Thread: Sunday Thread Nov 12

Sunday Thread Nov 12

Good morning, everyone.

I'm slowly but surely getting back into playing music. I plan to spend time today on the keyboard; I've set my goal to writing an upbeat, optimistic pop song.

Otherwise, preparing Hamlet and The Cherry Orchard for my World Lit classes. Vacuuming, washing clothes, and cleaning the bathroom.

But I'm in an optimistic place, and all of this seems wonderful to me.

If I can get in in (said the Bishop to the Actress), I'm going to continue reading Tolstoy's War and Peace. I'm into about page 500 of 1300 pages. It's pure genius and a joy to read.

I wish you all a pleasant day.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday Thread Nov 12

Really glad that you're playing, Willie!

Hard day yesterday and really feeling it this morning but gotta wake up and make it through another day.

Off to the salt mines as they say... as people that work in salt mines must say, I'm guessing.

Have a great day, all.

we're getting previews of winter cold these last few days. One week ago I was wearing t-shirts and shorts while walking and feeling pretty warm. Wind chills in the teens the last couple days. Got the humidifiers cleaned and up and running. Now begins the shuffle of the water tanks.

Still waiting to hear from the electrician I've had no luck with the outlets myself. I have a voltage meter somewhere but it is in hiding.

Washed the towels I use for covering my mixer and Tascam as well as covering the card table and the 'rug' under the table legs so I can slide it without scuffing the floor or making horrible noises. I was listening to my iTunes on shuffle yesterday and it started on Blue Oyster Cult followed by Thin Lizzy. It really picked the right mood because I was getting into it while I was working. Then I picked up my tele and plugged into the Princeton NR and started playing along and before I knew it the time was 7 PM and I hadn't prepared dinner yet. Oops

Hey Willie - glad that you're in a good place today! Nothing wrong with taking a break to get re-inspired. Me, I haven't picked up the bass to practice and prep for gigs in a while, but I did get into a writing session with a good buddy last weekend. Change is as good as rest as they say.

Spent most of the day so far winterizing my property - put the motorcycles, bicycles and lawnmower to bed. Took the snowblower out of hibernation and started her up first pull! Got the winter tires staged and ready to go for mounting tomorrow. Lawn furniture put away and so on. Just have to bring a big pile of wall to wall carpet to the dump tomorrow - the detritus of a minor flood last week. My man cave is in a bit of a shambles at the moment, but it;s workable. Looking at some engineered hardwood to replace the carpet in the basement. The cork backed stuff looks like it'll work well for this application. Not cheap tho!

Might have to head back up to lake country tomorrow to stow the rest of my dock (after changing tires and going to the dump). All the wood/floating parts of the dock are pulled in and secured, but the aluminum frame is still in the water. It'll be fine as the lake freezes but the ice breakup in the spring can wreak havoc!

Sitting her right now with a coffee and some home baked coffee cake, surfing the web and updating the band's social media stuff.

My wife and I took the Harley out to breakfast this morning (around 35°F when we set out) and later this afternoon we plan on visiting a local pub to catch a great blues group called Reverend Raven and the Chain Smoking Alter Boys. The drummer in the group is the son of one of my best friends (now deceased) who was the most accomplished drummer I ever worked with. The son is also a fantastic drummer so it's proof the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

man, a band with a name like that has to be good

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    man, a band with a name like that has to be good
    I was trying to find something with my friend, Craig, playing drums with the Reverend but could only come up with this solo. The band was really kickin' some serious butt tonight.

Holy smokes, He's good! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    HPD, I wasn't lyin' when I said he was good, was I? You should have heard his father when we were playing together and he'd do drum solos in 5/4 time...it would really screw with the local's minds. The important thing here is father and sons (yes Craig's brother is also a very accomplished drummer) were/are absolutely super nice people.

Played my second gig as a single guitarist last Saturday night.

Place wasn't too crowded but it was fun. Too bad my GF couldn't come along this time, I love to look and smile at her while doing the rhythm parts, it always warms my soul.

Took the Sunday morning to eat a slow and lazy breakfast, drink a ton of coffee and drive back to town. As I got home, I cleaned Jessica (my black strat) and babied her a little before I went to GF's place for a movie on Netflix and more coffee together.

Slept a bit early and didn't catch TWD, though.

Wish you all a great week!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    HPD, I wasn't lyin' when I said he was good, was I? You should have heard his father when we were playing together and he'd do drum solos in 5/4 time...it would really screw with the local's minds. The important thing here is father and sons (yes Craig's brother is also a very accomplished drummer) were/are absolutely super nice people.
    No you were not! That's cool that they are such decent people too. I know plenty of talented musicians that mean nothing to me b/c of their superior attitudes and/ or lousy personalities. Really cool that you touched on that.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    And classically trained! Look at the way he holds the sticks.