Thread: Happy New Year! -- Check In

Happy New Year! -- Check In

Well, I figured somebody ought to start a thread like this, so without waiting, I figured I'd be that someone. Let's all check in for the New Year and see how many active posters we have on this forum. I'm "OldStrummer," and I'm alive and well in 2018! Happy New Year!

Re: Happy New Year! -- Check In

Last night went OK. My wife's friend got sick t the last minute but her husband and son came anyways. The last time he came here he was kind of a dick but last night we had a really interesting conversation. We cooked a 10 1/2 pound prime rib for three adults and a kid, but it was good - a bit overcooked but tasty.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Happy New Year Everyone !!!!!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! I’m still good and active!

I am here and though I had a few too many while jamming with a young guitar player, he and myPod HD500X have inspired me a bit. He was playing arpeggios that I couldn’t play, and that has given me something concrete to work on. Seemingly unimportant but something that makes me want to play again.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Alive and well.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

alive and kicking. I was going to play some guitar after midnight, even had GarageBand open and ready, went to the bedroom to take my eyedrops, basically fell asleep in my chair until 12:56 and elected to go to bed instead of playing.

just had a nice 2 hour nap in the living room chair with a blanket on my lap. Still very cold here. It looks like I'm not going to go walking again today. After I take my afternoon drops, if they don't conk me out (they often do) I want to have a rare afternoon guitar session. I'm not much of one for NYE resolutions but I want to take more time during the daylight hours for playing than I have been.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am here and though I had a few too many while jamming with a young guitar player, he and myPod HD500X have inspired me a bit. He was playing arpeggios that I couldn’t play, and that has given me something concrete to work on. Seemingly unimportant but something that makes me want to play again.
    Willie,

Here's some Line 6 Gear in use. The guitar player is Paul Pesco who was born just down the road from me. You can see his shortboard and add-on expression pedals on the floor and his amp behind him. Your HD500 can sound even better than this.

https://youtu.be/GoXxdObGKuI

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My wife and I are both battling colds but life goes on. Our New Year's Day was spent in sub-zero temperatures (I think it's around -5°F now) but we still managed to visit my 98 year old mother and get a lot of errands run. We finished the day with a great pizza that was washed down with a pair of bottles of chianti while watching an excellent new release movie titled "Wind River". Watch the movie, you'll enjoy it. Happy New year!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    My wife and I are both battling colds but life goes on. Our New Year's Day was spent in sub-zero temperatures (I think it's around -5°F now) but we still managed to visit my 98 year old mother and get a lot of errands run. We finished the day with a great pizza that was washed down with a pair of bottles of chianti while watching an excellent new release movie titled "Wind River". Watch the movie, you'll enjoy it. Happy New year!
    Happy New Year! Wind River is an excellent portrayal of Wyoming (at least the natural side (and I do suspect much else)). Brutal and Beautiful. An excellent flick but it is not a lighthearted romp. If you get despondent easily it is a good one to skip. We are hoping to move to the other side of the Wind River Range (Pinedale) this year, God willing. P.S. Longmire on Netflix is a good series if you like to see the "simpler" side that still exists there...

Hey Now - Still Alive and Well!

Was sick a LOT lately - stomach issues, viral? made it out yesterday to a friends for a NYD party - good friends, good music, and good food. Wife has also had some severe issues past month(s), and have been taking care of her. NYE was jsut another night for me this year, in bed sick, apathy whatever. 2017 is out 2018 is in....... lets make this a gooder one!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Willie,

Here's some Line 6 Gear in use. The guitar player is Paul Pesco who was born just down the road from me. You can see his shortboard and add-on expression pedals on the floor and his amp behind him. Your HD500 can sound even better than this.

https://youtu.be/GoXxdObGKuI

Chuck
    Thanks, Chuck. I’ll check it out.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

So c... co... cold! I feel for you guys that are experiencing single digits.

Happy 2018!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Happy New Year! Wind River is an excellent portrayal of Wyoming (at least the natural side (and I do suspect much else)). Brutal and Beautiful. An excellent flick but it is not a lighthearted romp. If you get despondent easily it is a good one to skip. We are hoping to move to the other side of the Wind River Range (Pinedale) this year, God willing. P.S. Longmire on Netflix is a good series if you like to see the "simpler" side that still exists there...
    Just remember that Longmire was filmed mostly in New Mexico, although some placement shots were done in Buffalo (Johnson County).

I plugged in for a bit yesterday in GarageBand. Got a wild hair to try something. I recorded some chords and single notes at 120 bpm with some drums, then played it back at 60 bpm. woah. so then I thought "record it at 240 bpm and play it back at 120." Same effect, really ethereal especially with a little delay and reverb getting all stretched out. Then I recorded another track playing along with the slowed down track and it was pretty wild the effect I was getting. Now I want to try that with a bass guitar. It is really making me want to get my workshop in the garage finished. Curse this cold. I thought I'd be able to work out there this winter. Normal cold weather wouldn't be so bad but this shit is brutal.

Happy New Year everyone.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Just remember that Longmire was filmed mostly in New Mexico, although some placement shots were done in Buffalo (Johnson County).
    I had heard that. And the town (Durant?) is fictitious (at least in Wyoming). Looks the same for a lot of it though. You get in the basins between the ranges and you wouldn't know the difference. And everything there in real life is still much the same as the show. A lot more simple. Almost a return to the 50's in many respects. And every time we are up there we eat breakfast at the Busy Bee (in Buffalo) and watch the trout swimming up the creek outside.

Breathing in and breathing out.

One foot after the other.

Happy New Year.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

Saw Wind River last night. Great movie but very brutal indeed.