Thread: New Case Day: Pro Series Tweed

New Case Day: Pro Series Tweed

As I mentioned in the gear acquisitions thread, I ordered a Pro Series Tweed case for Jessica (my Am Std Strat).

She came in the 2013 SKB molded case, which I do like and will keep for gigs and longer road trips.
    It's a very good case but I've always felt that an American Stratocaster deserves a classier case.

Here it is:

My review:

- The case is light, about the same weight as the SKB.

- The strat fits PERFECTLY, doesn't have the slightest gap. The neck sits tight and the guitar doesn't move around when you carry the case. Even the SKB has a minimum gap. This one has a perfect fit.

- The overall quality isn't the same as in an older G&G tweeder, the ones I've held before felt better, especially the plastic handle, the latches and the leather parts, which feel a bit cheap. But people say that the newer G&Gs are just the same, though I can't tell, never had one of the new ones in my hands.

In a sum, I'm satisfied. It is a "modern classic" case for a "modern classic" guitar. It's classy enough.

Forum Member

Re: New Case Day: Pro Series Tweed

Very nice! I like those.

HNCD!

I need to buy a few but it just keeps being pushed to the bottom of the available cash list.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I think that Jessica has a nicer bed than I do! That's a beautiful case, Sergio. Glad that it's a keeper.

Lovely, stately, and it's worthy of your Strat.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    HNCD!

I need to buy a few but it just keeps being pushed to the bottom of the available cash list.
    yeah, same here. I almost bit on Stratosphere's 69 dollar case sale a few weeks back. But there's 20 dollar shipping so it would really be an 89 dollar case. Still a good price but I don't have a strat at the moment. I'd like to have a couple cases, as I think it makes it easier to sell a guitar if you have one. That's the problem when you build a guitar. People are funny. I can offer to buy a case for a guitar if it doesn't have one and nobody ever takes me up on it. But if I build the price of the case into the price of the guitar, they will buy it.

One more thing:

though this case embraces the guitar in a perfect fit on the sides, up and down, I noticed (and read that this is actually common in tweed/tolex cases, both G&G and Fender)that when you carry the case, there is indeed a gap that makes it move a bit forward and downward, because there's no tight padding on the front (on the strings).

I also read that many people keep a folded towel or polishing cloth on the strings inside to cushion and tighten the fit.

Do you guys need to do that? I did and it's ok now.

when I had a case for my strat, I rarely actually carried it in there. It was more for long term storage or shipping. I'd put bubble wrap inside the case to make sure the guitar was nice and snug. I used gig bags when carrying the guitar to a friend's house to jam.

Forum Member

There are very few "perfect fit" aftermarket cases out there IM(recent)O. I have several TKL's that perfectly fit LP Jr. and Special guitars and some regular TKL's which fit regular LPs well, but that is about it. Fortunately MOST of my guitars came with a case which fits well. It's just the dive into aftermarket which disappoints me. Wish I could still get these:

Old Pro Form cases. I got this from Reverb a while back for $250. I don't think the music store knew what they had...

that wraptail custom slays me

wait, it's not a custom? whatizit?

renderit, I am amazed over and over with the beautiful guitars in your harem.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    that wraptail custom slays me

wait, it's not a custom? whatizit?
    A Historic Select 55. The Black Widow. Here is the stinger and back. In 2015 the HS's were all True Historic Spec but custom order. I had bought the first 54 HS and the first 56 HS so I had them build this one to my spec so I had all 54-56. It has a story behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    renderit, I am amazed over and over with the beautiful guitars in your harem.
    Thank you sir! I wish you were closer to join in on the fun. They all play well and I'm getting them each as perfect as possible. I rotate what I am playing day to day so I don't just collect. But I have spent many times over what I should have so I have slowed WAY down. As in: effectively stopped. But it has been very fun to do it and hopefully I will be able to keep most of them for a long time to come. I have a few I am going to sell, but only a few that I promised my wife I would in order to get the last few in the door.

SMOKING HOT!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?