Thread: Frigid Sunday mornin'

Frigid Sunday mornin'

Cold here in Connecticut - walking the dog at -6 (3 am) was no fun. We had a birthday party for my oldest daughter yesterday - the big 4-0! The wife promised she wouldn't drink - that was bull$hit... but she wasn't too bad until my stepson decide a little THC might calm her down so he talked her into smoking something (not sure what) and she had a freak-out afterwards. Luckily it was just before everyone left so it didn't ruin the party - but it sure ruined my evening... she seems better this morning....

It's supposed to start warming up this week. Hope you all have a great week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Frigid Sunday mornin'

-9 F° when I got up this morning. My mom has been sick all week with a cough. Took her to doctor on Friday and then to hospital for chest x-rays and blood work. At least it wasn't congestive heart failure nor pneumonia. Coughed her brains out last night and did not go to church today, my sister who usually drives her also has a cough. I'm surrounded by sickies. I've been washing my hands so much this week that my fingers are all chapped. As much as I hate to put hand cream on I might have to my skin is cracking and that can let in cold germs too.

No luck getting a guitar body yet, there were a few at prices that weren't too excessive but not the finishes I want or more relic than I want. I put in for a massdrop on some high end sennheiser headphones that I want to purpose for mixing. They aren't closed back so I probably won't be using them for tracking if I ever get to where I can use a mic again. I'm going to have to build gobos or wait until heating season is over this house is so noisy. With the crazy cold of this winter I'm not getting any work done on the garage workshop. It looks like this week will be closer to normal temperatures so I might actually get something done even if it is just a few furring strips. I have one 2x4 I need to install and I need reasonable temperatures for my nail gun to work.

Today feels like a guitar day, I was going to play last night but I wanted to sit in the living room and enjoy the glow of the window lights for probably the last time this holiday season. I really do hate shutting them off and have often contemplated just keeping them on for the whole month of January. By then it is light again after 5 PM and winter doesn't feel like it's lasting forever anymore.

Been a good two weeks of sub zero arctic temps up here. It's been painful to be walking around outside for more than 10-15 minutes. Changing today so it'll be a balmy -10C by this afternoon - warm enough for it to snow!

Pressure has been off for musical enterprises since I retired from my gigging band. Right now going through an artificial intelligence/machine learning course online. Dusting off my very rusty math skills!

We've been in the single digits up to about 20 degrees the last couple of weeks; today it's supposed to get up in the 40s, a relative heat wave.

I just got back from spending a couple of days with my son in Nashville. It makes me so sad when I leave him, and I dread his moving to Los Angeles this summer. But he's got a great future ahead of him, and I support him.

I went to World Music (nice bunch of guys there) when I was up there--clip on Snark and a handful of picks. Always feels good to go into a brick and mortar to get supplies. The closest shop to us here is 45 miles away, so I usually get stuff through Sweetwater.

I wish everyone a good week.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It was below 0f here last night when I went to bed. We don't go there often- usually late January/early February. It's almost 20f now and is supposed to get into the upper 40s during the week.

We've been working on my son's 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with a 6.7 liter Cummins diesel. It starts fine and runs well but won't heat up. The thermostat is new, but he bought it at the local autoparts store. I don't think it's the right part. The Cummins parts dealer is about 40 minutes from here. He'll buy one from them tomorrow.

It's been in the single digits at night here for the better part of a week. Yesterday, the shower in my master bathroom reduced to a trickle. The toilet, tub and two faucets worked normally. The shower is the furthermost outlet in my home, and there is no access panel to it. This suggests ice in the line.

The trouble is that I had to fly to California today. So, I had no other choice but to turn off the water mains. I can't risk a thaw breaking a pipe during my absence (I'd rather not risk a broken pipe in any event!). The weather is supposed to warm this week, so my hope is that when I return and open the mains again, the shower will work again. If not, I'm afraid I'm facing some expen$ive repairs...

