Thread: My Stratocaster build

My Stratocaster build

Don't really know what to call it. It's part production, part aftermarket and lots of parts that I just don't know where they came from but I had on hand. I'm calling it a 2018 even though its genesis dates back to my last strat build 3 years ago, parted from that guitar in 2016. I've been over a year without a stratocaster and it hasn't sat well with me. I love my tele but i miss having a strat.

Lake Placid Blue alder body 3 pounds 10 ounces.

Squier made in Indonesia rosewood fingerboard neck, original string tree and nut

Squier made in China tuners and bushings

920D pre-wired pickguard mint green aged white plastic, gold Lace sensors. I've been wanting to get back into these for some years now, said I would my next build.

unknown bridge, probably from mim strat. I currently have no trem arm for it. Parts are mostly fenders except the springs, Raw Vintage. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to put strap buttons on it. not planning on a back plate either. This is my first build where my thought is not "I wonder if I can sell this assembled or parted." Unless somebody has to have it and throws a lot of money at me, I plan to keep this one.

oh, and some pics

unplayed neck in need of TLC

after

had a bit of an experience getting these Made in China Squier bushings into the Made In Indonesia headstock. I had to ream out the tuner holes first time I've ever done that. No going back now. I also massaged the nut with some 2000 grit sand papert. I might try to cut a bone nut for it someday.

a mockup

Re: My Stratocaster build

Nice! Congrats on having a Strat again.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

That looks great! I love LPB with a rosewood board and a mint guard. I've been thinking a lot about building a Strat with a rosewood board- or at least hot rodding an existing one.

I put Raw Vintage springs on my Strat. It took all 5 of them to replace 3 Callahams. They feel nice. Can't say of they sound any different.

i used all five on my previous build. definitely a feel thing and I had such a nice setup on it too. I agree, no sound difference.

I need a ground wire and it doesn't have to be vintage correct, just functional and of sufficient length. 18, 20 or 22 gauge and how long?

22awg is fine. From a pot casing to the trem claw? 6"? Maybe 8" would make the guitar easier to service.

That looks gorgeous! I hope she plays and sounds as good as she looks!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

i appropriated the ground wire from a p-bass pickguard that was just under 10 inches long and it will be quite adequate. Got one more errand to run and try to get a walk in and then it is time to fire up the solder iron. Let's get this build on the road, chaps.

Looking great.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Looking good! It has to feel good to put something together like that! Like the blue too!

I got it all together last night and did a set up tonight. I am really pleased with how it came out. I plugged into my SF Princeton NR and had to stop because I was late with my mom's meds. Oops, sorry about that.

This is going to be a lot of fun, I can tell. I haven't put the strap buttons on it yet and I don't have any plans to put a back plate on it. I've got a trem bar in the mail due for Saturday delivery.

Going to let it sit tonight and check it again tomorrow.

So Dan -
    I have to ask - and this is just me - so please forgive me for where I am coming from......

what is YOUR favorite part of this? The feel of the neck, the sound of the instrument unplugged, the tone plugged in with those pickups, the fact that you put it together, and now the dance of finessing the fit and setup to you, or the fun of the hunt, and assembly?

I did one of these (a build from 0% on hand to complete) as a bass....... and LOVE IT!
    My personal answer was ......... E - All of the Above
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

TFF Stage Crew

Ooo, that color. LPB is becoming a favorite of mine

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    So Dan -
    I have to ask - and this is just me - so please forgive me for where I am coming from......

what is YOUR favorite part of this? The feel of the neck, the sound of the instrument unplugged, the tone plugged in with those pickups, the fact that you put it together, and now the dance of finessing the fit and setup to you, or the fun of the hunt, and assembly?

I did one of these (a build from 0% on hand to complete) as a bass....... and LOVE IT!
    My personal answer was ......... E - All of the Above
    I was going to go with E -all of the above, although I'm wondering about the pickups. I had them years ago in a Strat Plus and maybe it was rose colored glasses looking back. it isn't that they sound bad, they don't. They may be too 'polite' for my tastes. Which is kind of funny because I tend to play clean with lots of fingerpicking. But I also like using the volume control now, something I didn't do back in the days when I first had these. And they don't seem to change except get softer or louder, and that isn't what I'm looking for when I do volume swells. I mean, yes, obviously I expect it to get louder and softer but I also expect it to get a little richer, more complex as the volume increases and I'm not feeling that with these lace sensors. Now if I were recording jingles in a studio and wanted a steady dependable 'nice' sound, they'd be damn hard to beat. I'm thinking of getting another pickguard set up but now the hunt begins anew as to what pickups to go for.

Forum Member

Warmoth body, Callaham bridge, Bare Knuckle slow hands, WD V profile neck, Klusons., CTS pots.

very nice.

I was contemplating a blacked out tele build like that. Lost the auction on the body, though.

Forum Member

Looks Great