Thread: Modeling Pedal or gizmo for recording

Modeling Pedal or gizmo for recording

I use to have a PodXT for recording guitar and wish I hadn’t given it away.

I need something not too expensive to get a good guitar recording with. Small amp or pedal. Any recommendations?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Modeling Pedal or gizmo for recording

Are you recording to a DAW? If so, which one? There's a whole slew of software based amp sims that work with various DAWs.

LOL, I given on basically a permanent loan a POD xt and I had it out last night. The frustration of trying to get it going probably contributed to my inability to play worth a darn after I jettisoned the idea. It technically isn't mine to sell so I can't offer it.

We just recorded straight through the software. Charlie recorded a pretty clean signal and then made it "dirty" through plug-ins. It sounds amazing - plus we could keep altering the sound as we went along.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    LOL, I given on basically a permanent loan a POD xt and I had it out last night. The frustration of trying to get it going probably contributed to my inability to play worth a darn after I jettisoned the idea. It technically isn't mine to sell so I can't offer it.

Dan, a PODxt is capable of some great sounds- I've recorded a lot with one. Go to one of the empty slots and pick the "DOUBLE VERB" amp. Leave the drive low and dial in you clean sound. You can put your favorite pedals in front of it to start, or add what you need in the POD but remember the effects on a POD can be way over the top so use them at low levels.

Let me know what you're struggling with and I'll be happy to help.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    We just recorded straight through the software. Charlie recorded a pretty clean signal and then made it "dirty" through plug-ins. It sounds amazing - plus we could keep altering the sound as we went along.
    Yep, and you can re-amp later or send the channel to another and add another amp/cab to give it a layered sound. DAWs are liberating.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Your explanations are fascinating. I wish you could record a few for us and show your settings on each part. That would be fantastic as nobody ever does that in demos. I have a feeling if I saw a few in person and had somebody show me HOW I might be less stupid!

I'm using Studio One on my macbook. I've thought about buying a used PodXT, but I think I'm going to try to record my Deluxe. My semester is almost over, so I'll have time to experiment with it. If I can't capture the sweetness of my amp, I may look into the Line 6 Spider or something like that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison