Thread: What's up with you musically at the moment?

What's up with you musically at the moment?

Going to start recording in earnest today--not in Ernest because that would be sick..

I finally got my computer to recognize my USB mixer, and I tested it with a drum track.

The frustrating part is that I can either record or hear playback, but not at the same time, at least not through the speakers. So okay, I always use the cans, and I think I can make that work.

The next challenge will be to record the guitars. With the Martin, I've got a great traducer that sounds really close to mic recording. If the sound isn't as great as I get with the mic, then I'll go back to the mic. With the electrics, I'm going to try, for the first time, to mic my Deluxe. It'll be a little loud, so I'm hoping I can still hear the playback through the cans while recording. The amp has to be loud enough to get a decent tone. I may need to move the amp into a closet and shut that door.

I was considering buying an amp modeler or a small amp with modeling, but I'm just not into spending dosh if I don't need to. And besides, my Deluxe at 9 years old is just so damned sweet sounding.

I'm excited about recording my new songs. I've got 6 ready to go and one with the music and melody written, but I'm still working on the lyrics. I'll be posting them on soundcloud when I get them done. I've got a central theme that I'm working with, and I plan to write at least three more songs for this particular project. These last three are to be upbeat and pop-ish-rock.

In the past, I've written mostly political songs or love songs, a few too about my kids. This project is more personal, about my experiences over the last year and my struggle between the darkness and light, dejection and joy. I've tried to write about this stuff without wallowing in self-pity. My aim is to show that hope and joy win the day, even though some of the songs are about the opposite of these.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to everyone for your support over what has been a difficult year but one in which I've learned a lot and have landed on my feet.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: What's up with you musically at the moment?

I'm supposed to be playing in a funk band. We've rehearsed twice but can't seem to get everyone together on a weekly basis.

working on tracking mixing and mastering, getting to know my DAW and interface, and dubbing to road test tapes for the car. trying to do a little something everyday, even if it is just calling up a previous session and listening to it. i need to work on documentation so I can do forensic analysis and build up a knowledge base of what works and what doesn't. Struggling to avoid buying any more stuff until I get what I do have up running and performing useful tasks.

The good news (for me, at least) is that I'm once again picking up the guitar and playing. I confess that I'm sort of just random playing, likely because I'm exploring the capabilities of my new little amp, but at least I'm getting some finger work in.

Broke my right wrist. Not really affecting playing but sometimes when I grab a guitar or move a piece of gear it smarts. Driving is a bit of a challenge.

No cast, just a hairline and I'm going to tough it out for the rest of the band.

Lots of drugs to keep the pain and swelling down.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Broke my right wrist. Not really affecting playing but sometimes when I grab a guitar or move a piece of gear it smarts. Driving is a bit of a challenge.

No cast, just a hairline and I'm going to tough it out for the rest of the band.

Whoa! That's a bummer. I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you don't do anything to exacerbate it.

Breaking my elbow was the beginning of a many year hiatus from guitar playing for me. That's something I'll never get back.

Ouch!

Still working on recording with Charlie Karp. We are working about once or twice a month. He wants to work more and offered to work at a reduced rate to make that happen. I have a couple songs almost ready to post online - you-all will be the first to know.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

owie, hope it heals well. I hope you're at least wrapping it with an ace bandage. I'd be leery of aggravating it without some means of support to protect it. Have you considered a removable cast/splint?

Fairly regular gigs with my country cover band (on bass) - once every couple of weeks.

Infrequent gigs with the very part time hard rock originals band - although guitar/vox and I have been getting together semi-regularly to write and lay down tracks.

Doing my typical winter ramp up to recording my own stuff (instrumental compositions, variety of genres) with the end goal being some sort of material I can submit to a library/royalty free music site. Non-commercial stuff like they would use in radio and TV shows, film trailers, podcasts, youtube vids etc. Spending a lot of time working on drum/percussion tracks in Logic/EZ Drummer.

was trying to record something yesterday and just couldn't get the lightning in the bottle. finally hung up the headphones and gave myself a break from it for the night.

I'm in kind of a hiatus with the band.

We played the last gig of the year a couple of weeks ago and currently have none scheduled yet.

I am using this time to take a break and rest a bit.

Playing in a band that is based a good couple of miles away from your hometown, dealing with logistics, sound and the always present human factor is tiresome and we've been playing gigs non stop for 2 years and a tad without taking five.

My daily routine has been tough at work; good thing is, I let lots of stress out when I work out at the gym. It's probably the best part of my day.

I have been feeling tired and sore lately. My feet are killing me (believe me, I'm a huge fan of boots and all star chucks but just got myself an extra pair of Rainbow sandals and Birkenstocks), my back hurts and I can't sleep right. Lots of nights up playing, plus ciggies and alcohol abuse might have led me to a state of fatigue and nevous exhaustion.

I think I'll take some time to just cuddle my guitars until the band gets together again and take better care of my health and get myself some peace of mind.

Quit the smoke and booze, started a healthy granola diet (ok, laugh at me) and took a shot at trying to deal with stress in a more relaxed way.

I broke both of my wrists years ago! Make sure they heal correctly. Only tough it out if your doc thinks it's a good idea. I don't know if it would've mattered much, but I did not take care of mine at the time. I pay for that now.

As I replied on the Sunday morning thread, I'm spending a lot of time with headphones on (my little Eden practice WTX practice amp) learning the entire show for a cover band on bass to replace an ailing friend. As an old blues musician it is a real workout to be learning to accurately play stuff that falls more in the pop vein of music.

For the last fifteen to twenty years I've spent most of my stage time playing with groups/musicians where I had the freedom to just listen and play my interpretation of songs, so to now have to memorize bass lines in tunes to make them sound like accurate covers is a real stretch.

It feels good to finally be at the point where I'm getting a good enough understanding for the material that I can start to relax a bit and play my feel for it but keep it close to the original

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    For the last fifteen to twenty years I've spent most of my stage time playing with groups/musicians where I had the freedom to just listen and play my interpretation of songs, so to now have to memorize bass lines in tunes to make them sound like accurate covers is a real stretch.

It feels good to finally be at the point where I'm getting a good enough understanding for the material that I can start to relax a bit and play my feel for it but keep it close to the original
    Learning covers is a pain in the butt, but it's always good for giving you ideas for your own original playing.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

A few things:
    Been getting some small gigs with a Motown group playing bass

Been serving at church as electric rhythm, the Ric 360/12 has been doing a good job

Serving as lead guitarist for a Christmas Cantata. First time in a number of years I had to work with an orchestra and a score. First rehearsal was last Sun and went very well.

Picked up an acoustic gig early in Jan. Someone remind me to replace my strings and battery

Overall this is MUCH better than a year ago. I was unemployed and worried I would have to liquidate gear. Wasn't in the best mood to play. This year, I have a job through roughly May and finding practice time can get hard to find. (Just finished a run through for this Sun. Tomorrow is a run through for Motown. I have 2 different rehearsals this Thurs and Fri. Motown on Sat, service Sun am then a different rehearsal Sun evening).
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    A few things:
    Been getting some small gigs with a Motown group playing bass
    Dayum! How's it feel covering Jamerson and Babbitt? Yikes
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Fired a lead singer last month, hired a new one. Much better going forward with this new guy. We can do some funner tunes like ELO, Journey ( Yeah! I finally get to the "Lights" solo live! Woohoo!!!), more VanHalen, Cars, you name it. It's good to change up the lineup every so often to keep things fresh.

Renamed and rebranded the band, getting shirts, decals and all that made right now. Why?

Another band decided it would be a good idea to steal our name and start booking themselves as us. And our former singer is building a new band of rookies and is going to book under the old name too.

I think it's hysterical. Grab the popcorn and watch two crappy bands slug it out, LOL! We simply changed the name, told the people we play for and all is well. We are now the Sons of Orson. See if someone steals that and says it was their original idea, LOL! Plus we get to sell new merchandise.

Come in, Orson.

Chuck

Forum Member

Fired a lead singer last month, hired a new one. Much better going forward with this new guy. We can do some funner tunes like ELO, Journey ( Yeah! I finally get to the "Lights" solo live! Woohoo!!!), more VanHalen, Cars, you name it. It's good to change up the lineup every so often to keep things fresh.

Renamed and rebranded the band, getting shirts, decals and all that made right now. Why?

Another band decided it would be a good idea to steal our name and start booking themselves as us. And our former singer is building a new band of rookies and is going to book under the old name too.

I think it's hysterical. Grab the popcorn and watch two crappy bands slug it out, LOL! We simply changed the name, told the people we play for and all is well. We are now the Sons of Orson. See if someone steals that and says it was their original idea, LOL! Plus we get to sell new merchandise.

Come in, Orson.

Chuck
    Next time use my old bands name. I have never seen anybody steal it and that was from 35 years ago! "Shitty Name For A Band". You can thank me later.

Come in, Orson.

Chuck
    Well done. Keep us updated about the Sons' social medias and stuff! I like to follow friends' bands!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Dayum! How's it feel covering Jamerson and Babbitt? Yikes
    That is out of my wheelhouse to do a proper direct cover. Just holding the groove ala (fill in the blank)
    Mark

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Mostly I just play an old Hammond C3 every sunday morning in church. I'm not a great, proper keyboard player, but people seem to like what I add to the mix, so whatever. Sometimes I play irish music at local pub/cafe jams using a melodica, tin whistle, or guitar. I ran out of external reasons to play guitar, and lost most of my motivation for it. It's a shame, because I like it and have lots of cool gear, but if I'm the only one that wants to hear me play... It just feels like something is missing.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnda View Post
    I ran out of external reasons to play guitar, and lost most of my motivation for it. It's a shame, because I like it and have lots of cool gear, but if I'm the only one that wants to hear me play... It just feels like something is missing.
    I can relate. I think I need to join a band again.

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I can relate. I think I need to join a band again.
    I never was able to find a stable band outside of college. :-/
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

I have been fronting a trio playing "the same old stuff".
    What is really cool is that now, my 17 year old son has been able to play some fill in work with my band.
    I have been taking him to open jam nights and he has been proven himself to be a very capable musician.
    We are writing songs together in our basement and putting together a new band.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    What is really cool is that now, my 17 year old son has been able to play some fill in work with my band.
    I have been taking him to open jam nights and he has been proven himself to be a very capable musician.
    That is awesome! Music is one area that I think a "family that plays together" (the Title of Spirit's second album, by the way) enriches everyone. Unlike politics, which I think should not be a "family business," and businesses in general that practice nepotism rather than merit, the interplay between family members can be a rich and rewarding experience.

Recently, I went to see "David Crosby & Friends" in concert. One of those "friends" is his son, James Raymond, who is an enormously talented keyboard player.

That's awesome! I have a friend who's a pro musician (makes his whole living that way) and a few years ago his son started playing drums with his band. His son has since gone to college and started a career but still sits in with him whenever he's needed and can do it.

Sweet!