Thread: Ultimate Chorus RCA jacks

Forum Member

Ultimate Chorus RCA jacks

I've been using my Ultimate Chorus as a practice amp for bass...it works very well, but I don't want to blow out the speakers. I was looking to see if there was an auxillary speaker jack and there is not, but there are two RCA cables in the back that run to a metal box in the bottom of the speaker cabinet. They are labeled "IN" and "OUT" . I don't see these in the amp schematics and the owners manual says nothing about them or the box they run to. I unplugged them as a test and they did not disable the 2-12's. Any help on what these are or if they can be used to wire an external cabinet?

Re: Ultimate Chorus RCA jacks

I believe those are for the reverb. The metal box is the reverb tank.

is there a speaker out or is it hardwired to the chassis? If there is (most fender style amps have one) you can unplug the combo's speakers and use your own bass speaker cab as long as the impedance (ohms) match ... although there are some schools of thought that say you can do fudge on that 'rule'.

i.e. the ultimate chorus has what? 8 ohms? You can use an 8 ohm bass speaker cab.

if you're just practicing and not playing at gig level, you are probably ok anyhow. If you're really worried, you can always look for an inexpensive beginner's bass amp if you're not picky about the sound and spare your amp. Or just get a DI (direct in box) with a headphone out.

Forum Member

@Don: I bet you're right! I'll unplug them and see if the reverb goes away. Thx!

@Dan: No speaker out jack on this amp...they are hard wired up into the amp section. I could easily create one, I suppose. I do have an 8ohm bass cab (half of an SVT. Yup, an old Ampeg SVT. That's why I'm looking for a lighter way to practice! lol. I have the other half and the head at my church and I'd rather not start hauling that thing around again! I tell people I used to be 6'2" till I started playing bass....I'm 5'5"....