Thread: Wine

Wine

Is anyone here particularly into wine?

I'm sure Willie has had his tasting experiences, having lived in Europe for a while.

Anyone else?

I always drank red wine and Champagne, the Portuguese Trincadeira and Touriga Nacional being my favorites along with Bordeaux rouges.

Spent quite a while drinking onlyh beer and Bourbon whiskey, and now I'm feeling like I'm gonna rediscover wine. I had forgotten how a bottle of red wine can be the most perfect and soothing companion for a guitar in a lonely or chilling night.

I'm starting with some California Zinfandels and Cabernets.

Tips? Experiences? Why not show your collection, if you do collect wines? Any Californian indications?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Wine

The only wine I touch is my autographed Robin Trower CS Stratocaster in Midnight Wine Burst.

I used to be and in fact my father was a backyard bottler of beer and wine many years ago but I have to admit that I actually thought that this thread was going to be about April Wine so I'm leaving here without any pertinent input lol.

I can't smell wine without feeling sick.... ever since 1972 when I drank a magnum of Andre Pink Champagne followed by a large bottle of Boone's Farm Wild Mountain...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I can't smell wine without feeling sick.... ever since 1972 when I drank a magnum of Andre Pink Champagne followed by a large bottle of Boone's Farm Wild Mountain...
    Oh no! I believe that you and I would have most certainly hung out at parties lol. Been there but my recollection is warm Asti Spumante and Bartles & Jaymes... although I had plenty of Boone's ( strawberry?). I couldn't ingest any of that these days, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Is anyone here particularly into wine?

I'm sure Willie has had his tasting experiences, having lived in Europe for a while.
    Anyone else?
    I always drank red wine and Champagne, the Portuguese Trincadeira and Touriga Nacional being my favorites along with Bordeaux rouges.
    Spent quite a while drinking onlyh beer and Bourbon whiskey, and now I'm feeling like I'm gonna rediscover wine. I had forgotten how a bottle of red wine can be the most perfect and soothing companion for a guitar in a lonely or chilling night.
    I'm starting with some California Zinfandels and Cabernets.
    Tips? Experiences? Why not show your collection, if you do collect wines? Any Californian indications?

Thanks in advance!
    For red wines, I enjoy a good Cabernet Sauvignon with a steak or prime rib and a bottle of Chianti with a pizza. My wife and I used to drink Bordeaux wines but kind of drifted away from them when we started enjoying the Cabernets.

As for champagne, it has been a tradition with my wife and I to share a bottle of Dom Pérignon on Christmas Eve or a bottle of Freixenet cava for our Sunday breakfast whenever we do the Key West Poker Run on our Harley. We have enjoyed both of these traditions for more than twenty years.

Laker, you and I have similar tastes.

My favorite wine is Cabernet Sauvignon. I like Bordeaux if it's a real Bordeaux. I have an older friend who goes to France with me on the study abroad trips, and he's taught me a bit about wine; he told me that when you're unsure of the quality of the wine being offered, it's safer to go Bordeaux, and he's right.

Here stateside, I rarely drink real champagne, so I drink Freixenet--have a bottle in the fridge right now. Think I'll buy a second bottle and have a bit of a drink on tonight...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My house is surrounded by vineyards and wineries. Constellation Brands' world headquarters is about a 3 miles away. For me a good day is to jump in the car, get both turbo's spooled and drive through winding mountain roads and wineries to Watkins Glen. Watch a race, hang out with friends, and then hit a couple of wineries on the way home.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

never really got much into wines but after my friend married a woman from Madrid, I got to drinking it with dinner when I ate at their house. For some reason Cabernet Sauvignon just stuck with me and is now my favorite to my albeit uneducated palette.

Now my sister's common-law husband (they've been together since 1974 and I consider him a brother in law) is a wine conniesewer if there ever was one. He has multiple spiral bound notebooks and you can bank on whatever he brings will be good, as in damn good. He'll be coming up next week for thanksgiving and this will be the first glass of wine I've had this year. As you can tell, not only can I not spell conniesewer but I barely drink

Australian Shiraz is the only wine I like. Any brand - Lindeman, Yellowtail, Wolf Blass, etc. I can make do with a Cab Sauv. Can’t even think about white wine. Yuck!