Thread: Yamaha THR10 reviews

Forum Member

Yamaha THR10 reviews

Hey guys!

Looking at the Yamaha THR10 as a practice amp. Not looking to gig with it. Love the small size and video reviews online. Had the Boss Katana 50 and the Blackstar ID core 20 as alternatives, but the katana is too BIG, wattwise and sizewise, for my needs.

Asking players who've used the THR10, kindly review the amp in terms of tone( primarily cleans), durability, noise etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Re: Yamaha THR10 reviews

I tried the regular and classic versions of the THR10 and really liked them! The Classic version was lower gain and the amp responded nicely to the guitar's volume controls- like and old amp, though I preferred the regular versions amp choices.

I have a small weekly jam session where one would work nicely. I use a tweed Champ clone with an overdrive pedal for that jam and it works well, plus I'm in a situation where I can practice at home with any of my full size amps (and I'm a tube amp junky!), so I haven't seriously considered spending the money on the Yamaha.

As long as you're not looking for tube-tones, I think you'll like it. I have used both versions ( I have the THR10X currently) and they are great. I like that the sound integrity isn't compromised at lower volumes... all the way down to REALLY low volume. They take pedals VERY well too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if something happened to the one I've got.

Now you've gone and done it -- ramped up my GAS again!

I knew nothing about this amp, so I went to Sweetwater where I spec'd it out and read nothing but five-star reviews. OK, so that's not a personal experience, but I like this enough to put on my wishlist. It's small enough to hide away in my living room, giving me the option to sit on my sofa and noodle away, so that I don't have to go to my "studio" to practice!

I have one of the original Pignose Legendary 7-100 5-watt amps. It's pretty nice, but not very "clean." That's why it's legendary -- crank it up and it distorts like a beast!

When you say "practice" are you referring to band rehearsals or to just practicing at home?

If for home I'd suggests you get something with a line out or headphone jack so you can use it to record. Some of the newer fun little amps have inputs also for jamming along with recordings. This allows practice in context which is essential to develop ear training for dynamics and tempo. Headphones are awesome for practicing too, unless you're still perfecting your rock moves.

IMHO, the BEST way to practice is to buy recording software, use a modeler and start laying down tracks to what you want to play. When you hear it played back as the audience will, it will usually sound entirely different that what you thought it would. Then, once you start hearing the playback, you'll start to listen differently as you play. Your improvement rate will increase greatly. You'll also get extreme versatility as you can switch between a clean tweed and a variac'ed Plexi with the channels jumpered.

On the other hand, it you just want to jam out and make some noise I love a Tiny Terror, although they are a bit on the loud side.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

This thread got me researching, and I found the Line 6 AMPLIFI 30 amp, which is a "lunchbox"-sized tabletop amp.

What floats my boat on this one:

Size: 8.3"x10.5"x5" - 5 lbs. vs. 7.22"x14.17"x5.51" - 6.17 lbs.
    Output: 30W vs. 10W
    Speakers: 4x2.5" vs. 2x3"
    Effects: 200 amp, cabinet, stompboxes, and studio effects vs. 8 amp, clean, bass & flat modes, 4 modulation effects and 4 independent reverb/delay effects
    USB: 1, Type B
    Controls: iOS/Android app vs. knob (can be edited)
    Channels 4 onboard (unlimited via app) vs. 1

On the other hand, the THR-10 can run on batteries (which isn't that important to me). The AMPLIFI allows the use of a pedalboard.

On another forum, a poster said, "[I]f you're not going to be doing much tweaking and you just want something you can plug into quickly, tweak a few knobs, I'd say get the THR. If you want a really wide range of tones, would use it as a loud portable speaker a lot, and and don't mind messing with the phone app, go with the Amplifi." That might be the deciding factor.

Either way, it looks like I'm going to be spending some money soon...