Thread: New Song--The Storm by Chicken House Willie

New Song--The Storm by Chicken House Willie

Well, as most of you have heard me whine, you know I was going through a rough patch with depression last year and a failed marriage. And if you'll recall, I said I was writing a bunch of songs that deal with the depression.

I've written 8 of 10 projected songs for the album, which will be called My Year Outside. Not all of the songs are dirges like this one. It's a long song and will be the last song on the album, so please forgive it's length--when it fits in with the whole "album," it should be okay.

There are a few songs for the album that are upbeat and a bit pop-y. This one was written while I was still quite sick. It has taken me months to get my recording gear to operate properly, and then I had to get over the anxiety about it but finally sat my ass down this weekend and said f*** the anxiety.

Thank you for listening.

rhythm--Tele; lead guitar--Strat; keyboard-Korg Kross; bass--Jazz Bass; vocals--my throat and diaphragm...

https://soundcloud.com/chicken-house-willie/the-storm
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: New Song--The Storm by Chicken House Willie

I listen to a good deal of recordings from friends, strangers, etc... youtube, soundclouds, etc... as we all probably do in this day and age. For some reason, I was really excited to have the opportunity to listen to THIS musician in particular. Rarely am I excited to click on someone's soundcloud but I just had a gut feeling that this would be better than "good"... that it might resonate with me more than so much that is out there. And I'll be damned... I was RIGHT! This is simply fantastic, Willie.

While listening to this ( I'm 3rd song in right now!) I'm continually blown away by the talent. It's actually humbling to feel like "I know this guy!". Yea I know not technically, but i dunno... I guess it's because the group of guys that frequent this place evoke a very genuine vibe. You guys don't put on airs so interacting/ corresponding with y'all feels truly effortless and not at all intimidating. Okay so I'm getting onto a tangent there... I digress.

I hear so much in this song that leaves me feeling so satisfied. It's especially neat to hear the complexities within each song, yet to be able to just sit back and allow the simplicity of the finished product to caress my soul... like jumping on a train that I've never been on before... not knowing where it's going but quickly realizing that I can relax and trust the conductor to get me safely to the right destination... to enjoy discovering each new view from the window as the tracks carry me along. To say that I'm impressed is an understatement but I guess I've made that clear!

Anyway, despite the complete individuality of each song, each part, each instrument... I hear what at least to me, sounds like some great influences. Obviously I may be completely wrong and I'm not consciously comparing anything, but John Lennon, David Crosby, David Bowie, Paul McCartney just to name a few.

Okay I'm done babbling here. Blown away. This is truly great and I plan to listen to some or all of these songs again! You've done well, sir!

Man, I am humbled, HPD. That’s so kind of you to say. And thank you, KennyF. HOD, you pegged my influences. Haha, I can’t hide them. Thank you so much for listening to my music. I sit in my little music room and write and record and do these things, not for fame but because I hope family and friends like you will enjoy them. Thank you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

A tad of Doors as well. Maybe more than a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    A tad of Doors as well. Maybe more than a tad.
    Not intentionally but maybe I was channeling Jim. I’ve been to his grave a few times—maybe he latched on...

This is great! I look forward to hearing more. I'd buy the album!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This is great! I look forward to hearing more. I'd buy the album!
    Thanks, brother!

Look likes Walter, sings like Donald!

Good stuff! Like the way you pay homage to your influences and still kept it real and totally you. Well done.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Look likes Walter, sings like Donald!

Good stuff! Like the way you pay homage to your influences and still kept it real and totally you. Well done.
    Thanks, man! I was hoping you'd like it.

That pic is 4 years old. Now, my beard is gray and my hair is cut close to my balding scalp.

Wow!

Sometimes beautiful things come from loss and pain.

Thank you for sharing with us.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Thanks, CG. I appreciate it.

Very nice stuff, Willie - loving the keys on The Storm. Was a good vibe for me this am after a sleepless night of being sick.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Very nice stuff, Willie - loving the keys on The Storm. Was a good vibe for me this am after a sleepless night of being sick.
    Glad it helped.