Thread: Sunday two weeks to Christmas Eve !!

Sunday two weeks to Christmas Eve !!

We got snow yesterday and it did not fool around. Started around noon and was still going when I went to bed late after midnight. As much as I was hoping we'd have a brown Christmas it sure looks like winter out there now. It is after all meteorological winter as of a week ago last Friday and soon will be astronomical winter as well next week.

I don't have much snow clearing to do today, just the front walk. We have a plow service my landscaper who tends my yard during the non-winter months did a great job clearing my driveway and even salted the icy spots. The sun was out and the driveway is mostly clear. I'll do some tidying up in a bit after I procrastinate on the computer for a while longer

Got a Cloudlifter mic activator at a very good price this week. It did help boost the ribbon mic's sensitivity quite a lot and revealed a few things. First thing is the pre-amps in the Behringer are definitely not very quiet, not by a long shot. I sort of knew that already. Second is my house is unbelievably noisy. It picked up the heat knocking and pinging in I think every room in the house. It also picked up my mom's television down stairs out on the porch !! That blew my mind. Another thing it revealed is that the buzzing in the acoustic is not limited to just the open strings. What I thought was pre-amp distortion at first was actually the guitar. There may be a reason why the previous owner sold it to a pawn shop. I'd like to find a luthier who could tell me what it is and whether or not it would be worth fixing. It's my nephew's guitar. Obviously he isn't playing it very much if he lent it to me long term.

There's no way I'm going to build a real soundproof studio. I have neither the money nor the talent worthy of spending that kind of money for a vanity pursuit. I'm just going to use the tools I have to work on the playing and worry about the sound later if I ever get to the point where I think I have something worth putting in 'print' so to speak.

A little shoveling, go for a walk, change the humidifier filters, maybe a little football and wait for our game tomorrow night.

Re: Sunday two weeks to Christmas Eve !!

Got the first snow of the season here, too. Not much, the kind of snowfall I like: an inch or two on the grass and trees, but no sticking on the roads. Credit goes to the snow local preparation crews, who made sure the streets were salted and brined in advance.

Gotta pull a five-hour shift at the running store today, and then immediately head out for a 3-1/2 hour drive to Pennsylvania, where I'm teaching a class for the next three days. Not going to take my Pignose this time, as leaving it in my car for hours on end in this cold might really throw it out of whack.

We got close to 6". I had to work yesterday and we all agreed not to cancel the meeting. It meant for a bit of hairy driving - not me in my Nissan Frontier, but other numb-nuts were driving like a-holes. A few accidents - mostly spin-outs along the way. Just finished using the snowblower - cleared the driveway and walks. It will hit 40 today so the rest will disappear. We'll put up some Christmas decorations and I'll be lazy. I have a killer schedule at work for the next month so I'm taking it easy when I can. I think the wife will be sober today so it will be all good for a change!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Light dusting of snow here too. Not the first of the season but this stuff might stick around this time. Mucho powered down this weekend as I slide into gig retirement mode. I’ve got one, maybe two gigs, before the new guy takes over.

Totally sad this weekend. Had to take my dog Buster to the vet yesterday. He’s lost his muscle mass, and they think his lymph nodes are swollen because of cancer. We may have to put him down Monday. Even if not, it’s just a matter of time. He’s been a good boy. I love that dog. My best friend.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Oh man Willie.

Sending my most positive thoughts for Buster and you.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Sorry to hear about Buster Willie!

We got about 3" of snow yesterday. It was a good trial run for some repairs that I made to the snow blower. It worked great! Unfortunately, the ground underneath was not frozen so it's a little messy.

I decided to replace the electrolytics in my 1990s Carvin TV50. While I was at it, I lowered the value of a cathode bypass cap on the dirty channel as well. It'd a big enough job to pull the PCB that it's worth doing everything at once. The traces are on the underside on these older versions of the amp.
    I also disassembled the 4x10 cab to replace the grill cloth. What a pain! That cab did not want to come apart and the speakers did not want to come out!

Thanks, Coyote and Don. I appreciate it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Totally sad this weekend. Had to take my dog Buster to the vet yesterday. He’s lost his muscle mass, and they think his lymph nodes are swollen because of cancer. We may have to put him down Monday. Even if not, it’s just a matter of time. He’s been a good boy. I love that dog. My best friend.
    Nothing sadder in the world... sorry amigo!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I feel your pain... I put my dog down a while back , And it hurts real bad... I still Miss her. We had Heidi for 16 years.
    I'm real sorry about Buster...

few things suck worse than that, sorry to hear it

Yeah, my sympathies, too. I lost a cat I wasn't even really attached to recently. When you really love a pet it sucks!

Sorry to hear of busters troubles Willie... God speed!

Thanks, guys.

Forum Member

Sorry dude! Man, there is nothing worse I have experienced.

Thanks, renderit. He's gone now, and I'm hurting, but at least he isn't hurting anymore.

I'm sorry. You have my condolences.

Thank you

Bother Willie,

There isn’t anything I can say to ease the pain of a family member lost.

You did the right thing, Buster is no longer in pain, and is free to run in the most wonderful places with love in his heart for you.

Be well my friend, remember the good times, and please reach out if you want.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Bother Willie,

There isn’t anything I can say to ease the pain of a family member lost.

You did the right thing, Buster is no longer in pain, and is free to run in the most wonderful places with love in his heart for you.

Be well my friend, remember the good times, and please reach out if you want.
    Thanks man. I’m touched by the sympathy you all have shown. Grateful to you all.

been there, done that. never gets any easier. I just try to remember the good times. After caring for my previous cat with 5 years of insulin injections 2x day, it was time to let go. The house was so empty without her. I kept seeing her in the corners and in her favorite places only to realize she was not there. The following year we adopted a couple of cats from the local shelter. We still have one. I play with him and spend time with him every day and do my best to not take him for granted. I like my pets better than I like most people.

dusty in here, you have my condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    been there, done that. never gets any easier. I just try to remember the good times. After caring for my previous cat with 5 years of insulin injections 2x day, it was time to let go. The house was so empty without her. I kept seeing her in the corners and in her favorite places only to realize she was not there. The following year we adopted a couple of cats from the local shelter. We still have one. I play with him and spend time with him every day and do my best to not take him for granted. I like my pets better than I like most people.

dusty in here, you have my condolences.
    Thanks. I have three more dogs here and I love them, but Buster was my baby. It was hard for me to come home today, knowing that he wouldn’t be here. I’ve got a lot of good memories with him. Was going to bed one night and saw something out of the corner of my eye going into my closet. At first I thought it was a mouse. But no. It was Buster. So for the last three years, I kept the closet door opened for him and made sure he had room to lie.

Condolences, Willie. Ultimate respect to you for doing what was emotionally painful yet beneficial to quell the suffering of your companion.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    Condolences, Willie. Ultimate respect to you for doing what was emotionally painful yet beneficial to quell the suffering of your companion.
    Thanks, man. I got up yesterday morning and wrote a hard driving rocker for him. It all came together more quickly than any song I ever wrote. Lyrics, riffs, and melody just poured from my heart.

We've had dogs for years and some great ones, but our little dog, Daisy has really captured my heart. I never let myself get too close to pets, and I swore I'd never own a "Foo-Foo" dog, but this little dog is the coolest, sweetest pet...

RIP Buster..

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    RIP Buster..
    Thanks, melody. I appreciate that.

That’s sweet, gj.