Thread: Recording frustration

Recording frustration

In the past, I’ve recorded on computers through input and output jacks and have gotten some clean, great sounding recordings. Now I’ve got a MacBook Pro that has only one input for mic and headphones. I’m recording with a USB mixer so I’ve figured out finally how to have the recorded tracks coming through the headphones while the usb input plays through the speakers connected through the mixer. Trouble is, I can’t get the track I’m recording to come through the headphones too. I had to set up an aggregate device to get the already recorded tracks to come through the headphones while I record the next track. While I can live with that when recording instruments, I really need the vocals to come through the headphones while recording. Man it’s frustrating me.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Recording frustration

You might want to check out SoundSource. It may be what you're looking for.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You might want to check out SoundSource. It may be what you're looking for.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/
    Looks interesting. I’ll check it out. Not sure it does more than what I’m able to do already but it deserves a closer look.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Willie,

There should be a button on your DAW somewhere to monitor the track. That should do it. You can record via USB and listen through the audio jack. Another hardware solution is the IK iRIG that goes for about $50.

Which recording software are you using? I'll see if I can find where the monitor switch is.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks, Chuck. I’m almost embarrassed to say that I’m using GarageBand. I’ve got Studio One but even my knowledgeable buddy couldn’t get it to work with my gear. I’ve got three good sounding tracks laid down in GarageBand, so I’m going to stick with it for this song.

Willie, Garage band is actually pretty darned good. It's just harder to find and apply things to the tracks. It makes great sounding recordings though.

See if this solves your issue:

1) click on the audio track you're using ( located on left side of window)
    2) Go to the "Real Instrument" ( or whatever you named the track ) banner at the top right of the window, Below the picture click on the "Browse" tab.
    3) at the bottom of the tab you'll see a speaker picture. To the right of it there's a "Monitor" label with a pull-down menu. Select "On" with or without feedback protection as you see fit and now you should be able to hear yourself while you're recording.

Or maybe not, but try it and see what happens. :)

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks, man. I’ll give it a try.

yes you should be able to record and listen with GarageBand I do it all the time. One thing that frustrates me is how tiny the waveforms are. I used to get large waveforms that made it easy to see where your peaks and quiet spots are, good for hunting down specific areas. Something is off somewhere and I just don't know enough how to remedy it. Google has been next to useless as there are so many versions of GB out there and it seems perversely interested in only showing me stuff from 6-7 years ago.

I suspect something is not right about the behringer usb mixer I’m using. I can get the already recorded tracks in the phones but not the one I’m currently recording. I can deal with that for the instruments but not for the vocals. Probably some button on the mixer I haven’t found yet. I’ve laid down drums, bass, piano, and synth. Still need lead guitar and lastly vocals. So close and yet so far.

Willie, screw the mixer and use the POD for the audio device. Plug your guitar and headphones into the POD and you're good to go. It really is that simple. If you have USB connection your MAC will recognize the POD. It's a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Willie, screw the mixer and use the POD for the audio device. Plug your guitar and headphones into the POD and you're good to go. It really is that simple. If you have USB connection your MAC will recognize the POD. It's a wonderful thing.
    That’s a really good idea. I’ll try that.

Willie - what DAW and recording interface are you using? I'm assuming GarageBand, but what's the hardware? We can help you nail this down a bit better with this info.

And just to make sure I'm reading you right, you're trying to monitor the track you're laying down or other tracks behind the one you're laying down?

DD

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Willie - what DAW and recording interface are you using? I'm assuming GarageBand, but what's the hardware? We can help you nail this down a bit better with this info.

And just to make sure I'm reading you right, you're trying to monitor the track you're laying down or other tracks behind the one you're laying down?

DD
    Yep, GarageBand and a Behringer Xenyx USB mixer. OA reminded me that the Pod HD500X can do vocals, so as he says, screw that mixer. I can make it work with the Pod. I'm going to try that today.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Yep, GarageBand and a Behringer Xenyx USB mixer. OA reminded me that the Pod HD500X can do vocals, so as he says, screw that mixer. I can make it work with the Pod. I'm going to try that today.
    Thanks for the extra info Willie. These smaller USB mixers aren't all that intuitive when it comes to connecting to the DAW. Frustrating for sure.

A couple of things to fiddle around with in terms of signal routing - in GB, make sure you have main output assignments mapped to the Xenyx. On the Xenyx, the audio from computer to mixer can be routed to the main mix (on the mixer) using the 2-TR/USB to Main button. IIRC, you'll need your monitors/headphones to be connected to the appropriate jacks on the mixer. At that point you should be able to hear the existing playback from GB and record to one channel (in stereo), assuming you've armed the channel to record and you're monitoring that channel. You may encounter latency issues.

Dirt dog, I obviously need to learn more about the mixer. I was able to use the 500x for the vocals, and it works beautifully. What a machine. Best money I ever spent.