Thread: Opening Acts

Opening Acts

We've been struggling with opening acts for a while now. Anybody else having issues? Last couple of big shows we've done we've had terrible opening acts. Last night we had another one. Some solo guitar dude, telling his life story between songs, which is synonymous with totally sucking the air out of the room. And the guy went long. Then he took 30 minutes to clear the stage. By the time he was done it was 9:30 and we still needed to set up a six-piece. Guys did a great job and we were playing by 10, but it took half the first set to put some energy back in the room.

Club owner apologized but I think I'm going to start being a bit more of and SOB when it comes to opening acts. It will be clear to the venue owners that we play from time A to B, and if you choose to put up an opener and they go long - we still end at B or we tack on an extra $300. I'm done getting home at 3AM because of a bad opener. I figure most of the openers are poorly paid, (if at all!) and once the venues see that it's a bad value to let them run over the issue will stop. If a club gets their panties in a bunch, we don't need them. We're already turning down a lot of work.

I don't mind at all letting up and coming bands or artists get a chance to showcase, but lately they are either disrespectful or maybe just are so clueless they don't get it. Since the offenders are usually millennials I'm pretty much going with option 1.

Anybody else having similar experiences?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Opening Acts

We don't have that problem because we do exactly as you said. We arrange a definite time to enter the stage with the club managers. If the openers don't leave on time, we play less.

Is it possible for you to pick an opening act who goes with you to all of your double-bill gigs? That way, you could lay down the law.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Is it possible for you to pick an opening act who goes with you to all of your double-bill gigs? That way, you could lay down the law.
    Willie, it doesn't really work like that. It's the venue's choice and they do it thinking the opening act band will bring in wives, girlfriends, and friends to fill the place early, make it look like it's hopping and get more ring at the registers.

A good opener is a great thing to have. Bad ones, not-so-much.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

We had Joe Louis Walker at the venue I work with last week, the manager had his band open, because its easier on his budget. They did a fine job, and usually he works other "better" locals into the venue. It isn't a big paying gig to do as an opener, but its a great chance to play a cool little room, get your food covered maybe a couple of drinks, a chance to showcase your band and rub elbows with some of the touring acts.

That said - the venue should be smart about what type of band, and the level of talent. Otherwise, its their own credibility and possibly a reflection on the main act.

as the main act - you usually aren't involved with that part of the process, although I have seen several who clearly state in their rider - exclusive show - no opening act.

All of that said - it was a great show - it really was!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Willie, it doesn't really work like that. It's the venue's choice and they do it thinking the opening act band will bring in wives, girlfriends, and friends to fill the place early, make it look like it's hopping and get more ring at the registers.

A good opener is a great thing to have. Bad ones, not-so-much.

Chuck
    I'm used to this small town area where bands often decide who's going to open. It's not always a good thing--they effectively freeze-out new bands.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'm used to this small town area where bands often decide who's going to open. It's not always a good thing--they effectively freeze-out new bands.
    He he, that's a really easy paradigm to break in a small town if you have a better band then they do. New bands starting out have to pay dues for sure, but if they have the goods it's really easy to break in.

Simple - rent the hall, promote the show and charge at the door. Find a place with booze like a Legion and then promote the living sh!t out of it. Whack the local bar owners for a night one time and you'll have all the gigs you can play.

Always remember this- being able to play an instrument or sing is only about 40-50% of being a musician.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler;630111
    [B
    Always remember this- being able to play an instrument or sing is only about 40-50% of being a musician.
    [/B]

Chuck
    That's true.

Oh and my band always loves to open for other guys. We love to play first, kick @$$ and let the other band try to sound better. Sometimes people begin to leave after they start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    That's true.

Oh and my band always loves to open for other guys. We love to play first, kick @$$ and let the other band try to sound better. Sometimes people begin to leave after they start.
    You know, that is a real danger! Two personal experiences from opposite ends of the spectrum:
    1. Many years ago (circa 1968) I attended a concert. The headliner was Blood Sweat & Tears. The opening act was an unknown group from Laurel Canyon, California. Their drummer was a middle-aged bald guy who dressed all in black and wore sunglasses, even though it was nighttime. When the band hit the stage and the lead guitar player issued the first note, the concert went into high gear. The band was Spirit, and they became (and still are) one of my all-time favorite bands. BS&T were out of tune, the lead singer (David Clayton Thomas) was horrible, and if I never hear another BS&T tune again I won't lose any sleep.
    2. When I was in college, in Munich, Germany, I bought tickets to see Santana (who, oddly enough, is never included when top guitar players are mentioned). The opening act was named for its singer, Karen something-or-other. They and she were so bad, that the German audience, who don't play nice with awful, literally booed them off the stage. (Santana was one of the best concerts I've ever attended!).

Yeap.

Whenever we are asked to be the openers, we go "oh, you guys want us to open? Be our guest (while thinking to ourselves: but you better be damned good on that stage after we leave)!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Yeap.

Whenever we are asked to be the openers, we go "oh, you guys want us to open? Be our guest (while thinking to ourselves: but you better be damned good on that stage after we leave)!"
    Sergio, challenge accepted.

Don't be cocky. Be gracious. It's not a competition, it's business. The only thing that matters is how much money you brought in the door. You may have the world's best band but if you don't have the drawing power to headline it don't mean diddly.

If we booked, we promoted, we brought in and ran sound, we put up the light trusses and smoke, we filled the room and we got the money a little respect would be nice. If it wasn't for the headliner you might be playing to an empty room (or probably not at all!) and nobody would know you existed.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 10-27-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Sergio, challenge accepted.

Don't be cocky. Be gracious. It's not a competition, it's business. The only thing that matters is how much money you brought in the door. You may have the world's best band but if you don't have the drawing power to headline it don't mean diddly.

If we booked, we promoted, we brought in and ran sound, we put up the light trusses and smoke, we filled the room and we got the money a little respect would be nice. If it wasn't for the headliner you might be playing to an empty room (or probably not at all!) and nobody would know you existed.

Chuck
    You got me wrong.

Things work a little different here. I don't know what kind of venues you're into or how you manage your band, it's probably understandable that you took my attitude as cocky.

Here the house does most of the work you mentioned, not the headlining band. Sound, lighting, effects, everything is provided by the club or bar, and frequently the two or three bands that will play are in the same level of performance and production. Some are slightly more famous, but not so much. So sometimes other bands are ungracious and arrogant, which pisses us off and makes us kick their butts on stage.

When WE are the ones inviting the other bands for a show we are organizing, we are indeed quite fair and gentlemanly.

Yeah - I don't know...... so many thoughts on this.......

We had just lost my friend Smitty, a week before opening for one of the national acts........
    I had contacted the main character from the headline/tour act, and asked if he would honor us by joining in a tribute to my friend.
    I guess things are a little different within the blues community, but he did, and did so as it was an honor for him. His band came up and sand harmonies (unexpected) on the thrill is gone and it was like a very serious brotherhood.

THAT is how its supposed to work in my world. Healthy competition is one thing. but this was pretty special.
    THAT said, never try to show up your host, but its ok to step up your game. Keep some balance is a fair thought on that?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Yeap. There ought to be some elegance to it.

On our paying gigs, we never have an opening act unless we invite them. And that's rare. If it's a multi band bill, for us it'll usually be a charity gig. Someone else handles the production, we just get up and play. We always go for the early slot. When we finish playing, grab a drink or two and enjoy the other bands and leave when we want. Let someone else be the "headliner" and stick around until 1am.

He he, that's a really easy paradigm to break in a small town if you have a better band then they do. New bands starting out have to pay dues for sure, but if they have the goods it's really easy to break in.

Simple - rent the hall, promote the show and charge at the door. Find a place with booze like a Legion and then promote the living sh!t out of it. Whack the local bar owners for a night one time and you'll have all the gigs you can play.

Chuck
    Fortunately, my bands have never experienced the freeze out. I just see it with young bands around here. We have high unemployment rates, among the lowest in the state, and often, these young bands can't afford to rent out halls. But you're right--they'll have to beg club owners to get in. It's just that I see these "established" bands who ought to reach out to these bands but who need a little encouragement and a helping hand. As a result, you get the same 4 bands playing every major show. I'd actually rather see these younger bands.