Thread: The secret to tone?

The secret to tone?

I was messing around tonight and found a little tone secret! It's not the expensive for what it does Soldano amp, not the Fulltone '69 Pedal with hand selected germanium transistors, not the Lava and George L cables. It's not even the old Carvin guitar with a Badass bridge that's guaranteed to leave scars on the side of your palm!

Nope, it's the crappy bypass in the old $39 Vox V847 wah that sucks all the extra high end that the maple guitar and high gain amp make. It removes the "fizz" in a way that I have yet to accomplish using the guitar or amp's controls! I discovered this by mistake tonight. I just wanted to make some noise.

Actually, the guitar's not all that bright. The amp's more hair metal than blues, though.

Re: The secret to tone?

just to clarify, are you happy or distraught?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    just to clarify, are you happy or distraught?
    Happy that it sounded great, distraught that it took putting a wah inline to get there.

I was just noting that the crappy bypass in these old pedals was part of some great player's sound and that was verified for me.

Maybe it's just a bad connection on those George L's

Actually, I used them a lot and never had a problem. But many, many people who never used them will tell you how much they suck.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

I use them. They suck pretty well for me.

George L's sucked until I learned to assemble them correctly. There's a learning curve for most of us. Some people don't make it through that. I haven't had a problem with them in years.

TFF Stage Crew

I've also used GeorgeL's for years, & they have failed on me before at gigs. The significant difference is that I was back up & running before a soldering iron would have been warm enough to fix a conventional cord, lol
    & to be perfectly honest I haven't had them fail as many times as a regular cord has

Forum Member

Dad came from the military avionics engineering ilk. He instilled in me a innate mistrust of anything "crimped". It took me years before I would even try them.

By the by: The original post was perfect in it's sarcasm and wit! It brought a tear to my eye!