Thread: Recording frustration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recording frustration

In the past, Iíve recorded on computers through input and output jacks and have gotten some clean, great sounding recordings. Now Iíve got a MacBook Pro that has only one input for mic and headphones. Iím recording with a USB mixer so Iíve figured out finally how to have the recorded tracks coming through the headphones while the usb input plays through the speakers connected through the mixer. Trouble is, I canít get the track Iím recording to come through the headphones too. I had to set up an aggregate device to get the already recorded tracks to come through the headphones while I record the next track. While I can live with that when recording instruments, I really need the vocals to come through the headphones while recording. Man itís frustrating me.
    Guitar freaks of the world unite!

Re: Recording frustration

You might want to check out SoundSource. It may be what you're looking for.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You might want to check out SoundSource. It may be what you're looking for.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/
    Looks interesting. Iíll check it out. Not sure it does more than what Iím able to do already but it deserves a closer look.

Willie,

There should be a button on your DAW somewhere to monitor the track. That should do it. You can record via USB and listen through the audio jack. Another hardware solution is the IK iRIG that goes for about $50.

Which recording software are you using? I'll see if I can find where the monitor switch is.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks, Chuck. Iím almost embarrassed to say that Iím using GarageBand. Iíve got Studio One but even my knowledgeable buddy couldnít get it to work with my gear. Iíve got three good sounding tracks laid down in GarageBand, so Iím going to stick with it for this song.

Willie, Garage band is actually pretty darned good. It's just harder to find and apply things to the tracks. It makes great sounding recordings though.

See if this solves your issue:

1) click on the audio track you're using ( located on left side of window)
    2) Go to the "Real Instrument" ( or whatever you named the track ) banner at the top right of the window, Below the picture click on the "Browse" tab.
    3) at the bottom of the tab you'll see a speaker picture. To the right of it there's a "Monitor" label with a pull-down menu. Select "On" with or without feedback protection as you see fit and now you should be able to hear yourself while you're recording.

Or maybe not, but try it and see what happens. :)

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim