Thread: Amp Cab Project

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

AX84 Amp Cab Project

Years ago I found plans for a 1x12" amp cabinet at ax84.com. I had a 12" vintage Jensen HiFi speaker that I was going to use, but around that time there was a clearance sale on a first gen Neodymium Celestion G12 Century Vintage speaker. I snatched one up. It was something like $75 before shipping, and since then the prices have skyrocketed.

So I built the cabinet. It sounds great, and now I still have not tested out that Jensen. I probably should just sell it on ebay or something. I can convert it to closed back or ported by changing out the bottom cutout plate on the back that I'll make later. It's going to be attached with wing nuts and "hanger bolts".

But, due to some aesthetic mistakes in the construction I left it unfinished for about two years. Two weeks ago I dragged it out of storage and changed my aesthetic design vison. Today I have a finished cab.

Using this cab has been such an epiphany. Suddenly, I'm realizing that pretty much all of my combo amps sound just fine and anything they lack is mostly because of small speakers or just not enough volume in the cabinet. In closed back mode, it's got great low end for jazzy tones.

Pictures to come when I remember how to post them on this site.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c1eWAy75kKbv0itO2

Plans source:
    http://www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html
    Last edited by Jonnda; 11-06-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

Re: Amp Cab Project

I don't know if it is the larger size, or the mostly enclosed rear that gives your cab more bottom. I have built a few with an oval rear opening that seems to enhance the bass response.
    I enclosed the rear of a little Lead 12, that got a large boost, even using the stock speaker!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I don't know if it is the larger size, or the mostly enclosed rear that gives your cab more bottom. I have built a few with an oval rear opening that seems to enhance the bass response.
    I enclosed the rear of a little Lead 12, that got a large boost, even using the stock speaker!
    Yeah, it probably depends a lot on the driver. That's cool that you figured that out. Cheap and easy mods loke that are great when they work.

Open back allows more low frequencies to cancel each other out when the wave off the fron meets the wave off the back of the driver. If you have a smaller opening, it may be acting as a port. Closed back means there is no interference from the sound coming off the back of the speaker, and there may be some low end extension, but the driver also has to work against the air inside the cab.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

Forum Member

Here is a cab I built for a practice amp, (I split it up). Really a lot of low end for a single 12, (Weber Thames).

is a weber thames their take on a pre-rola celestion?

Here is a cab I built for a practice amp, (I split it up). Really a lot of low end for a single 12, (Weber Thames).
    That's cool Bill, so that Bandit 112 was a combo originally?

Speaking of peavey, I used to hate on them, but I am now considering buying myself a Valve King MH20 for Christmas/birthday.

Forum Member

Weber says the Thames is supposed to compare with the grey frame Hiwatt Fane. I bought that speaker from a member who used to post here.
    I have a couple of Peavey practice amps, both Bandits, (Teal and Silver stripe), and keep them stashed at practice spaces. They can sound great! I gussied up the one shone, as it used to belong to a nephew, who is no longer with us.
    I also have a Peavey ValveKing 212 I took in trade for another deal. I've left it at an old friends house, (great guitar player), and he managed to get a pretty good country sound out of the gainy monster!

I've left it at an old friends house, (great guitar player), and he managed to get a pretty good country sound out of the gainy monster!
    Ha, yeah, I'm planning on trying to relearn jazz guitar with this cabinet and the 20 watt Valve King head. I read a few reviews pointing to it having a great clean tone, and one saying that with a lower gain preamp tube in the first slot (12ay7 or 12at7), he uses it for jazz. But if I want to crank the gain, it can do that do