Thread: I made a Jaguar... brdige question

Forum Member

I made a Jaguar... brdige question

I am hoping to pick some brains on Jaguar Bridge set-up.

Let me start off by saying in no way am I a luthier. I am however really good at building things. So when I decided I wanted a Fender Jaguar I decided to build and spec it the way I wanted it.

I went with a Warmoth Alder body, and a Warmoth stratocaster neck. I made the mistake of ordering a right hand left neck, or inverted right hand neck. To be honest it looks odd, but I love the sound of it. It has Gotoh locking tunners, Seymour Duncan classic neck pickup, and hot rod bridge pickup. All the pots, switches, tremplate, neck plate, mute, claws are genuine Fender. It has a Fender mustang / jaguar floating bridge. And lastly I used Sozo mustard caps in the build. The paint finish is Stewmac's Nitro Laquer paint.

So first question.... I watched a ton of videos on bridge set up, to the point my head hurt. I got the Fender mute dialed in perfect. I put a 1* neck shim in it and the string profile is on point. So now this cursed floating bridge... I set it up so I could just barely slip a piece of paper between the bridge and the strings. When I play the guitar regularly, it sounds beautiful, has great playability, and I can bend the strings.... Now if I play aggressively though I get a buzz out of the low E once in a while. At first I thought it was the bridge cover as I heard it could sometimes cause buzz on low or high E. Removed it, still get a low E buzz if I play aggressively on it, more so with a heavy pick. Any thoughts would be great.

Also one other question. For those that have used Stewmac's Nitro, have you had issues getting the candy coat to stick to the metalic coat? I ran into this issue thus the black strip on the headstock of the neck.

If any one wants my neck and guitar body hangers let me know, just pay the shipping and I will pass them on. They are made of poplar, and fit the standard Strat neck bolt pattern.

here are some pics of the guitar

Re: I made a Jaguar... brdige question

That’s beautiful. I like the headstock. I’m a lefty. Go figure.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That’s beautiful. I like the headstock. I’m a lefty. Go figure.
    thanks, when I first opened the box from Warmoth I thought "WTF I ordered the wrong neck." They assured me it was a reverse RH neck and play great. They did not lie LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
    thanks, when I first opened the box from Warmoth I thought "WTF I ordered the wrong neck." They assured me it was a reverse RH neck and play great. They did not lie LOL.
    I put together a Jazz Bass from Fender AmPro parts, and I couldn't find a left handed neck. Instead, I got a righty and put in my own side dots. It's got a pretty good vibe to it.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison