Thread: Chorus, Flanger, Phasor, or "Vibe"? Why?

Chorus, Flanger, Phasor, or "Vibe"? Why?

I'll go first....

I am a Hendrix and Trower fan. Univibe!!!

The Phasor got old and boring within a few days of buying it. It sat unused. I sold it and never bought another one.
    The Flanger got old and boring within a few weeks of buying it. It sat unused. I sold it and never bought another one.
    The Chorus sounded good, but again, I was bored. I sold it and soon regretted getting rid of it. I repeated that sequence twice more, but I kept the last chorus. I just pulled it back out after 10-15 years and put it on my "small pedalboard". It will stay there.
    The Univibe has been on my main board the longest (years!!!). Changing the order of my pedals (and the electrical connection) seems to have solved a noise problem I have been having.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Re: Chorus, Flanger, Phasor, or "Vibe"? Why?

I like phasors. I've had a few and currently have a DOD 201 reissue that I like a lot. I had a Phase 45 reissue that I loved but sold because I had no need for it. I have a Dejavibe and enjoy that too.
    I'm in a funk band at the moment and I think the DOD 201 might be useful. I have a Tech 21 Rotochoir on my board and love it though it hasn't seen any use with this band yet.

I don't like straight chorus and flangers that much. They don't seem to suit what I play.

I really dislike it when I go see a cover band and a guitarist uses a swirly sound on every single song!

Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble
    MXR Phase 95 and EHX Bad Stone
    ModTone Harmonic Tremor

I don't use them too much... just depends on the song, but these are the ones that currently do it for me.
    Why? I enjoy layering a little flavor into the sauce before cooking!

I had an MXR Phase 95 - Sold it - just could not get into it...
    I have an EH Neo Mistress Flanger - So far I like it - For now...
    I have an MXR Uni-Vibe - Love it - Not going any where... Trower and Hendrix fan...
    Never really used a Chorus....
    Last edited by harleytech; 01-14-2018 at 05:38 AM.

I love my MXR phaser, but I'd sure like to have a Univibe.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

When using twin amps onstage I use the chorus last in the chain to

a) Make it stereo
    b) Split the signal to the amps

That said, a tiny bit of chorus goes a looooonnnnnggg way.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I am still going back and forth over this one. I seem to like the unaffected sound. I play straight through the amp 90% of the time. Sometimes I boost with a small overdrive and I'll use delay as a "special effect". Having said that, I do use my wah pedal a lot. I have not used the chorus pedal yet since I put it on the board. That is 3 gigs.... I have friends that can use 3 different delays in one song.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash