Thread: Sunday before Thanksgiving coffee and appreciation thread

Sunday before Thanksgiving coffee and appreciation thread

Good morning all,

wet and surprisingly mild morning, supposed to turn windy and much cooler when it clears in the next couple of hours. Once again I'm under the gun to get my lights up before Thursday, I must thrive on my martyrdom

I was having fun this week with my iTunes collection and playing along with the UMC404HD interface and listening via headphones. I'm getting surprisingly good sound and it seems like I'm hearing it via an amp instead of a DAW. Oh, I forgot to mention something I found out this week. I was purchasing some charger cables at the Apple store this week and as an aside when they asked if there was anything else mentioned that I was having problems with my interface and GarageBand not playing nice together. My rep didn't have hands-on experience in the audio realm but she knew a couple of the guys working there did. She got one to come over and I told him what was happening. He asked if I were using USB or the wall wart to power the interface. That's when the light bulb moment happened. In theory the USB ought to be enough. Well, it sort of is in that it does function, to a point. He suggested trying the wall wart and dang if it didn't make a difference. It isn't huge but it was enough to give a larger amount of headroom. Unfortunately other things interfered the last couple of nights so I'm looking forward to trying it some more.

Listening to Beatles' Home Tapes, something they did on John's 4-track Ampex machine when they came back from India back in 1968. Pretty cool to hear songs that are well known from the White Album before they were immortalized.

Got to do some shopping for supplies for the holiday gathering, along with everybody else in town, I bet.

Re: Sunday before Thanksgiving coffee and appreciation thread

Big ice storm here yesterday. As I was heading out last night to catch an AC/DC tribute band last night, I did a triple gainer off my concrete front steps, cracked my noggin on the iron work railings and landed on the sidewalk about 5’ below. Took a minute or two to get back up! All is good no concussion, nothing a little Jack Daniels couldn’t fix! A little sore this morning. Band was great though and did a big tribute to Malcolm Young....

A truly enjoyable Sunday morning. My church had a "breakfast service," sort of a pre-Advent affair. Following breakfast, service was an interchange between our pastor and his college roommate, recording artist Mark Cable. I had the opportunity to speak with Mark, who has released some 22 CDs, and makes a living traveling and playing his guitar (Taylor acoustics -- nice ones!). He followed the service with a mini-concert for anyone present. A thoroughly enjoyable time!

Spent lunch having my favorite meal, then home to do some reading. And playing. I've been revisiting David Crosby's stuff, mostly his solo work, but also things he wrote that were recorded by Jefferson Airplane, CSN&Y and so on. I really like some of the D tunings, and may tune one of my guitars that way so I don't have to fuss around. Isn't that one of the justifications for having multiple guitars?

Spent the day recovering from our Association's annual Convention. We set up Thursday night and it's pretty-much non-stop until Saturday afternoon. I got home around 3 - was asleep by 5 and woke up this morning around 8. I finally got dressed around 2 and have yet to put on a pair of shoes - mostly because my feet are so swollen from all the walking I did in dress shoes this weekend... I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, though I love the work. I see lots of peolpe I know and lined up a lot of work for this Winter.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

We just got in the door from the funeral of my oldest friend's mother (and one of my mother's best friends). I've been around his family for 68 years so it is sad to see an era (for me) come to an end. My wife and I took my mother (age 98) to the funeral home so she could say her "good byes" to her old friend.