Thread: Reading the Dead

Reading the Dead

Just finished Dennis McNally's A long strange trip.

...and picked up Rock Scully's and David Dalton's Living with the dead, which I'm finding even more fun.

I love reading about the Grateful Dead and especially like "band on the road" reads.

It's so soothing and relaxing to let go of the guitar after a couple hours of studies, pick up the e-reader and a mug of coffee or a glass of wine and hit the couch, read some 20 pages before going to bed...

Re: Reading the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Just finished Dennis McNally's A long strange trip.

...and picked up Rock Scully's and David Dalton's Living with the dead, which I'm finding even more fun.

I love reading about the Grateful Dead and especially like "band on the road" reads.

You know what they said at a Grateful Dead concert after the drugs wore off?

"Hey, this music sucks!"

I've seen the Dead live and believe me, you ain't missed much. What's funny about the Dead is the only two songs they had that got major airplay and became popular where the two most "undead-like" songs they ever did. Once you've been subjected to a 20 minute version of Ramble on Rose complete with out-of-tune instruments and singers, you'll be grabbing for the dutchie too. I've also seen The Jerry Garcia Band and that's a lot easer on the ears. JG was a great player in the right environment, and I always preferred his pedal steel to his guitar.

Still, they were an interesting cast of characters and fun to read about. Personally I'd rather Willie open up about his life on the road. Now that would be an interesting read!!!!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm yet to find out one single thing we both like and agree, Chuck

In due time, ater we chat a bit more (I'm still a new guy here compared to you and others) you'll find out that the unperfect, free and sloppy style of playing/gigging is something I actually enjoy. It's human and warm. That's what I like about Led Zep, the Dead and many others...

Believe me, I am a late born (late 70s), nevertheless authentic Dead Head. I've watched and listened to GD's most every record and bootleg there is, and I like almost every one of them... That's me.

Now I'm going to REALLY poke you out of your OCD :

I LOVE to listen to Monterey Pop Festival! All of it.

TFF Stage Crew

In the words of Bill Graham, “They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do.” Probably my favorite band of all time. I think I've read all those books & enjoyed them. Another great read but not quite as "fun" is Jerry's biography, Dark Star by Robert Greenfield. Indeed, it is dark when it comes to chronicling Jerry's heroin addiction.

I count Jerry Garcia among my guitar influences. Back when all I had was acoustic guitar, and I played sans pick, I worked at using my fingernail and thumb to attack the string, emulating Garcia's ringing sound. I always liked that.

I like a few of their songs, and I know I ought to like The Dead, but I just can't get into them. Lardy knows my best friends like 'em and have tried to teach me to appreciate them. I understand why folks like them, and I say, If you like them, then enjoy them as much as you can. We like what we like.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I spent a goodly portion of the '80s influenced by Jerry Garcia (and Mark Knopfler). I put a lot of time into clean playing and finger picking. Which is strange when you consider how much stuff I like to listen to is anything but that (Sabbath, BOC, Zep, Deep Purple=Ritchie era, Aerosmith, Stones, Jeff Beck, ABB)