Thread: Anyone Wear a Hat?

Anyone Wear a Hat?

This is aimed at the guys, so women, please don't be offended.

When I was younger, I really dug wearing fedora-type hats. I golfed with my dad, and would buy cheap fedoras from the convenience store (yes, they used to carry them!). As I got older, the only hats I would wear -- and then only rarely -- were baseball hats. Oh sure, when I'd go running I'd frequently wear a running cap, but I find baseball and running caps too casual for everyday wear.

Now that I'm nearing retirement age, my hair has become thin and flyaway, and I'm looking for some decent headgear for the winter.

I wear brown and black jackets primarily, and therein lies my conundrum: most fedoras I've viewed online come in black, brown and grey. I'm thinking of something in a forest or olive green, that would go with either color. And those are hard to find! I'm also not looking to spend more than $100 (ye gods, I saw one hat for >$700!). I've been looking at online hat purveyors, and thinking today is Black Friday, might find something. But price is less important that finding a good hat.

So, what should I look for? Brand? Crushable? Material (wool is preferred)? Suggestions?

Re: Anyone Wear a Hat?

I like hats too, though I don't wear them too often, mostly because I'm short and anything I wear on my head makes me look even shorter.

But I do like a good Trilby or Fedora, I own a couple that I bought in Rio de Janeiro, one is cheap and perfect for beachside walking and general rough wear (the gray one), the other is a very fine wool hat, made in Chile. Very well made and comfortable for more social situations...

Last edited by ch willie; 11-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

I've got more hats than Van Camp's has beans

I stumbled upon the fedora lounge a few years ago ( www.fedoralounge.com ) when looking to sell a Stetson golf cap presented to President Gerald Ford from OSU football coach Woody Hayes. I'm sure that just lurking there may give you some idea's... companies, links, etc. Good luck.

Only in the winter to keep my head warm.

Btw If I we’re you I’d definitely throw a couple more bucks in the pot and go Stetson

TFF Stage Crew

The gray felt I'm wearing in the TFF Bands thread is a vintage Wormser Roadster. I really should have it cleaned & blocked because when I wear it in the rain it kind of smells like a wet dog
    Lol

years ago, in my first real trip, I went to Chicago. There I saw a shop that I absolutely knew I had to go in. Dan's Hat Shop. I bought a grey Fedora that matched my windbreaker that our pizza shop had made for the core employees. I was the manager at the time. I wore that hat for quite a while but it got sat on a few times too many. I'm pretty sure it got thrown away, which is probably blasphemy.

I wear a brimmed hat whenever I go outside to shade my eyes as much as possible. My main hat is a chocolate chip boonie hat that I bought at an army/navy surplus store in Myrtle Beach SC back in 1991 on my first trip to the condo my family had down there. I was there in April and already the sun was like something I've never experienced in New England and I had to get something to protect my head (and nose and ears). There were a couple close calls but The Hat is still with me over a quarter of a century later. In fact, it is in arm's reach at my computer desk which is kind of rare because it very seldom ever gets further than 10 feet from the kitchen door where I keep it so it is available whenever I step outside day or night. I wear it at night to block overhead street lights which blanche out my night vision something awful.

It's cool to see so many people wearing hats! I had no idea. Most of the men I see simply wear baseball caps (and don't have the good manners to remove them when indoors).

So I ordered a Tino Wool Felt Trilby Fedora in Loden Green.

I think this one will go equally well with brown or black coats and jackets.

TFF Stage Crew

Very nice

I apologize for my wise ass remark- I've got what I consider to be an oddly shaped head and feel like a kid wearing grownup's clothes when I wear a hat!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I've got more hats than Van Camp's has beans
    As do I. I generally wear a mask as well. And dark glasses usually.