianship. The Sex Pistols were certainly not on the level of The Clash, who were very good musicians, but I still love the energy, the lyrics, and the music on Nevermind...

I appreciate groups like The Ramones, but I've never been able to get into them. However, their music spoke to a lot of people and still does, so I wouldn't dismiss them or any of the other groups of punk who tapped into something people liked.

I do understand what you mean, Chuck, about the cork-sniffing mentality. I think it's true though of other types of music as well. Aren't many of us guilty of it? After all, why would I have a Hofner Bass, modeled on one that McCartney paid a pittance for and only bought because it was cheaper than a Fender?

And to take that to another level, how many hats and vests were sold, worn by bar guitarists across the world when SRV swung his big stick of influence?
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I loved the Ramones. I saw them whenever I could.

When I played punk rock it was with whatever gear I had. Early on, it was a Pignose 30/60 (that I eventually blew up), a MIJ Tele clone that I bought at the flea market and a Tube Screamer. Eventually the Pignose was replaced with a Fender amp, the MIJ Tele with a Fender guitar. It wasn't about tone (good thing, because the Pignose, Fender Mustang and Tube Screamer sucked!). It was about girl problems, school problems, parent problems, to rebel against music that had pianos and saxophones in it... stuff like that.

I played punk and blues for the same reasons, with the same gear and the same attitude.

I saw the Ramones in 1976 at Mount St Mary high school (all girl school having a dance). I think it was their first time ever in NH. *edit, yes, it was February 25, 1976. I had no idea who they were other than seeing a name in Creem or Circus or Tiger(sp?) magazines.

I was in the front row, where I usually stood during shows at school dances. these 4 guys wearing leather jackets with more zippers than I've ever seen, peg leg jeans, keds, and of course Joey with the hair and sunglasses come out on stage.

"Hi. We're the Ramones from NYC. ONE TWO THREE FOUR."

My hair was parted by Johnny's chainsaw guitar chording. WTF? 120 seconds later, the song ends. No solo? ONE TWO THREE FOUR. What the hell, we didn't even have time to clap. The exact same song plays again. Huh? Again it ends, no solo. ONE TWO THREE FOUR. Are they joking? Wait, I think the words are different. With each successive song, I moved further and further away from the stage. Not at all what I expected.

But I can say that I saw them long before they became really famous. I just wonder how the hell they got booked there though

[QUOTE=DanTheBluesMan;631804]"Hi. We're the Ramones from NYC. ONE TWO THREE FOUR."

My hair was parted by Johnny's chainsaw guitar chording. WTF? 120 seconds later, the song ends. No solo? ONE TWO THREE FOUR. What the hell, we didn't even have time to clap. The exact same song plays again. Huh? Again it ends, no solo. ONE TWO THREE FOUR. Are they joking? Wait, I think the words are different.QUOTE]

Typical Ramones show! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    ter all, why would I have a Hofner Bass, modeled on one that McCartney paid a pittance for and only bought because it was cheaper than a Fender?

And to take that to another level, how many hats and vests were sold, worn by bar guitarists across the world when SRV swung his big stick of influence?

Yeah, everyone wanted the vest but nobody wanted the kimono with the boots and hat. What a bunch of poser wannabees!

I lived and played in Dallas during the day. (Go Wildcats, class of '75!) Man, there are some great stories I can't tell. Jimmy and his kid brother, Boz, and a few others. The whole vest deal was stolen from Roy.

OSA
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Yeah, everyone wanted the vest but nobody wanted the kimono with the boots and hat. What a bunch of poser wannabees!
    Ha ha ha. I never thought about that!

The punk I was exposed to in the early 80s was a watered down suburban version of it. Didn't have a lot of use for it at the time and I, too, find it funny that all kinds of folks these days claim to be influenced by the genre. I think there were a total of three punks in the high school I went to and were largely marginalized at the time. I respect the ethos, but never had an affinity for it. Same for metal - there was a ton of it around, but I was more into the blues influenced British rock from the '60s/70s.

I guess I came to "punk" - if you want to call it that - through the Clash, whom I arrived at through reggae/dub/ska. My first Clash album was Sandinista and hoo boy I was hooked - triple album, no less! My blues/roots loving friends and bandmates thought I had lost my mind but I still spin those disks from time to time and still love it...Magnificent Seven, Police on my Back, Somebody got Murdered...hellz yah!

I still listen to many of the punks from the 70’s/80’s.

A Twin Reverb and a MXR D+ will get you 95% there.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

In the early 80's, I was trying to get our R&R band from "Classic R&R" and originals to more dance oriented tunes. I got my sister in law to join us with her keys, and we picked up several "punk/new age" tunes that were a big hit. Our guitar player even penned a few original tunes to fit the genre.
    I found an "X" cassette a while back, and ripped it, had a CD in my truck, but my wife took it.
    I like the energy of the punk tunes, but I don't think it could have lasted much longer than it did, (with or without SRV).