Thread: 2 point tremolo Bridges?

2 point tremolo Bridges?

See if you can help me on this one, friends...

I was trying to find out when and how Fender first used 2-point tremolo bridges, like the ones in American Standard, Deluxe and a few signature models...

1986, maybe?

Re: 2 point tremolo Bridges?

I know my late eighties Strat+ has one. Best thing Fender ever did to the Strat IMHO.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I never even knew about 6 point or 2 point bridges until after the turn of the century. There was a time when I didn't turn a screw on a guitar myself and paid other people to do that. I must have owned at least a dozen stratocasters over the years but most of them were from the '80s on so I'd guess they were probably 2 pointers. It wasn't until I got involved in custom shop guitars and their vintage appointments that I learned there was any differences in the bridges. I tend to favor the custom shop stuff so I'm inclined to go 6 pointer myself. Built an excellent guitar that I sadly sold in '16 that had a 6 point bridge. Not sure what I'd do if I had to specify 2 or 6 on a custom ordered body. Mostly I'm looking at MJT stuff and they're all 6 point AFAICT.

Two point has a lot of advantages. Tunes better, you can adjust your string height better, no screws on the the bridge pieces cutting you up and if you need to remove the pickguard you can leave the strings on the guitar. Unless you're just bent on having vintage the 2-point is vastly superior from a pure players standpoint.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

1986 is reported as it being developed and introduced but there are notes that say an updated tremolo system was introduced in 1987 production models. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard to find out.