Thread: Sunday Thread--21 Janyooaerie

Sunday Thread--21 Janyooaerie

Morning TFFers,

Gray but in the 50s here--veritable heat-wave!

I'm in the middle of recording a new song. I'll post a link to it in the "Sound Check" folder when it's finished. Now that I've got my recording gear figured out, I'm excited about getting these songs and their arrangements out of my head and hear them come together.

This afternoon, I have to go to a memorial service for a dear colleague who killed himself Thursday. It's sad; the guy had a lot of demons. I tried several times to reach out to him, but he insisted that he was okay. He had colon cancer and might have been terminal--he wouldn't talk about it.. I'm sad that he felt he needed to take himself out, but I just don't want to judge him for the decision he made. He was a true renaissance man. Birdwatcher, scientist, historian, Abe Lincoln look-alike (he often showed up at schools dressed as Lincoln on Constitution Day), amateur actor, and the dude could wail on a harmonica. I'm going to miss him.
    Last edited by ch willie; 01-21-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday Thread--21 Janyooaerie

sorry to hear about your friend. I'm not sure if I wouldn't do the same thing faced with inoperable terminal cancer. I've long been convinced on the quality vs quantity of life. That said, by the time I'm ready to check out it's going to be pretty obvious and shouldn't be a surprise to those who know me.

well, the bronchitis seems to have responded to our regiment of meds, curtailment of dairy products to reduce congestion, a quality probiotic to counter the antibiotics, hydration and rest. My mom sounds nearly completely normal. This episode did illuminate the need to make some changes. Using his POA, my brother and I are adding signers to my mother's financial accounts to ensure that bills will be paid in the event that my mom becomes incapacitated (or worse.) This is something we've held off on doing for as long as possible and now the time is here to take these steps. When she was sick it took her 10 minutes to sign two checks with two people helping her. Even before she was sick it was agonizing watching her struggling to sign her name.

my credit card to tagged by some slimeball "free shipping" company that I never signed up for. I'm not sure where it came from but I had some nasty popup a while back that had no way to get rid of it except for a force quit. I'm ordering stuff for my mom's care and the flood of banner ads has exploded.

Sorry about your mom, Dan. It's difficult to see our parents get old and frail.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Hang in there guys!

Today we're putting my son's truck back together. We're replacing the head gasket. Yesterday we removed the head, inspected it, cleaned it up and inspected the rest of the parts. Today we'll clean up the bock deck and the rest of the gasket surfaces and put it back together. It's a Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel so it's a big job- had to use a hoist to get lift and reinstall the head!

In case you're interested in the details (otherwise, skip this)-
    These engines blow head gaskets when people put tuner chips on them and crank up the power. Supposedly, they flow more air and fuel than can be exhausted through the turbo (it doesn't matter if you have a huge 5" exhaust when you have a 2-1/2" turbo). This increases cylinder pressure to the point where the head gasket de-laminates and blows into the next cylinder and the cooling system. Then you get compression pressure into the cooling system which causes an air pocket, with overheating and it also pressurizes the system and eventually forces all of the coolant out of the recovery tank. You're lucky if you don't warp of crack the head or even the cylinder block. His are both fine when inspected closely and measured with a straight edge and a feeler gauge.

sorry to hear about your friend willie. Sucks.

I'm on weekend two of flu -> pneumonia. Been to the hospital, been tested and medicated but barely seeing any progress. usually awake all night coughing incessantly. Might get a couple hours of kip in a night, and that's sitting bolt upright on the sofa because when I lie down, I start wheezing. Might be a few more days of this based on progress so far. I'be been confined to my mancave but just don't have the energy to do anything. Have all this music production stuff here but can't concentrate long enough to even get it all powered up. Been watching a LOT of Netflix. Gonna have to swear off that channel for a while once I get better. My appetite has dropped off to nothing so at least I've lost a few pounds and can fit back into my "skinny" wardrobe when i do back to work. Thanks for listening.

Damn, dirtdog. Take care, buddy. I hope you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I'm on weekend two of flu -> pneumonia. Been to the hospital, been tested and medicated but barely seeing any progress. usually awake all night coughing incessantly. Might get a couple hours of kip in a night, and that's sitting bolt upright on the sofa because when I lie down, I start wheezing. Might be a few more days of this based on progress so far. I'be been confined to my mancave but just don't have the energy to do anything. Have all this music production stuff here but can't concentrate long enough to even get it all powered up. Been watching a LOT of Netflix. Gonna have to swear off that channel for a while once I get better. My appetite has dropped off to nothing so at least I've lost a few pounds and can fit back into my "skinny" wardrobe when i do back to work. Thanks for listening.
    A friend missed our Thursday evening jam session for the last three weeks. He came in Thursday and said he’d had the flu and it really knocked him on his butt. After the first week he went to the emergency room where they said there was really nothing they could do for him. If he’d have come in when the symptoms first started they might have been able to lessen his discomfort a bit.

Lazy day here.

It is grey and raining lightly, perfect for football and feasting.

The grandson and I are finalizing the parts for his Tele Bass build.

I need to make the nut and level the frets tomorrow.

Be well my friends.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Aarggg! The truck is not done! It took so much longer than expected. We've done easier engine swaps (I'm not kidding!). Still a couple of hours left. My body feels beat! So sore!

I feel almost guilty about posting something upbeat, given the dire news I've just read. I am really sorry for your pain and loss, guys.

We are having a few days of uncommonly warm weather, so after church I went and had my passport picture taken. Then I went and washed both cars and completed my passport renewal paperwork. Right now, there is this supposed "government shutdown," so I'm in no hurry to mail my passport and forms just to have them sit unopened on some "non-essential" bureaucrat's desk.

Still, I feel like I got a lot done on a mild, lazy Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Damn, dirtdog. Take care, buddy. I hope you feel better soon!
    thanks willie -

Was in the hospital again yesterday. More poking, prodding and tests. At one point they did a CT scan to see if I had pulmonary embolism as the other tests were coming back inconclusive for pneumonia and my D-Dimer readings were off the chart. At the end of the day, it was diagnosed as some sort of generalized lung infection that wasn't the most probable form of pneumonia. First round of antibiotics were super focused on one bug and were not effective for what i seem to have. The stuff they gave me yesterday will sledgehammer all the bugs. Feeling MUCH better today. Still aways off from 100% though.

Kinda scary as this is how things started with my old man before he passed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I feel almost guilty about posting something upbeat, given the dire news I've just read. I am really sorry for your pain and loss, guys.

We are having a few days of uncommonly warm weather, so after church I went and had my passport picture taken. Then I went and washed both cars and completed my passport renewal paperwork. Right now, there is this supposed "government shutdown," so I'm in no hurry to mail my passport and forms just to have them sit unopened on some "non-essential" bureaucrat's desk.

Still, I feel like I got a lot done on a mild, lazy Sunday.
    Thats OK, OldStrummer. We should really call the Sunday thread the "aches and pains" thread instead of the "coffee" thread! ;-) Glad you enjoyed the day!