Thread: Star Wars? *spoiler alert*

Star Wars? *spoiler alert*

So, reading Chuck's thread about a song he's intending to cover I guess a few of us have seen the latest SW movie, and would like to comment.

this is the thread!

I'll give you my own impressions later too

Re: Star Wars? *spoiler alert*

If Laura Dern's Admiral was so smart, why did she take twenty minutes to make the right move, allowing dozens of rebellion transports to be vaporized?

Beyond that, I liked it.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

I liked better than any of the ones after the first three originals.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I liked better than any of the ones after the first three originals.
    Any movie no matter how bad is better than those three...

I think I need to watch it again to really tell how well I liked it.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Being ever inquisitive, I decided to learn a little more about the Star Wars Universe (SWU). My son-in-law, who is a big Star Wars fan was telling me some of the back story that is depicted in other media: Marvel Comics, Star Wars Rebels (the animated series), and even some video games. Many of these are canon, and when seen as a whole, a deeper, more complete picture of the SWU comes into focus.

There is too, the Star Wars wiki:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/

If you are confused about some of the parts of the franchise, you may find your answer there. It doesn't replace poorly done space opera, but it may help pull some of the pieces together.

Forum Member

I'm probably gonna be pilloried here, but I think they all pretty much sucked. Stretched and awkward story lines, schmaltzy dialog and crap acting, but great effects for their time. Never understood the rabid following unless you were an effects lover (which I was). It was like they wrote the story after they came up with a new gee-whiz effect. We are going to see it this afternoon. I am sure I will have buyers remorse, it's almost a guarantee. But then, I have seen all of them. I guess that makes me an idiot!

Ha ha, renderit. I'm with you for the most part. I hated the prequels, and the last one left me cold. I actually enjoyed The Last Jedi. I am not a huge fan, but like you, I've seen them all.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Ha ha, renderit. I'm with you for the most part. I hated the prequels, and the last one left me cold. I actually enjoyed The Last Jedi. I am not a huge fan, but like you, I've seen them all.
    I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but after seeing TLJ with my son-in-law, and having spoken with him about Star Wars "canon," I've been doing some exploring and investigating. There is a world (pun intended) of data outside the eight movies (nine, if you include Rogue One) of the "standard" story line: The Clone Wars animated series (2), Star Wars Rebels (also animated, but produced by LucasFilm, and thus canon), and various web sites, including the official Star Wars.

The Star Wars Universe is immense! There are astromaps of all the planets and regions mentioned. There are complete schematics and diagrams for everything from stormtrooper uniforms, to All-Terrain Armored Transport (AT-AT) Walkers, TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighters, and biographies of even minor personages (?).

Given all this, I'm still reminded that we're talking about a movie. The entire purpose of movies is to remove us from our everyday, routine lives for a couple of hours, entertaining us with story and character. That we get so hung up on debating minutiae says more about us than it does about the movie makers.

I think that's part of the fun.

Star Wars is indeed a very vast and interesting movie series, and Star Trek has a ton of political and historical sources, easter eggs and such. It has a legion of fans and there's a whole culture to it. People even learn, study and speak Klingon language.

If there are more Trekkers here I'll definitely start a thread about it.

Now, back to the main subject: I like all 6 previous movies, exactly because I see them as OS just said. They're fiction, and as such I don't expect perfection or logic.

Original trekkie here, saw Star Trek ToS when it first aired. It was the only show I liked better than Lost In Space and that was a pretty tall order back in the day. I was all about Space (still am). One of my first experiences with the absurdity and obvious abundance of stupidity in the corporate adult world was when NBC cancelled ToS. WTFluffernutter? Who cancels the best show of all time? What do you mean the ratings weren't that good? I was watching it, wasn't I? Don't I count? This was when I started to realize that people are stupid and almost incurably so.

I liked the original 3 SW (Episodes IV, V and VI). The prequels did not get off to a good start with The Phantom Menace. To this day I am utterly incapable of watching it without succumbing to the anesthesia-strength ennui that movie induces. The Clone Wars was better, almost anything was better than TPM. I almost put TPM in the same category as Manos-Hand of Fate but nothing can ever be that bad. It is in its own parallel universe it is so bad. Revenge Of The Sith is probably my favorite of the three prequels, but it isn't the same "stop my surfing and watch it to the end every time I come across it" as movies that I really like. I saw The Force Awakens at home during one of those promotional freebies and it was ok, I kind of like to see it again. I don't have any plans to go see TLJ at the movie theatre at the moment but if somebody were to ask me if I wanted to go with them and I could have somebody stay with my mom, then I'd probably go.

I have ToS in my Amazon Prime watch list. Every now and then when there is absolutely nothing worth watching and all the shows I'm behind on are trying to extort money to watch reruns, I'll go there and watch. But lately I've been feeling a sense of urgency about not wasting too much time in front of the TV in lieu of spending time in front of my computer working on GarageBand and playing guitar.

Ok, now my own opinion.

This was the only one I completely disliked. Plot is poor, predictable and the humor is despicably unnecessary... I left the theater wanting my money back.