Thread: Rusty screws

Rusty screws

I'm a bit disappointed.

I had left the SG in its case for a couple of weeks and as I picked it up for some fiddling around, I noticed rust on the pickguard and pup cover screws. Both, the black and the plain unpainted ones.

Ok, it's no big deal, I jammed and gigged with it this year, 3 times, in a seaside environment, but I take pretty good care of it and never even take it out of the case outside, only in air conditioned rooms and venues... AND, my Fender strats have been submitted to the very same treatment, venues and studios and no, not one bit of rust on them. I dare to say Fender uses much better hardware in their domestic production these days.

I put some WD40 on the screws, removed the rust with a cotton bud and applied some more WD40 for keeping oxide away...

Anyway I'm pissed. I hate rusty screws, they remind me of the Epiphones I used to own when I was a bedroom player. Those got all rusty after what, 2 months out of the box.

Re: Rusty screws

Dunno how well it would work for you but I always keep several fresh silica-packets in my hard-cases... even one's without guitars in them . I feel ya... I don't care for rusty screws either unless that level of "vintage" is part of the appeal of a particular guitar.

You might want to wipe the guitar down after playing (if you don't already) and as well as putting a pack of desiccant in the case.

To prove I have no idea what I'm talking about, would applying a little Naval Jelly to the screws help? Or could that damage the finish?

Forum Member

You put jelly in your navel? GROSS!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    To prove I have no idea what I'm talking about, would applying a little Naval Jelly to the screws help? Or could that damage the finish?

I wouldnt get naval jelly jelly anywhere near a guitar.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You might want to wipe the guitar down after playing (if you don't already) and as well as putting a pack of desiccant in the case.
    I do, I wipe them everytime I play.

About the desiccant, I just did that.

The WD40 worked just fine, the screws are shiny again. I applied it carefully not to let it reach the wood.

Rust Never Sleeps.

You should see my guitars, LOL!

Trust me, nobody in the audience will care.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim