Thread: Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Having only been a member a short while, and being an awful guitarist at that, I want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful that you tolerate me here, and I'm thankful for all your wisdom and insight.

On a side note, does anyone have or know of an appropriate Thanksgiving song?

Re: Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Where are the pics of turkeys and pies?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Having only been a member a short while, and being an awful guitarist at that, I want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful that you tolerate me here, and I'm thankful for all your wisdom and insight.

On a side note, does anyone have or know of an appropriate Thanksgiving song?
    We do a lot more than tolerate you! We enjoy your presence here! Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hear that Arlo Guthrie has a song to fit the theme of this holiday! Another favorite is the WKRP clip of the Turkey Drop over Cincinnati. Nobody reports the hard hitting stories like Les!

Have a great day, guys. Off to work so save me some pie!

Hoping all have a blessed turkey day..

Thank you, Don. I'm thankful for the great community here, where egos are left at the door!

This evening I am going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving dinner. I decided to take advantage of the day off to get a bunch of stuff that needed doing around the house done.

My bed has suffered some split wood in the pedestal, so I pulled it apart, fastened the wood and re-assembled it.

I then put together my "photo studio" -- something I've put off for far too long. I still need to arrange things so I can play my guitars when I'm not shooting photographs. But here's a look at the setup "out of the box," and a first pic (taken with my phone, so not the greatest).

I need to press the backdrop muslin to remove the creases and arrange the lights better, but I couldn't resist taking one shot with my phone as a pat on the back.

Finally, my daughter asked me to bring sparkling water to dinner, so I went to the grocery store while it was still open. Found the water, and as I was cruising around, saw an Angus beef top round roast on sale for half off. I paid $5.96 for 2 pounds, collected some mushrooms, carrots, celery and small potatoes, brought them home and put them in my slow cooker. Added a little water, some Ranch dressing mix, brown gravy mix and Italian seasoning mix, and set it to cook for 8 hours. This is a tried-and-true recipe I have, called "Pot Roast To Die For." I'll be eating well for the next few days...

I'm having a great Thanksgiving! I hope everyone else is, too!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Met my kids, Mom, my siblings and their families at my sister's house outside of Nashville. I ate so much I shamed myself. But for the past five years, I've had no appetite at Xmas and T'giving, so this year, I skipped breakfast and saved it for the big spread. I'm waddling now, just waddling.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm pleasantly full, not in misery like I used to do when I was younger. Actually feel like going for a walk.

Happy late Thanksgiving guys!

Mrs. Gator and I just got home from a 5 day 1900 mile round trip bash to Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park.

Epic trip.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Happy late Thanksgiving guys!

Mrs. Gator and I just got home from a 5 day 1900 mile round trip bash to Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park.

Epic trip.

That's fantastic, CG! I spent over a month out there camping all over BBNP and Stillwell Ranch. Such incredible and diverse scenery. Glad y'all made it safely back.

The best I can say for thanksgiving is that it ended without as much family drama as it usually does. That's partially because fewer people come each time because the wife usually gets hammered and ruins the holiday. Fortunately she only started sneaking upstairs towards the end of the day...

spent yesterday in the studio with Charlie Karp We took a good song and made it a GREAT song. Can't wait to share it with you all - but I'm learning that you wait until the final mix...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

TFF Stage Crew

I'm having a great Thanksgiving! I hope everyone else is, too!
    Well, IMO, you’re already a great addition to this forum. But seeing you have a print of one of my favorite Dali paintings ever, “Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln” (Lol, awesome title), I’m doubly happy!

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Well, IMO, you’re already a great addition to this forum. But seeing you have a print of one of my favorite Dali paintings ever, “Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln” (Lol, awesome title), I’m doubly happy!
    Well PC, you've now endeared yourself to me. I'm a Knight of the Order of Salvador, courtesy the Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.

The print you see is signed by Eleanor Morse, who founded the museum with her husband Reynolds. It was issued to celebrate the acquisition of the masterpiece by the museum in 2005. It is among my favorites of Dalí's works, although I think The Hallucinogenic Toreador is perhaps my favorite. That, and his Basket of Bread.

Dalí used 156 different shades of white to paint this still life.

Okay, this is a guitar forum, so I'll stop hijacking subjects. Thanks again, PC!

Hijack away, OS. I love Dali. That's a piece I've never seen.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Hijack away, OS. I love Dali. That's a piece I've never seen.
    I was about ten years old when I first saw a Dalí. Up until then, art was mostly paintings of fruit and dead people. Then, I was waiting for a friend at his house and his parents had a coffee table book of Dalí paintings. All of sudden I was looking at elephants with giraffe legs, melting clocks and barren landscapes with odd characters. I was hooked!

another Dali fan here. If I knew they had those medallions when I visited the St Petersburg Dali Museum, I would have gone for it. I did, however, through total serendipity, happen to go on a Thursday evening and got a curated tour, the only day and time of the week they do that. Plus a free movie and cookies and juices. The movie was "City Of Lost Children" with Ron Perlman and it was a perfect surrealistic fit.

The Hallucinogenic Toreador has long been one of my favorite paintings and to behold the original in its majestic 14 feet of canvas was practically a life changing moment. I had NO idea that anybody ever painted a canvas frame that large. The guide told how he had a loft in Brooklyn and cut a hole in the floor and set up a rig of pulleys so he could stand normally and raise and lower the towering canvas to work on details wherever and whenever he saw fit. That just blew my fragile child eggshell mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    another Dali fan here. If I knew they had those medallions when I visited the St Petersburg Dali Museum, I would have gone for it. I did, however, through total serendipity, happen to go on a Thursday evening and got a curated tour, the only day and time of the week they do that. Plus a free movie and cookies and juices. The movie was "City Of Lost Children" with Ron Perlman and it was a perfect surrealistic fit.

The Hallucinogenic Toreador has long been one of my favorite paintings and to behold the original in its majestic 14 feet of canvas was practically a life changing moment. I had NO idea that anybody ever painted a canvas frame that large. The guide told how he had a loft in Brooklyn and cut a hole in the floor and set up a rig of pulleys so he could stand normally and raise and lower the towering canvas to work on details wherever and whenever he saw fit. That just blew my fragile child eggshell mind.

Just to be clear, you can't just "get" a medallion. You must be invested as a Knight in the Order of Salvador, which is by invitation only. I've been a long-time member and supporter of the museum, and it was only after nearly 20 years that they bestowed upon me that recognition. Here I am on the night of my investiture.

that must be the new museum, they've moved since my visit circa '99, IIRC

that's really cool. wish i could go see the new digs.

that must be the new museum, they've moved since my visit circa '99, IIRC

that's really cool. wish i could go see the new digs.
    It certainly is! For years, the Dalí collection was housed in a building on water's edge in St. Petersburg. The owners and directors always feared hurricanes and other disasters because the building was not "hurricane-proof." For years, a fund-raising dinner and other events were held to stockpile the money needed to build a new museum. "SURrealize the Dream" was the theme.

On January 11, 2011, the dream was realized, and seven years later, the Dalí Museum has become the most-visited site in St. Pete. It's quite the place! And no damage done with the recent hurricanes!

do they still do a curated tour? Our guide totally made the experience a most interesting one.

do they still do a curated tour? Our guide totally made the experience a most interesting one.
    Yes, they do. They have also added an audio self-guided tour. In fact, the tour is available as an app on the iPhone store (sorry, can't say if there's an Android version). Search for "Dali Museum Virtual Tour." It's free.

The museum's web site itself is worth a visit.
    http://thedali.org/

thanks. I was hard pressed to decide whether to bookmark that to Entertainment or Education

why not both

TFF Stage Crew

OMG, all of this is awesome. I've been to the old museum probably five times over the years, but have not made it to the new location yet and now, after seeing your pics, cannot wait until I'm back in FL next summer. Hallucinogenic Toreador is a favorite of mine as well, although my top favorite is "The Ghost of Vermeer of Delft Which Can Be Used As a Table." I have prints of all three mentioned, as well as "Oeufs sur le Plat sans le Plat," although all are in need of re-framing and not hanging at the moment.

Went to visit a buddy in Clearwater on spring break back in '87, and he took me to the Dali museum for the first time. Been a huge fan ever since.

Now we got some culture goin' in this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    OMG, all of this is awesome. I've been to the old museum probably five times over the years, but have not made it to the new location yet and now, after seeing your pics, cannot wait until I'm back in FL next summer. Hallucinogenic Toreador is a favorite of mine as well, although my top favorite is "The Ghost of Vermeer of Delft Which Can Be Used As a Table." I have prints of all three mentioned, as well as "Oeufs sur le Plat sans le Plat," although all are in need of re-framing and not hanging at the moment.

Went to visit a buddy in Clearwater on spring break back in '87, and he took me to the Dali museum for the first time. Been a huge fan ever since.

Now we got some culture goin' in this forum!
    I am one of what are known as "Keepers of the Collection." I just sent a check to the museum for restoration work on "Oeufs sur le Plat sans le Plat!"

TFF Stage Crew

I am one of what are known as "Keepers of the Collection." I just sent a check to the museum for restoration work on "Oeufs sur le Plat sans le Plat!"
    Then an additional thank-you to you! That is so great!

Forum Member

I hope everyone had a happy! I was banished to the outer reaches for a couple of weeks by a server denial. Mr Slub got that corrected for me last night. I was on the Southern States Section of the Ren and the Renettes©℞®™ "Down the Sewer Whirled Tewer ®℃Ω" anyway. Lewsian, Sippy then Hotlanta for Thanksgiving. Bama and Marshall Tejas after.