We just finished a sixteen day run of temperatures at 0°F or colder which would make this the coldest December I can remember in recent years. Starting Monday we have a three day warm up to the low 40s and then they drop back to more seasonal temps around 15°F to finish out the week.

With the end of the "twelve days of Christmas" we spent Sunday taking down the holiday lights that we put up outside our home and took down a lot of the decorations inside. Today the tree gets put outside for pick up and we get everything back to normal in the house.

There will be no taking down of outside lights here until likely well into April or even early May. Once in a rare while we'll get enough of a break in March but those are few and far between. I left the window lights up. I'm going to keep them going for a few more weeks, screw it. Sat in the living room last night basking in the glow. I had them off when it started to get dark and the depressing effect was more than i could stand. I immediately began to feel better when they were on.

we're supposed to get up into the 50s by friday. then turn to more normal winter temperatures, low to mid 20s for highs and mid teens for lows. That is far more tolerable. My mom has been sick since NYE so it has been quite the rough spell. I'm trying very hard to stay hydrated and to keep from getting sick myself. Knock on wood.

Dunno how you guys do it although I hear all the time "Don't know how you guys handle that Texas heat" so I guess we all make do with what we have to.

It's warmed back up here now... Highs gradually rebounding back into the 60's-70's but the cold snap that inundated so much of the country also made it's way down here. A week ago Sunday night was when it started going downhill. It was already cool ( or "OMG IT'S FREEZING!!" according to my fiancee) but by midnight Sunday we were down to freezing. Temps Monday only made it up to about 40 and then with the setting sun, it went down into the 20's where it stayed for the next couple days. Windchill readings were in the teens and single digits all around central Texas. Then finally late last week it began to slowly warm back up. Coldest actual temp that I recorded here was 22 degrees.

Our home was built in 1942 and although the plumbing has obviously been updated throughout the years, it still is in no way able to take long stretches of sub-freezing temperatures. I did what I could to insulate the exposed pipes as well as around the bottom portion of the house ( pier & beam) and then I opened up the cabinet doors and dripped the hot and cold faucets. I've lived in this house for about 15 years and I've never had to drip the faucets for this long... 64 consecutive hours!

No idea why I felt the desire to share all that lol.

Anyway... Y'all take care.

my sister works for an insurance claims adjuster, brutal cold snaps like this mean mucho work for them. It's interesting because there's a delay in claims until AFTER the snap is over and things start to thaw. That's usually when people discover all the burst pipes. Then in the spring when people start to re-open the camps that been closed all winter there's another big spate of claims. It is not like wind storms and tornadoes where the damage is usually immediately known. As it gets warmer this week I bet she'll get busier and busier.

Last two shows last weekend we packed out in temps below zero. Relative Humidity has been in single digits too but somehow my frets haven't sprouted. Lot to be said for bound necks.

Bad thing about this cold is I'm pretty much sitting around the house because it's too nasty outside, and I end up spending money on the internet. New reverb, new controller.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I used to be a plumber and I hated cold snaps like this - it was no fun! My brother has been stuck in a frozen house for the last 4 days. The tenants had gone away and the house froze u while they were gone - everything froze.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I texted my sister last night about coverage for my mom while I go to a wake tomorrow night. Just as I had predicted once it warmed up all the frozen and burst pipes have let go and the number of claims has skyrocketed. I don't know why people think keeping the heat low in nearly historically cold weather is a good idea. You're going to pay one way or another, I'd just as soon avoid the repairs and pay for the heat.

Yep! I got tired of hearing people say over and over "Oh boy, You sure are going to have a high water bill next month!". Yes... keeping my faucets dripping combined with keeping the heat cranked up to 80+ IS going to be high ( along with the gas bill). But the alternative is having NO heat and NO water for as long as it takes to get someone out here to repair/ replace damaged lines, etc. I'll gladly pay whatever my gas and water bills are next month. Plumbers don't come cheap... not the licensed and qualified ones anyway.