Thread: Need help channel switching, 6G3 build

Forum Member

Need help channel switching, 6G3 build

Hi all, I could use ideas with a channel switch.
    I'm building a 6G3 circuit with a few changes. I've done a few things (see schematic):
    1. Reduced the number of inputs per channel to one per channel. Reduced stock 68K resistor shared by original two inputs per channel to 33K.
    2. Top channel is stock "bright." Bottom is a lead channel. Did this by separating the cathode jumper on the 12AX7 (7027 in schematic). Since I cut the jumper changed bypass resistor from 1.5K to 3K on bright channel; left 25uf/25V bypass cap in place. On the lead channel the bypass cap is .68uf in parallel with 2.7K resistor. That channel coupling cap is .0047, stock was .02.
    The two channels work great independently. Bright channel sounds right and the lead channel is a good change over the stock "normal" channel.
    HOWEVER I would like to install some type of channel switch which would allow me to toggle back and forth between the bright and lead channel in either input.
    How would I accomplish this under the hood?

Any ideas? Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/HBgKO
    Last edited by Diverted; 10-28-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Re: Need help channel switching, 6G3 build

Quote Originally Posted by Diverted View Post
    Hi all, I could use ideas with a channel switch.
    I'm building a 6G3 circuit with a few changes. I've done a few things (see schematic):
    1. Reduced the number of inputs per channel to one per channel. Reduced stock 68K resistor shared by original two inputs per channel to 33K.
    2. Top channel is stock "bright." Bottom is a lead channel. Did this by separating the cathode jumper on the 12AX7 (7027 in schematic). Since I cut the jumper changed bypass resistor from 1.5K to 3K on bright channel; left 25uf/25V bypass cap in place. On the lead channel the bypass cap is .68uf in parallel with 2.7K resistor. That channel coupling cap is .0047, stock was .02.
    The two channels work great independently. Bright channel sounds right and the lead channel is a good change over the stock "normal" channel.
    HOWEVER I would like to install some type of channel switch which would allow me to toggle back and forth between the bright and lead channel in either input.
    How would I accomplish this under the hood?

Any ideas? Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/HBgKO
    Sounds like a job for SPDT switch.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Re: Need help channel switching, 6G3 build

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Sounds like a job for SPDT switch.
    Thanks. About like this?
    https://imgur.com/a/MK9Ov
    Last edited by Diverted; 10-28-2017 at 05:23 PM.