Thread: Gibson Is Selling Its Memphis Factoryj

Gibson Is Selling Its Memphis Factoryj

http://www.musicradar.com/news/gibso...emphis-factory

I wonder where they'll go. They're still going to be in Memphis 18-24 months. Big questions are who will buy the Memphis factory, and will they be a guitar company.
    Last edited by ch willie; 10-23-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Gibson Is Selling Its Memphis Factoryj

didn't they shutter another factory or two before opening that memphis one?

Wow, does this mean people aren't willing to pay thousands for a CNC'ed plywood guitar anymore? Who'd a thunk it!

I will miss the factory though. You can walk over there from Beale Street, about a block west, and go to the factory showroom store. They always have some really nice guitars in there and you can play them.

Hopefully, they'll shut down the mass production plywood stuff and devote a new facility to crafted guitars. The high-end market is strong and one would suspect a high-margin endeavor too.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Actually... If Gibson goes out of business, I won't lose a second of sleep over it... Henry Juszkiewicz is a complete jerk-off...
    I have a friend who worked for Gibson Nashville. Henry's son is starting to take over. A few weeks ago, he called my friend and her boss in to see him on a Friday afternoon, told them he was shuffling things around, and even though they hadn't done anything wrong, fired them on the spot, no warning.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Wow, does this mean people aren't willing to pay thousands for a CNC'ed plywood guitar anymore? Who'd a thunk it!

Hopefully, they'll shut down the mass production plywood stuff and devote a new facility to crafted guitars. The high-end market is strong and one would suspect a high-margin endeavor too.
    100% this ^^^. And screw Henry too.

As much as I absolutely love my 2017 SG, I've never seen a fret-board on a brand new guitar, in such bad shape. After only having it for a day, I had to strip the strings off and completely refinish that board. Had to fix a few finishing flaws as well around the tail-piece anchors. Back of the matte-finish head-stock still has some glossy blemishes too. I love the guitar and have no plans to ever sell it but I've never had an instrument that looked like it was so rushed through QC.

And I'm not even talking about cracked head-stocks and chipped finishes on $2600 and $4800 LP's.

Even though I just received a new ES-335 that was built in Memphis, I have to agree with some of these sentiments. In most respects, it's the most nicely built Gibson I've seen, except one issue that may be a deal breaker- the sanding or buffing marks from the polishing process are quite noticeable. I don't recall seeing these on the early 2000s ES-135, Les Paul Junior and Gary Moore Les Paul or 1993 Les Paul Studio that I used to own.

This bothers me on a guitar that I paid $1800 for- maybe enough to return it (or sell it to someone who doesn't mind). Can you imagine if I paid the list price of $3649 or the typical street price of $3400 new?

Maybe I'm too fussy- I've seen a brand new $50k GMC Yukon with a much worse paint job!

I'm going to look at some other recent Gibsons in see if it's a trend.

If so, I might look at a Heritage H535.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Even though I just received a new ES-335 that was built in Memphis, I have to agree with some of these sentiments. In most respects, it's the most nicely built Gibson I've seen, except one issue that may be a deal breaker- the sanding or buffing marks from the polishing process are quite noticeable. I don't recall seeing these on the early 2000s ES-135, Les Paul Junior and Gary Moore Les Paul or 1993 Les Paul Studio that I used to own.

This bothers me on a guitar that I paid $1800 for- maybe enough to return it (or sell it to someone who doesn't mind). Can you imagine if I paid the list price of $3649 or the typical street price of $3400 new?

Maybe I'm too fussy- I've seen a brand new $50k GMC Yukon with a much worse paint job!

That's a real shame, Don. I hope whatever route you decide to go, that you're able to find resolve. Sorry to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    That's a real shame, Don. I hope whatever route you decide to go, that you're able to find resolve. Sorry to hear this.
    Don't feel bad. It's all good! Between this being an otherwise nice guitar, their 30 day return policy and the fact that I might even be able to sell the guitar for more than I paid for it, I'm sure it'll be fine. I just brought this up because it supports other people's feelings about the state of Gibson.

Don't feel bad. It's all good! Between this being an otherwise nice guitar, their 30 day return policy and the fact that I might even be able to sell the guitar for more than I paid for it, I'm sure it'll be fine. I just brought this up because it supports other people's feelings about the state of Gibson.
    Gotcha. Very positive way to handle things! Well post it if you keep it and if you don't, then I'm sure this group can help steer you towards something else haha.

IMHO, I wouldn't return or sell a guitar because of that...

I dare to say that virtually any guitar at any price/quality range will have something crooked if you look closely enough.

Over the years, QC has varied widely, and there are guitars with very few minor flaws and ones with more apparent ones... I can't judge without being able to see yours, but for instance, Fenders with crooked screwholes or lumps underneath the paintjob have always been a consistent fact.

If you read lots of guitar forums, you'll probably see MANY people bashing on Gibson's finishes all the time...

Me? I don't really mind these particular individual details. It's part of the guitar's character. Just liie we have skin signals, tattoos and scars... My favorite guitar has 3 slightly crooked screws, the pickguard doesn't quite "sit" perfectly ok, but I never cared.

I always say: it's a guitar, not a Fabergé egg. If it looks good from an arm's distance and plays good, then it's perfect enough. Do you love it? Keep it and forgive the minor defects, just like you do with women.

My 0.02 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    IMHO, I wouldn't return or sell a guitar because of that...

I dare to say that virtually any guitar at any price/quality range will have something crooked if you look closely enough.

Over the years, QC has varied widely, and there are guitars with very few minor flaws and ones with more apparent ones... I can't judge without being able to see yours, but for instance, Fenders with crooked screwholes or lumps underneath the paintjob have always been a consistent fact.

If you read lots of guitar forums, you'll probably see MANY people bashing on Gibson's finishes all the time...

Me? I don't really mind these particular individual details. It's part of the guitar's character. Just liie we have skin signals, tattoos and scars... My favorite guitar has 3 slightly crooked screws, the pickguard doesn't quite "sit" perfectly ok, but I never cared.

I always say: it's a guitar, not a Fabergé egg. If it looks good from an arm's distance and plays good, then it's perfect enough. Do you love it? Keep it and forgive the minor defects, just like you do with women.

My 0.02 cents...
    Thanks. Unfortunately, a guitar at this level kind of is like a Faberge egg to some of us. I've wanted a red ES-335 for over 30 years. If it was some minor handcrafted details it'd be fine. It's kind of an overall thing. It might be fine- I can't even get it to show in photographs yet. I really haven't decided yet.

I posted about the guitar's finish on my new guitar thread so we can keep this thread to the Memphis facility discussion.

Couple of points of clarification:

First, the SG's are not built at the Memphis plant. My own experience is that LPs today are pretty damned nice and consistency so.

Second, Henry isn't a jack-off. Henry is a nice guy who used to hang out with us at the HOG in Irondequoit, NY., worked hard and did well for himself and decided to buy his favorite guitar company. When he took over Gibson, they were a failing guitar company known for bad quality. If it wasn't for Henry and his love of guitars, (yes, he is guitar player and fanatic) there probably wouldn't be any Gibson today.

Do I agree with everything he's done? No, but I respect the guy for who he is and at least trying to bring some innovation and keeping the brand going. Because he's a guitar guy and he gets it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I can't say anything about Henry or his policies, I'm not entitled to do so.

But as for Gibson's QC, I respectfully insist: no matter which plant the guitars come out of, if you look hard enough you will find slight blems. I've seen my share myself and if you google Gibson Memphis Quality Issues you'll find a lot of people whining...

Starting with this:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...ES335-Wildwood

Anyway, like I said: these are wooden musical instruments, not jewels. The minor offsets are there and add character, if you like the guitar you like it. If you don't, buy another one.

Heritage is the better guitar IMHO. They're flawless examples of crafted guitars.

Les Pauls are great, I play the heck out of mine but it's not near the quality of a Heritage. My only gripe with Gibson is that for a price of a Traditional Standard you can have Heritage or a maybe a Stohl and let's be real, these are much better instruments and the customer service will be world-class.

Having said all that, there's still that magical mojo moment you get when you push the the throttles up on a LP in big venue with the sound system pushing out all that gigunda bottom and you feel the room shaking - and the top still cuts. No other guitar can do that. That's what make them special.

Chuck