Thread: Ok, I know...

Ok, I know...

...you all are probably fed up with me talking about the Dead and the guys, but allow me just one more this year

...does anybody here have any info on the strat that Bob Weir is playing with Dead and Company?

I don't mean the Hoeg strat-like guitar, I mean the stripped (natural?) Fender strat

Re: Ok, I know...

I don't know, but I love natural body Strats and Teles.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Reminds me of Bonnie Rait's Strat. That 90 degree jack is bugging me a little!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Reminds me of Bonnie Rait's Strat. That 90 degree jack is bugging me a little!
    It's just a standard Strat jack w/a 90° connector plugged into it

Yeap. Regarding that, it’s just the cable end

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    It's just a standard Strat jack w/a 90° connector plugged into it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Yeap. Regarding that, it’s just the cable end
    Yep. I've done it myself. I should've said plug, not jack.

My stepson just saw the show here in the Hartford area. He loved it!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Oh they are rocking, that's for sure! Dead & Co is one crew I wish I could see live.

Apparently John Mayer had an emergency appendectomy yesterday

Yeah, they had to postpone the schefuled Dead & Co concerts.

Good thing he's already doing fine. I follow him on Instagram.

Man, I’ve just never gotten into The Dead. What album of theirs might change my mind?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It's hard to say a particular album if I don't know which ones you've listened to, but if I were to pick something for someone who was willing to get to know them I'd start with live stuff from the '74 tour.

And this:

The first few studio albums by the Dead were interesting, and one is a personal favorite, but the first Dead album which excited bot the fans and people who only knew the Dead from recordings was Live Dead. Since then, both American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are my favorites. Once Ron died, my enthusiasm diminished.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Yeah, the only two Dead albums I own are Aoxomoxoa and Live Dead. I listened to my friends' Europe '72 a lot, but never bought a copy.

with the Dead it was mostly the live stuff. I actually used to be afraid of them and other than Casey Jones, knew nothing about their songs. My first year in college, a friend of mine took me to go see a screening of The Grateful Dead movie. Once I saw what the scene was about, my mind was completely changed about them. I saw my first concert shortly afterwards and it all became clear. Once you get into them, you start to realize that there is a definite chronology. Some people define eras according to who was playing keys at the time i.e. Pigpen era, Keith era, Brent era. Keyboards were a hazardous position, sort of like Spinal Tap's drummer. Through the taper culture that the band fostered and even encouraged, there is audio documentation of their music unlike any other band in existence. I forget the actual numbers but the Dead played thousands and thousands of shows before Jerry died. And practically all of them are recorded and available for free or next to free.

That said, I had a couple of albums of theirs I liked. Mars Hotel was one but the one that I really liked was Blues For Allah, which became the basis for my primary online name, Bluesfordan. I forget why I didn't have that moniker here, maybe I did register it but forgot the password, maybe somebody beat me to it, I don't know. I used to deliver pizza in the '80s and i had a vinyl copy of that album that I made a cassette copy of. What I didn't know was I had a rare disc that most Dead fans could no buy in the US for some arcane reason. I could have made a fortune selling copies of that album back in the day and I didn't even know it. I listened to that and For The Faithful constantly in my car slinging pies all across campus.