Thread: One Week Until Christmas Eve Sunday Thread

One Week Until Christmas Eve Sunday Thread

Hope you're all having a good morning.

I'm headed to Nashville for our big family Xmas get-together. It'll be a good day of togetherness, of food, and the giving of gifts--big family so we draw names.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: One Week Until Christmas Eve Sunday Thread

My daughter is home. We're going to set up the Christmas tree and I'll look at her car for a couple of issues that she's been complaining about.

slept in today, fighting a cold. need to get out for a walk, sunny but cold day. hopefully not too windy. I want to take the old incandescent lights off the artificial tree on the porch and put on the new LED strings I bought. It's a half tree we leave up year round up against the wall by the non-moving part of the slider between the porch and the kitchen. The first year we put it up and took it down. After the hellish experience of trying to re-assemble it the second year we elected to leave it up in the spot that isn't used for anything else anyway. We put it on every night as a patio light now. Once the built in lights stopped working I put regular strings of mini lights on it. Those last about a year and change before they start crapping out, sometimes less. These LED are supposed to be rated for 100 thousand hours, some 50 times the incandescents.

Football game is at 425, hoping for a better outcome. the december in miami curse struck again last week. we're missing one of our key o-line players today so I'm a little worried.

Christmas shopping. Yup, I have the day off, so after church I hit the usual places: Kohl's, Target, Toys R Us, etc. Having only minor success, I returned home to have lunch and jump on the Internet. Much greater success! I may be done with my shopping by day's end.

Only one site didn't promise pre-Christmas delivery, so we'll see how things shake out.

Now, I think I pick up a guitar and play a while.

just like yesterday

then I get on my knees and pray

ker-rang duh duh dah nownnnnnnn

Normal day here, football, manchores, etc.

Made gumbo yesterday, even better today.

What are y'all getting your wives/significant others?

I have no idea.

If only she was jonesing for a new bass or amp or even a new exhaust for the car...

Be well my friends.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Roger Daltry had nothing on me during those last few plays of that football game. I am in the doghouse because I scared the cat out of the living room. Still trying to make it up to him. I'll probably be a pony tomorrow (little hoarse joke)

Forum Member

I think I just decided to never buy anything else on Amazon. They have screwed up too many orders on me and left me holding the bag too many times. Earlier this week, they shipped 2 Blu-rays in a large box with a 10 pound dumb bell in the same box with no padding. What could possibly go wrong? Oh, then refund me .69 for one of the Blu-rays because I said don't bother shipping a replacement, so they charged me for the return. And judging by what they charged I paid for the 10 pound dumb bell that I kept... Then 2 packages slated for Saturday. None comes. Call. Told we'll get them there just wait then today send me an email saying to wait for the 19th to request a refund if they have not showed up, THEN show the order was refused by them and got another email saying I will be issued a refund on the 19th. WTF? Was any of that MY fault? Not to mention how they leave stuff at the bottom of the hill in the wind and rain and out of sight of the front door. Or consistently don't meet their free 2 day shipping for Prime members. Or deliver my stuff to neighbors.

Ho Ho Ho. Welcome to the Internet age... P.S. Have you ever noticed how they don't list their number anywhere on the site for complaints? Fortunately you can google Complaint Number for Amazon.

@renderit, what kind of weights do you want?

Lotsa freebees to be had, you pickup and load.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Yeah, but this was something my wife wanted to match the one she had (rubber covered angular head so it does not mess up the floor as bad and does not roll away). She does a bunch of this type of stuff with a group of ladies a few nights a week and wanted it for Christmas. As it was Prime I don't pay for shipping unless it's a return because of my fault. Which makes the refund a total joke...

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    just like yesterday

then I get on my knees and pray

ker-rang duh duh dah nownnnnnnn
    I thought this was funny. I got it. But do you really think it sounded like nownnnnnnn nnn? ;)
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I buy plenty from Amazon and have had some great experiences with problem orders. They have always treated me right - even saying keep the item and we'll give you 100% refund.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I buy plenty from Amazon and have had some great experiences with problem orders. They have always treated me right - even saying keep the item and we'll give you 100% refund.
    I once had Amazon deliver a package not meant for me. At my address. I contacted them (yes, long, circuitous route to find out how) and they just told me to keep the package (even gift wrapped!).

Not all experiences have been stellar. I bought a portable DVD player for my granddaughter that broke shortly after receiving it. They took it back and refunded my money, but the attempt to re-order a replacement was a comedy of errors. I finally gave up. Until this year, when I ordered -- and received -- a newer model that I will give to her this Christmas.

Overall though, I'm pleased with Amazon. I went Prime and it's been great for deliveries, and getting streaming video is a plus.

I've done pretty well with Amazon. Had one bad shipping experience this year. It was a sound bar I ordered for my TV and the box came in looking like it was packed by a homeless person in a dark alley and then given the 900 pound gorilla treatment by the shippers. It arrived held together with duct tape. If I had met the driver I would have refused it but it was left on my door step. I contacted Amazon and returned it for 100% refund. They even paid for the return shipping. Unfortunately it was one of those flash sales so there were no more of the same item at the price I paid. I'm due to renew my Prime next week and I'll be doing it. I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon but very little in the way of groceries which I've found to not be a value in the vast majority of the time.

Forum Member

I had done well with them for years. Most of the goof ups started recently. Many Prime packages being handed off to the USPS not arriving in time but being MARKED as delivered on time. Those I suspect are futzed by the PO, but if that's who they use shame on them. Then I have WATCHED Amazon drivers leave packages at the bottom of the hill. Have found many there and complained.

And I don't know if you noticed...no way to forward a complaint online really. They will ask about packaging, but never respond to negative comments. And I have had 3 instances where the problem does not match the choices. Try to find a place to say "The driver left my package in the other county". Is that a "package problem"? Don't think so. Is it "I didn't get my package"? Don't think so. Responding with either gets you ignored.

So whomever watches those responses probably throws them out. You have to Google their phone number because it is not on the website I can find. The people that answer more often than not are polite but will never get me a refund (unless I complain loudly) without "waiting 3 days". Gee, took my money in minutes! The best I can hit online is not EVER getting me to a person. So I call.

Then the emails start. I will get 2 conflicting emails a day as to status. And the people talking to me read these lines back like they are stuck in a loop. Even though the statements conflict. Is it "undeliverable" or "we never received it from the supplier"? Are you "reordering" or "waiting 3 days to issue a refund"? 1 broken item in a 3 item in a box order? "Tear apart your furniture to remove the other 2 to send them back" is not really an option. Human intervention is required to attempt to inject some logic into the situation.

Nope. They are successfully putting everybody out of business without putting themselves in between you and the suppliers. I am seeing the handwriting on the wall with the way this is going.

But I guess I can be "happy" because they let me waste more time giving them "stars" for how I feel.

BUT. The groceries is actually pretty neat because now I can get some stuff that I have never been able to get here that we love. Expensive mostly but now at least I can get them. Mr. Mustard and Dot's Pretzels for an example.

P.S. I don't care for pretzels, but I will eat of bag of Dot's Homestyle's if no one stops me. Try them! Thank me later.