Thread: Ibanez SRC-6 bass guitar

Ibanez SRC-6 bass guitar

I've had this one for a while now, but wanted to share anyway. This is quite the odd little instrument to be sure... a six-string bass tuned like a standard guitar [EADGBE] but just one octave lower. For a bass player, the B and E strings can be tuned to C and F if wanted. It comes with a 30" scale length, 24 med-fret rosewood finger-board, a bolt-on 5-piece jatoba/ bubinga neck, passive EMG 35HZ pickups, and EBQ IIID on-board EQ. It utilizes a 9vt battery but that's for the EQ, which itself lends a good deal of tonal capability to the guitar. You can play chords which is cool/ strange and with 10.8 mm string-spacing, the SRC-6 responds well to slaps and other more traditional bass playing techniques.The body is mahogany with a urethane-flat walnut finish. The 15.74" radius is very comfortable for a guy like me that is used to standard-guitars. Width at the nut is 1.625" which is actually narrower than a couple of my regular electric guitars interestingly enough. Hard-tail status comes compliments of the Ibanez Tight End bridge. The low-profile just adds to the comfort of this unique package. Anyway... not too much more to say about this thing but I really enjoy playing it from time to time whenever the feeling hits me. Only modification that I've done to it is to change the vol/ tone knobs to matching black-chrome knurled metal domes. This was done because without looking down, it was hard to distinguish the vol/ tone knobs from the bass/mid/treble knobs as they were all the same type and subsequent feel. Now I'm able to easily identify without looking, which knob I'm touching. I'm currently using a Souldier strap that feels great on this particular guitar and adds a little flash to the otherwise mundane aesthetics. Thanks a lot, y'all for taking a look.

Pictures:

Re: Ibanez SRC-6 bass guitar

Great bass!

My bassist likes 6-stringers too. His bass is considerably similar. I'll ask him for pics to share.

Forum Member

Nice! And 2 spare strings if'n you break one!

Ha! Yea... I don't hang around in the B/ high E neighborhood much lol.

I will also say as much as I enjoy playing this at times, that I've recently been looking at some Squire Jaguar's lately. Not sure if I may pick one up but I've had a wee bit of GAS lately.

I'm definitely intrigued by this guitar, would love to see one in the flesh

Oh yeah man, that looks like a load of fun!

Congrats and thanks for the gas.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm definitely intrigued by this guitar, would love to see one in the flesh
    I know I've said it before but it's extremely comfortable... scale length, neck profile and width, body shape/ profile, etc. I'd love to hear what you think if you're ever able to give one a go. Thanks for checking it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Oh yeah man, that looks like a load of fun!

Congrats and thanks for the gas.

It really is. If I was a gigging bassist, I doubt it'd be practical but otherwise, for laying down some bass backing tracks and just alleviating that funky groovy itch, it's a great deal of fun. Been looking lately at the Squire Jaguars too... speaking of gas lol. Thanks CG.

Forum Member

You must have HUGE hands! How big is that board?

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    You must have HUGE hands! How big is that board?
    Not at all. Width at the nut is 1.625". Same as many Telecasters, EBMM's, Hellraisers, Wolfgangs, Jackson Pros, etc.