Thread: Pedals can become an addiction...But there is always room for more! What's missing?

Forum Member

Pedals can become an addiction...But there is always room for more! What's missing?

I have plenty of pedals for a nice sounding/straight forward setup; however, I'm intersted in adding one more pedal to make my rig more versitile. What am I missimg in my pedalboard (besides a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2)...Flanger, phaser, ocatve, acoustic simulator, etc.? Please offer suggestions/advice...I like to play everything from country to metal!

This is my setup:

Fender Deluxe Strat Plus > Boss TU2 > Boss CS3 > Boss MT2 > Boss GE7> Boss NS2 > Boss DD3 > Boss CE3 > Boss NS2 > Mesa Boogie F30

I'm also interested in suggestions/advice regarding the order of my effects for producing best overal tone.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    I would use an A/B box for the tuner so I could keep the signal more pure. Plus, you'd be able to tune silently.

A few True Bypass boxes for your Boss pedals is a must.

If you do that, you probably wouldn't need the NS2.

True Bypass pedals will keep your signal 100% pure for the effects that are off at the moment.

And always use the highest quality cables such as George L's.

I would recommend http://www.loop-master.com for the True Bypass and A/B pedals.

Forum Member
    I'd suggest really taking the time to check out all the Fulltone pedals, GREAT stuff. I've got a Choralflange, and a Fat Boost on my board. Also the Barber Tone Press is a fantastic compressor that lets you blend the clean signal back in with the compressed one.

Forum Member
    Too....many....pedals....make.....my.....brain.... hurt...

i'm with pbradt on this one, you don't need anymore. i don't play boss stuff so the number and letter thing i don't understand. when i played in a cover band i stumbled upon a good set up for me. tuner, wah, phaser, od, clean boost. five pedals got every tone i needed. i started with a lot more, then realized i could accomplish it all with just those mentioned. granted i did some knob fiddlin, but it was simpler to use, and less to carry around.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

You could use a Flange (the little guyatone FL-3 is fantastic), or a phaser pedal, I like the old Ibanez 9 series, I was in highschool when they came out.

Go to E-bay, search your favorite brand + pedal. It's fun to get in trouble that way. Lots of $35.00 deals.
    Carry On!

John

Originally posted by chuckocaster
    i'm with pbradt on this one, you don't need anymore. i
    Count me in with COC and pbradt. Two noise supressor pedals? What do you get with a compressor and a metal zone? I'd cut the number in pedals by at least two, Which ones would depend on the tunes I was doing.

If you haven't checked out the Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal you should. Great! Great! Great!

Forum Member
    Lose the tuner
    I have a TU-8 and it sucks the tone dry.
    Terrible tuner to run in a pedalboard.

or bypass it with a volume pedal, which is what i'm doing now.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Are you guys saying the TU-2 tuner is a tone sucker? You can tune in silent mode with this thing also (which also serves double duty when you're changing guitars).

The best thing I did all last year was to get the CS-3 out of my pedal chain and replace it with a Barber Tone Press parallel compressor. It's true bypass, and much less noisy than the CS-3, but the best feature is the blend that allows you to mix the clean signal back into the output.

Why do you need two noise suppressors in the chain? One at the end should be sufficient. Another way to reduce noise is to replace all of your patch cables with a good low capacitance brand like George L's. How are you powering the pedals? If you are using the daisy chain from the TU-2 power supply, that transformer, while real handy and a battery saver, is a known noise inducer. For gigs, you should run on batteries, or off a clean, filtered power supply like Voodoo Labs or Furman.
    Last edited by MIKEH; 01-03-2004 at 01:26 PM.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Forum Member
    Originally posted by BlueFrogs
    Are you guys saying the TU-2 tuner is a tone sucker? You can tune in silent mode with this thing also (which also serves double duty when you're changing guitars).
    I have the TU-8.
    If the TU-2 is anything like the TU-8, then yes, its a huge tone killer.

Just buy a Boss ME50 and be done with it! It has just about every pedal Boss has ever made in a nice, easy to use package and it only costs $300. With all the effects you get, that works out to about $10 per pedal. And the sound quality is excellent just like their seperate pedals.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Originally posted by Bob Onit
    I have the TU-8.
    If the TU-2 is anything like the TU-8, then yes, its a huge tone killer.
    Hey Bob-
    Not too sure about the TU-8 but the TU-2 is a very commonly used tuner. I have never noticed any tone sucking out of this model and I have never heard those complaints from others either.:)