Thread: Problems in my shoulders

Problems in my shoulders

I started hurting in both shoulders in June but thought it was just arthritis. It kept getting worse to the point that I can't lift my arms up to the sides and rear without excruciating pain. Now I'm going to a bone and joint clinic and doing two days a week in physical therapy. Fortunately, I can play guitar without pain. Reaching my arm out to tune...that hurts, so I've figured out how to do it without hurting.

I'm a little freaked out about it, hoping it doesn't get worse. I got x-rayed, and they didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and all they've told me is that there is something wrong with my rotator cuffs. It's not arthritis, and it's not bursitis. So it's a mystery why both of my shoulders should be out of kilter. I'm just hoping that it doesn't get bad enough that I can't play guitar.

Any of you older players have this problem? Getting older sucks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Problems in my shoulders

I'd check the ticker and make sure there aren't any blocked arteries and I'd also check the spine and maybe your posture has deteriorated and is putting undue stress on the nerves

DTBM makes good points.

I knew my right shoulder hadn’t been right for years but it finally let loose in a most speactular fashion.

If everything else checks out an MRI will confirm or eliminate rotator cuff damage as a cause of the pain.

Medical advice from a worn out commercial electrician: get a physical, stress test, and an MRI.

Personally, I wouldn’t be doing any physical therapy until the extent of the damage is known.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

I have been doing NSAIDS for a few months because of "tennis elbow". Apparently noshing and having a "smash at the fuzzy" at the local country club must be what I do in my sleep. Wonder if I'm any good?

Thanks, guys. I have a doc appointment today and will bring up the ticker. I'm also going to bring up the statins I take--several friends have told me about similar symptoms with statins. I'm hurting so much that I can't sleep.

On the good news front, I'm digging the Pod HD500x. i have it hooked up to my small P.A., and I haven't turned on my DRRI in over a week. The Pod is that damned good. I'm so lucky to be able to play guitar without further pain.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Two years ago - I thought I had rotator cuff damage, it kept getting progressively worse. It turned out to be "frozen shoulder" per my orthopedic guy. two cortisone shots and several weeks of PT later, it loosened up and has been much better.

I hope your issues are that innocuous
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Well wishes for diagnosis and subsequent relief.

Doc says it's just "wear and tear." I got a shot in each shoulder and was told to continue exercises at home. It's not miraculously better, but I had less pain last night and got a few hours of good sleep.