Thread: Give A Little Bit - Of Advice

Give A Little Bit - Of Advice

So, if you're going to do Give A Little Bit live, which would you do - the original Supertramp version or the Goo Goo Dolls live in Buffalo version?

My inclination is to do it in the original Supertramp tuning but do the Goo Goo Dolls arrangement. That eliminates guitar changes onstage but still has the funkier B section.

What do you guys think?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Give A Little Bit - Of Advice

I'll check out both and tell you what I think as soon as I get back home, I'm off to see Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I'll check out both and tell you what I think as soon as I get back home, I'm off to see Star Wars

Derailing thread: I just got back from seeing it. Withholding any comments for now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Derailing thread: I just got back from seeing it. Withholding any comments for now.
    Saw it Friday - feel the same way.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Wow guys! SQUIRREL!

I really like the original over the newer. Key not so much of a biggy but the arrangement definitely!

Supertramp did that song? Shit, I thought it was Frampton some commercial is using it right now

Original Supertramp version gets my vote!

I prefer the Dolls' live version. I like how they arranged it for the live performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I prefer the Dolls' live version. I like how they arranged it for the live performance.

We rehearsed it yesterday, the Goo Goo Dolls version is for sure the best live arrangement for us. It's danceable and doesn't sound as dated as the original. Still instantly recognizable but the rhythm section for the GGD is much tighter and less folksy. Liked the fills on the turn and the syncopation on the verse better too. With the kick and bass coming through the FOH the song pops, and the lighting can play around going into the B section. It's definitely the better of the two from an audience perspective - at least in our humble opinion.

Now we need to figure where to put it in the set list. It's kind of unique in that it's up tempo and semi-jangle power chord structure, but has a power ballad feel to it. I'm thinking it will fit better and as a "come down" song after a power pop song rather than a ramp up to something like I want You To Want Me or Bad Girlfriend.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

While I love to be inspired by all recordings of a tune I will cover, I dislike listening to musicians attempting to imitate a record, so I never try to do it myself. I like a musician making the tune his or her own. Take what you like, add a whole bunch of you, and forget about whose version. Steal from everyone. If Etta James sang "At Last" the way Glenn Miller played it (like everyone else before her) we would still think the Glenn Miller version was the best.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by VibroCount View Post
    While I love to be inspired by all recordings of a tune I will cover, I dislike listening to musicians attempting to imitate a record, so I never try to do it myself. I like a musician making the tune his or her own. Take what you like, add a whole bunch of you, and forget about whose version. Steal from everyone. If Etta James sang "At Last" the way Glenn Miller played it (like everyone else before her) we would still think the Glenn Miller version was the best.

I hear you Vibro, but that's a luxury I don't have. I get paid to do what I'm told. We're a stage band that does large events and we're hired to be a live jukebox. I've worked for some headliners and their expectation is I come in and play it exactly the way the audience remembers it. I guess if I was the headliner I could do it my way, but the reality for me being the hired gun is to shut up and play my guitar, and be positioned on stage where I'm supposed to be at any given time. I do love it when I get to play some jazz from time to time and then it's all-about the weaving with the bass but sadly, I love the stages with risers, fog and lasers and a lot of people. I know it's satisfying to play some really cool stuff that comes out of your head, but for me it's even more exciting to look out on a few hundred people and see them raising glasses and dancing and knowing that I'm one of the team making that excitement.

A tight band is a wondrous thing. If that means knowing my part and executing and watching and hearing it all work, that's the fun for me.

I look at a band like a race car engine. All different pieces but when they fit together perfectly they make magic. We do a lot of dual leads too, so no going off the game plan there.

Having said all that, I still know that in a stage band, the drummer and bass player are front and center and the ones driving the show, and my job the guitar is to fit in and when the time comes throw to out the hook. Besides, at this stage in life if they hit me with a Trouper it will blind the audience, LOL!

Chuck